Classic RPG "Gothic" will be getting a remake for PC and next-gen consoles

220px-Gothiccover.png

Another oldschool role-playing game will be getting a new lease on life after popular demand, as announced by THQ Nordic. At the end of last year, the company tested the waters to see if fans would be interested in a remake of the classic game by releasing a two hour long prototype teasing the possibilities of what developers could create, if players were interested enough in the idea. It seems the prototype teaser garnered enough positive reception and over 180,000 unique players, and now a remake of the 2001 RPG has been greenlit. The next step for THQ Nordic is to form a new development studio in Spain, where they'll then work on improving upon the prototype and listening to input from fans, to create a remake that "will stay as faithfully as possible to the original experience and transport the atmospheric world of Gothic into a high quality look and carefully modernizing certain gameplay mechanics."

The Gothic remake won't release this year, and a current release window hasn't been confirmed, but when the game does release, it will be for PC and "next-gen" consoles.

After unambiguous feedback, THQ Nordic will head into full production on the Gothic Remake. Next step is to set up a Barcelona based studio and head into main production

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, February 19th, 2020: Just a little over two months after releasing a playable teaser for the Gothic Remake and asking the players for their feedback, the answer is clear: The fans are up for a new "old" Gothic game and the vast majority (read: 94,8%) was in favour to develop a remake of the iconic German RPG Gothic, originally released in 2001.

Over 180.000 players have played the playable teaser so far. On the evening (CET) of February 16 2020, THQ Nordic took the survey offline, and hereby publicly releases the raw data of the survey, as well as highlight graphs. With more than 43.000 answered surveys and over 9.000 (yes, really!) reviews on Steam and various discussions on all social media platforms, there is enough data to check.

Eager to check for yourself? As we want to start a transparent and open production with the community from the very start of the project, we are happy to offer you the results of our survey in a neat PDF file or - for the people who really want to dig into the raw data - the entire dataset with all 43.111 participants included.

Download the PDF: http://n.thq.com/sQC130qiBae
Download the raw data (.csv and .xlsx in a zip): http://n.thq.com/vIF030qippZ

Next Steps for the Gothic Remake

THQ Nordic will establish a new studio based in Barcelona, Spain, and will then assess what players liked and what they want to be different than in the playable teaser. One of the most common mentions was for example the demand for a grittier and less colourful world.

"We are up for the challenge to develop a full Gothic Remake which will stay as faithfully as possible to the original experience and transport the atmospheric world of Gothic into a high quality look and carefully modernizing certain gameplay mechanics." says Reinhard Pollice Business and Product Development Director at THQ Nordic.

The full Gothic Remake will go into production and will be developed for PC and next gen consoles. There is no release window available yet, but it will not be coming in 2020.

You want to learn more about the Gothic Playable Teaser? Check the official website: https://www.gothic-game.com/

:arrow: Source

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ive heard of the series never tried them-i like to hav the option of controlling a woman character so THQ if yr reading can you add a female looking goth character as i luv the goth make up and colors they wear

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This game is my childhood. They better not mess it up with the remake.
I wonder if the devs will be able to retain the rustic atmosphere that made the original so great.

They should get Kai Rosenkranz to do the music again.

People who quit the English version of the original because of the poor voice acting missed out on a great game. The NPCs were quite entertaining, they had more interesting day/night cycles than in many other games at the time.

We will obviously not get In Extremo again, and that makes me a bit sad:

Herr Mannelig herr Mannelig trolofven i mig...

Maybe they can bring back the abandoned mine and orc city quests that were cut from the game.

I hope they bring back Mud!

Getting him killed makes you feel good!

Last edited by Reynardine,
D

Deleted User

Time to go back and play through the oldies again, I guess! Gothic II was one of my most thoroughly played childhood games and I could never get bored of just messing around and taking in that atmosphere

upload_2020-2-20_10-54-4.png

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Reynardine

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Time to go back and play through the oldies again, I guess! Gothic II was one of my most thoroughly played childhood games and I could never get bored of just messing around and taking in that atmosphere

You kinda destroyed it, haha...

Messing around in Marvin mode was more fun than playing the game for me back then. Controlling other characters and monsters, getting them into brawls, changing their voices, removing or switching their clothes, making them fat, spawning monsters or dancing babes in the camp and all that stuff.

I enjoy replaying Gothic and the sequel even nowadays. I recently went through the scripts and fixed various bugs that the devs never bothered with and restored some cut characters and dialogue too. Like giving Ricelord his key, readding his trading dialogue and making his chest unlockable with said key.

Last edited by Reynardine,
Reactions: Deleted User

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I thought the remake had already been confirmed what with the playable teaser being released on Steam? Or is this announcement just that it will also come to consoles?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I thought the remake had already been confirmed what with the playable teaser being released on Steam? Or is this announcement just that it will also come to consoles?
The teaser wasn't a promise of a remake, it was solely created to gauge interest from gamers as to whether or not they should spend the time and money to complete one.

And it just happened to end up that those who played it were overwhelmingly positive of the prospect, so THQ is going ahead fully now.

Reactions: Skelletonike
D

Deleted User

Messing around in Marvin mode was more fun than playing the game for me back then. Controlling other characters and monsters, getting them into brawls, changing their voices, removing or switching their clothes, making them fat, spawning monsters or dancing babes in the camp and all that stuff.
It seems like our definition of messing around is about the same :P Young me couldn't believe that you could actually control other people and all those monsters back then, it was mind blowing at the time and I think most of my hours were spent just fooling with all the commands along those lines.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As I played the Demo I'd say "this is a Sad day for every Gothic fan"
for me the Demo was so unbearable bad that I stopped after 30 minutes and Deleted the game Asap.

Kinda weird move of them adding a survey AFTER completing the whole thing asking if it was good ... so people like me who were shocked how bad this was never got asked at all.

The teaser wasn't a promise of a remake, it was solely created to gauge interest from gamers as to whether or not they should spend the time and money to complete one.

And it just happened to end up that those who played it were overwhelmingly positive of the prospect, so THQ is going ahead fully now.

Wrong, as I mentioned only those who completed the thing probably really seemed to like it ... everyone else wasn't asked and in the Steam forum there were MANY critics about how bad this was. This didn't feel like a Remake at all, it felt like something completely different and not in a good way.

Last edited by Youkai,

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
Loved Gothic 1 and 2. Have not played the demo, seem the reviews and it is not looking like the same game at all.

If they are changing so many things already I doubt it will end up being the same game.. as it is happening in recent times they will most likely end up butchering the game's name and franchise if they make too many wrong changes.

It's still early so willing to see where they take it. But not putting my hopes up.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'll be looking forward to this. We had plenty of awesome RPG series in the early 2000's an late 90's.
Hopefully we get some new Neverwinter Nights games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: prime deez nuts