Cleanest, Coolest Way to Have it All

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by fassbinder, Sep 2, 2011.

Sep 2, 2011
  1. fassbinder
    OP

Newcomer fassbinder Member

United States
    I've been a mostly ps3 gamer lately, but my girlfriend loves the wii so much. I have a 1tb USB Drive with the games we like/play the most and a few emulators and roms. What I want is to have all (or most) emu's, roms, wiiware (no VC, the emu's are fine) that I can have on the wii in the cleanest, and most organized way possible.

Should I put everything on the HDD and use forwarder channels? Should I keep everything in the homebrew channel? I know that everyone will have a personal preference, and that is what I'd like to know.... How do you have your wii's organized? What is your favorite way to have all of your games, roms, movies, and everything else easily accessible and still very organized?

2. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    My ENTIRE drive/s are FAT32, this way, all mp3's, movies, PS3, Wii games are all on there, just a matter of swapping out from console to console as I wish.
    I use CFG loader forwarder channel, installed with ModMii.

3. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    If you follow any guides, try to understand what you need and what you don't need. For usb loading for example, you only need one cIOS and a way to boot a loader. Well, i'd still recommend to install IOS236 as well, it's better for installing WADs, cIOS installers and whatnot, basically everything that is not usb loading and allows you to choose an IOS.

I think my Wii is clean:
    BootMii boot2 set to boot into HBC directly(brick protection + i don't use anything from the real system menu anyways)
    IOS236
    d2x with base IOS56 installed as IOS249
    sd card with a bunch of apps

Oh, and i do recommend to get a 2 GB sd card for everything that fits on it. It will save you a lot of hassle, lots of emulators and homebrew doesn't like all usb HDDs, if at all. And don't get me started on sdhc cards.

4. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    I use a sandisk 16gb sdhc class4 card for all my stuff, apps, emus, sneek... all working flawless.

Game wise, I still use WBFS partitions on my 2TB USB HDD, also works flawless.

+1 for WiiPowers IOS and cIOS recommendations.

5. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Using FAT 32 1 TB WD Element for my 200 Wii games.
    + 4 Virtual NANDS ( UNEEK + DI ) for all Wiiware and VC neatly organized over the 4 NANDS.
    I switch between the My Real NAND and the Virtual NANDS using switch2Uneek
    All my roms for the emulators ( wich are booted from my real NAND with the official channels )
    Are also stored on the same HDD.

So basicly my HDD holds ALL.
    As a backup, I have SMB share for all my roms, in case my HDD is being defragmented/ in case of crash.

I'm using different loaders for my games. On Uneek I'm using Joyflow to launch the channels installed on the NANDS.

On the "normal" Wii I'm using CFG loader, and USB loader GX 2.2

Modmii can set up Uneek for you it's AWESOME if you are into the Wiiware and original VC games. ( N64? )

6. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    I have my wii the same way as Wiipower but for the difference i boot directly into WiiMC.
    I use the same hard drive for ps2/ps3/wii so i only need it when i play games/wiiware. Everything You can pu on SMB.

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Hmm...if it's just emulators and roms you're interested in, I can suggest my own preference: Uneek+DI, priiloader installed, postloader and joyflow. It's not easy to set up, though.

-Uneek+DI is your wii emulated on your hard drive. Once it's set up, you won't need anything on your wii whatsoever. Everything is booted from the hard drive. Savegames, settings, miis...everything. I can buy a new wii, install bootmii on it (and probably priiloader to auto-boot it on the start), plug in my current hard disk and have everything on that. You won't even need any cIOS!

-priiloader is buggy under sneek. Then again, you only need it to do one thing: boot your wii into postloader instead of the wii menu.

-postloader is like the homebrew channel, but better. It can run all your channels as well as all your homebrew. And considering it'll load the channels from uneek's emulated nand, you can pretty much install any wiiware or VC your hard drive can hold.

Now...aside from the rather hard setup, it has other disadvantages you should know about:
    -it's kinda slow to start up.
    -uneek holds all your data, savegames and wii roms on your USB drive, but the USB drive cannot be used for anything else. in other words: all your emulators (and their roms) have to be run from SD card.
    -cIOS and uneek don't mix. Which means that the homebrew that doesn't use IOS56 (probably?) won't run. This doesn't apply for the emulators I know and use (swiss, vgax, fceu, snes9x, wii64, the PSX emulator and the arcade one), but it'll limit your other homebrew choices.
    -you'll have to convert your wii games to discex format. Thanks to modmii, this isn't a complex thing...but it'll take a lot of time.

I gotta say the end result sure looks pretty: I boot straight into the postloader menu with all my emulators (and joyflow) on a single page. [​IMG]

8. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Forgive me, but how exactly are you running Wii games on fat32? How do you split the files?

9. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Wii Backup Manager AUTOMATICALLY splits the files. Don't believe all of us? Try it out.

10. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    I have the following...
    256MB SD Card: Smash Stack
    512MB SD Card: Wii Hacking Apps
    512MB SD Card: NAND Clean App
    2GB SD Card: HBC Apps and WADs (VC/WiiWare)

WD 250GB HDD With about 23 Wii games!! lol