1. 2,761

Front-page
    220px-Gothiccover.png
    Another oldschool role-playing game will be getting a new lease on life after popular demand, as announced by THQ Nordic. At the end of last year, the company tested the waters to see if fans would be interested in a remake of the classic game by releasing a two hour long prototype teasing the possibilities of what developers could create, if players were interested enough in the idea. It seems the prototype teaser garnered enough positive reception and over 180,000 unique players, and now a remake of the 2001 RPG has been greenlit. The next step for THQ Nordic is to form a new development studio in Spain, where they'll then work on improving upon the prototype and listening to input from fans, to create a remake that "will stay as faithfully as possible to the original experience and transport the atmospheric world of Gothic into a high quality look and carefully modernizing certain gameplay mechanics."

The Gothic remake won't release this year, and a current release window hasn't been confirmed, but when the game does release, it will be for PC and "next-gen" consoles.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (21 replies)

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Neat. I remember Gothic being really fun back in the day, I figured they'd actually do the remake after the whole "playable teaser" thing they did but nice to have it confirmed.

Reynardine likes this.
  4. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    ive heard of the series never tried them-i like to hav the option of controlling a woman character so THQ if yr reading can you add a female looking goth character as i luv the goth make up and colors they wear

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Never heard of this game. :blink:

KingVamp and atoxique like this.
  6. CrazyFryta

CrazyFryta Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    I am so happy, this game was very popular in my country in beginig of 21 century

Last edited by CrazyFryta, Feb 19, 2020
    Reynardine likes this.
  7. RedoLane

RedoLane Unemployed Punmaster

Israel
    Now that's a name i haven't heard for a long time...

Reynardine and RetroNostalgia like this.
  8. Reynardine

Reynardine The Villagefox

Germany
    This game is my childhood. They better not mess it up with the remake.
    I wonder if the devs will be able to retain the rustic atmosphere that made the original so great.

They should get Kai Rosenkranz to do the music again.

People who quit the English version of the original because of the poor voice acting missed out on a great game. The NPCs were quite entertaining, they had more interesting day/night cycles than in many other games at the time.

We will obviously not get In Extremo again, and that makes me a bit sad:

Herr Mannelig herr Mannelig trolofven i mig...

Maybe they can bring back the abandoned mine and orc city quests that were cut from the game.

I hope they bring back Mud!

Getting him killed makes you feel good!

Last edited by Reynardine, Feb 20, 2020
  9. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Dust2#9629

Australia
    Time to go back and play through the oldies again, I guess! Gothic II was one of my most thoroughly played childhood games and I could never get bored of just messing around and taking in that atmosphere

upload_2020-2-20_10-54-4.png

Last edited by kikongokiller, Feb 20, 2020
    Reynardine likes this.
  10. Reynardine

Reynardine The Villagefox

Germany
    You kinda destroyed it, haha...

Messing around in Marvin mode was more fun than playing the game for me back then. Controlling other characters and monsters, getting them into brawls, changing their voices, removing or switching their clothes, making them fat, spawning monsters or dancing babes in the camp and all that stuff.

I enjoy replaying Gothic and the sequel even nowadays. I recently went through the scripts and fixed various bugs that the devs never bothered with and restored some cut characters and dialogue too. Like giving Ricelord his key, readding his trading dialogue and making his chest unlockable with said key.

Last edited by Reynardine, Feb 20, 2020
    kikongokiller likes this.
  11. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish
    Former Staff

Japan
    I thought the remake had already been confirmed what with the playable teaser being released on Steam? Or is this announcement just that it will also come to consoles?

12. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    it's a really nice game, hopefully they keep the main aspects though

13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    The teaser wasn't a promise of a remake, it was solely created to gauge interest from gamers as to whether or not they should spend the time and money to complete one.

And it just happened to end up that those who played it were overwhelmingly positive of the prospect, so THQ is going ahead fully now.

Skelletonike likes this.
  14. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Dust2#9629

Australia
    It seems like our definition of messing around is about the same :P Young me couldn't believe that you could actually control other people and all those monsters back then, it was mind blowing at the time and I think most of my hours were spent just fooling with all the commands along those lines.

Reynardine likes this.
  15. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Germany
    As I played the Demo I'd say "this is a Sad day for every Gothic fan"
    for me the Demo was so unbearable bad that I stopped after 30 minutes and Deleted the game Asap.

Kinda weird move of them adding a survey AFTER completing the whole thing asking if it was good ... so people like me who were shocked how bad this was never got asked at all.

Wrong, as I mentioned only those who completed the thing probably really seemed to like it ... everyone else wasn't asked and in the Steam forum there were MANY critics about how bad this was. This didn't feel like a Remake at all, it felt like something completely different and not in a good way.

Last edited by Youkai, Feb 20, 2020
    Reynardine likes this.
  16. Nobody_Important4u

Nobody_Important4u Just Another Shitposter

Poland
    Hey this game was really popular in my country but mostly due having translation to my languege a not because it was good. i will be looking at reaction of my folks.

17. Bullseye

Bullseye GBAtemp Fan

Loved Gothic 1 and 2. Have not played the demo, seem the reviews and it is not looking like the same game at all.

If they are changing so many things already I doubt it will end up being the same game.. as it is happening in recent times they will most likely end up butchering the game's name and franchise if they make too many wrong changes.

It's still early so willing to see where they take it. But not putting my hopes up.

Reynardine likes this.
  18. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I'll be looking forward to this. We had plenty of awesome RPG series in the early 2000's an late 90's.
    Hopefully we get some new Neverwinter Nights games.

Reynardine likes this.
  19. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Germany
    Gothic and NWN are so completely different that you can not really compare them I'd say oO

20. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Where exactly did I compare them?

21. Eudorae

Eudorae Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I think it is a good idea

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - consoles, Classic, getting