mixinluv2u

OP
Trophies
Website
www.glowsticking.com
XP
Country
United States
i know A-Data's Class 6 card is pretty much the best/fastest cards right now. but has anyone tried the other brand cards?

i read that Sandisk Class 4 is kind of too slow, but how about other brand's Class 6? like PQI or Transcend for example.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mixinluv2u said:
i know A-Data's Class 6 card is pretty much the best/fastest cards right now. but has anyone tried the other brand cards?

i read that Sandisk Class 4 is kind of too slow, but how about other brand's Class 6? like PQI or Transcend for example.

Not sure about PQI at all, but I've heard that Transcend is slightly slower than the A-Data. It's hardly noticible, they said.

Also, yes, Sandisk Class 4 cards are very slow. I have one, and it freezes too often. I still don't regret getting it, however, seeing

I needed the space.

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
doesn't "Class 6" == 6MB/sec, and "Class 4" == 4MB/sec? doesn't matter too much for DS use though, i think the maximum theoretical rate is around 3MB/sec, since the DS media adaptors all use SPI (1-bit) mode instead of the faster proprietary 4-bit SD mode.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
jeklnoo said:
doesn't "Class 6" == 6MB/sec, and "Class 4" == 4MB/sec? doesn't matter too much for DS use though, i think the maximum theoretical rate is around 3MB/sec, since the DS media adaptors all use SPI (1-bit) mode instead of the faster proprietary 4-bit SD mode.
Actually, what matters is the random access speed of the microsd cards.

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got SanDisk Class 4 8GB SDHC and I've never had problems. I even tested both Castlevania and no problems. I've got no freezing, crashing or non playable roms yet. Like thebobevil said, it depends on the quality of the card and how friendly it is with your flashcart. Mine's CycloDS and again, no problems. Much faster than R4DS and DS FireLink.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
is there anywhere in the UK that sells the A-Data cards? and at a reasonable price? i just want to check before i resort to buying one from Hong Kong or something.

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
wilddenim said:
I bought mine at eBay. So checked there for you, prices are very reasonable but I'd understand if you want to avoid eBay. I tried Amazon.co.uk. No luck.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...le=a-data+micro

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADATA-8GB-SD-HC-8-GB...idZp1638Q2em125

This is a bargian.

Google is your best friend. I rarely buy my cards from retail stores - have you seen their prices?

nah, i don't mind using ebay, i was just wondering if any UK-based online stores had them in so i could get one fairly soon instead of waiting for shipping from HK. 's no big deal, anyway.

totally agree about retail stores though, i was in maplins today and they were charging ONE HUNDRED POUNDS for a SanDisk 8gb one. i didn't check what class it was but i'm pretty bloody sure it wasn't 6 either.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i had a sandisk class 2 4GB but had no problems with games freezing or lagging (except the movie in castlevania which i don't play). but i ordered a 4GB a-data class 6 card and it came yesterday through the door. only cost me £18 from ireland.i'll try it later and put the 4GB sandisk in my n95.........sudeki300

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never had any troubles with the J Kingston 2 gig one. I recently picked up a 4 gig Class 6 Transcend (for less than I spent on the Kingston, not even a year later... wow how prices drop) and haven't had any issues with it either. Now I can't say the same with the T made version of the Kingston, it has the slowdowns with the usual culprits (Downhill Jam and Castlevania)

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A-Data 4gig Class 6 - $20 @ Newegg

I just purchased this one on friday (came out to $20.XX total after a 1.99 shipping
grog.gif
) and i'll be getting it today or tomorrow (or maybe the next day), but yea, it SHOULD be good
smile.gif

JSalcedo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a Kingston 4GB Taiwan
wacko.gif
, and it is doing GREAT. At first it was a bit slow, but then I used Panasonic SD Formatter on it and oh boy, did that eliminate all of my problems.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JSalcedo said:
I currently have a Kingston 4GB Taiwan
wacko.gif
, and it is doing GREAT. At first it was a bit slow, but then I used Panasonic SD Formatter on it and oh boy, did that eliminate all of my problems.

What does the SD Formatter do and is it a freebie? (i'm checking google right now, but i figure an answer here would help others as well
smile.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.