Hardware Cleaning my flash cart's pins/connector? Bad connection?

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
My flash cart works nice but it is a bit rusty on getting/keeping a good connection to my GBA's slot. I use rubbing alcohol from time to time to improve it but it will need cleaning again after a few months.

This causes problems to start the cart or if I bump it when it's on it'll freeze.

What's a good way to clean it? Can I use electronic contact cleaner on the pins?
I tried cleaning out the GBA slot with alcohol and Qtips but there's still gunk in there too that probably contributes to a bad connection. Anyone know any good way to clean out a GBA slot too?

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Use isopropyl alcohol/rubbing alcohol *with no additives or dyes* to clean the contacts and some contacts cleaner/preserver to keep them in good shape.

I've been using isopropyl alcohol, I think something like 70% or 80%. It works wonders but it doesn't last. Will contact cleaner help it stay clean?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I've been using isopropyl alcohol, I think something like 70% or 80%. It works wonders but it doesn't last. Will contact cleaner help it stay clean?

maybe the problem is the gba slot? did you tried to clean the gba slot too? or you need to save your cart on a box with anti humidity packets, its not usual it requires always cleaning..

are the contact with visible rust or do they have green rust?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Contact cleaner is good stuff. Make sure you do not get automotive (it is too harsh) and if you can then try to get one safe for live products. Live safe stuff is a bit expensive though so maybe just take the battery out and/or force dry it with canned air.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
maybe the problem is the gba slot? did you tried to clean the gba slot too? or you need to save your cart on a box with anti humidity packets, its not usual it requires always cleaning..

are the contact with visible rust or do they have green rust?

It probably is. Like I've said, I've stuck Qtips with rubbing alcohol into the slot and a lot of gunk was in their. This is the SP I usually use. When I do clean the M3 there is a black streak on the qtip I clean it with, hinting to it getting dirty.

I've cleaned that slot each time and pretty much everytime I get more and more gunky stuff on the side of the qtip I cleaned it with, meaning that there's stuff still in the slot and a qtip isn't cutting it.

That's probably transferring onto my flash cart and making it have bad contact.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Once the golden protective plating rubs off due to wear and tear, there's little you can do to prevent gunk from accumulating on the contacts. You can use all sorts of preservers, but nothing replaces a good cleaning routine. :)

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Once the golden protective plating rubs off due to wear and tear, there's little you can do to prevent gunk from accumulating on the contacts. You can use all sorts of preservers, but nothing replaces a good cleaning routine. :)

Gold plating doesn't seem TOO worn. There is some wear on it. I did a Qtip wipe again to find black stuff on the Qtip even after cleaning it just yesterday.

I think the best bet is that I need to clean that SP if anything. There's obviously crap stuck in there that transfers to the flash cart.

Anyone think these are good? I remember having one for my GBC a long time ago as a kid, but I can't remember how good it is. I think it'll help clean my SP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370543520478?lpid=82

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou