Gaming Classic NES Series for Game Boy Advance

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Of the 12 games in the Classic NES Series, 7 are unplayable for me. Has anyone else experienced this?

The ones that are one megabyte in size are the problem, the rest are 4 megabytes in size, and they work perfectly. The problem is that most of the input isn't registered, I have to spam it. Moving a character is impossible, spamming the directional pas results in miniscule movements every once in a while. Even pressing Start at the title screen or registering my character name is nearly impossible. I'm using an EZflash 3 in 1, with an Acekard 2i, and a DS Lite.

The games that aren't working right are, (these are all 1mb):
Excitebike
The Legend of Zelda
Bomberman
Castlevania
Dr. Mario
Metroid
Zelda II: The Legend of Link

The games that work perfectly are, (these are all 4mb):
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong
Ice Climber
Pac-Man
Xevious

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I'll do that. Thanks!

I do still have to wonder why these are the only games that don't seem to work, and why they need to be patched. I thought this hardware (EZ 3 in 1 and AK2i) had near complete ROM compatibility.

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I was able to apply the patched uses either one of the applications mentioned in that thread in the link- IPSWin or GBATA, but posts in that thread also mention that the roms can be trimmed to a smaller size- IPSWin doesn't trim them, and GBATA's "Trim" option is greyed out, (not to mention, IPS patching with GBATA actually made the roms larger in size!).

I'd really like to trim these if I can get them down to 128kb or 256kb. Does anyone know about this?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
classic nes games are known to cause problems, probably because of the way they are emulated/ported making them very different from native gba games.

Reactions: 1 person

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Here's a wild thought how about playing the nes roms on the nes emu for nds. I don't see the point of all this fuss about trying to get them to play on a gba emu.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They are more emulated than recompiled/ported.
As for problems some of the classic nes/famicom mini series are some of the few GBA games with anything in the way of code level anti piracy (the others are some of the dragon ball Z titles and people have wondered about samurai deeper kyo) so we tend to tell people just to emulate them instead- pocketnes and HVCA if going for GBA or nesDS if you want DS stuff (well I guess you could have a go at some of the other nes emulators but nesDS is arguably the best). If nothing else you gain extra features (cheats, savestates and whatever else) and if going for the DS methods then you should also dodge the screen issues (the NES has a higher resolution than the GBA so tiles were cropped/interpolated or resized).

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr