Class 6 - available only on SDHC?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by ElChupaNibre, Jul 4, 2008.

Jul 4, 2008
  1. ElChupaNibre
    OP

Newcomer ElChupaNibre Member

United Kingdom
    I need a MicroSD card to complement the CycloDS that I'm about to order. I was initially looking to get a Kingston 2GB (that's plenty enough space for me), but reading around it seems that Class 6 cards are recommended for flash card use.

However, most online stores don't actually list what class the cards are. And I can't find any 2GB class 6 cards. Does that mean that 'class 6' is only available on SDHC (4GB+ cards)?

If that is the case, then what would be the best 4GB class 6 card to get? I've read good things about Kingston, A-Data and Transcend... however, some reviews have suggested that SDHC cards take more battery power than normal SD cards. The 4GB space really isn't necessary, I just want the card with the best performance.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to clear up some confusion before I take the plunge!

2. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    The one with best performance is Kingston 1 GB (Japan).
    As for SDHC-cards A-data 4 GB class 6 is said to be the best, but Kingston 4 GB (Japan/Taiwan) class 4 are also very good.

And yes, SDHC-memorycards draws a little more power, but it's hardly noticeable.

3. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    I've got CycloDS and SanDisk Class 4 8GB. I've been very happy with it. No problems reported.

4. ElChupaNibre
    OP

United Kingdom
    Interesting, what makes the 1GB Kingston a better performer than other cards?

Also, I've seen a few people mentioned specific countries... any particular reason (higher quality of card perhaps)? So does that mean, for example, that only the Japanese-made Kingston 1GB is worth getting?

5. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    The difference between the between the Japan-made Kingston 1 GB microSD and the Taiwan one is that the one made in Taiwan are of much lower quality and is much slower in just about everything while the Japan-made are of high quality with excellent performance. However 4 GB Kingston Taiwan isn't slow even though it's made in Taiwan, actually it has really good performance.

6. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Classes are only for SDHC cards. All non-SDHC are slower in general than SDHC. That's why it doesn't really matter if you have a Taiwanese-made SDHC. But for a 2GB card the best is Kingston Japan, others will most likely lag on problematic games.

7. ElChupaNibre
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay, I wanted to go for the A-data 4GB Class 6 card - which seems to be the best according to most people - but it's a little hard to find in the UK. Plus, I've read that the newer batch of cards aren't as fast as the old ones.

If SDHC does not offer any benefits over normal SD cards (apart from higher capacity), then I'll just go for a 2GB Japanese Kingston. Would that be fast + decent enough for the CycloDS? Or is it really worth hunting out a decent SDHC?

8. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    2GB Kingston Japan is the best MicroSD for any flash card.

9. tedmg09130913

Member tedmg09130913 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It seems that the class is only the lowest guaranteed speed. When accessing a sd micro card with a computer my most people will see a consistent write speed of 3.4x MB per second. Even on a sandisk class 2 card. The read speed may be faster.

10. starfox468

Member starfox468 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Don't worry, flash cards (or is it carts) don't really have problems with slow microsds anymore.
    I would reccomend a kingston japanese 1Gb if you want the fastest,
    But class 4 do perfectly fine with no freezing too

11. ElChupaNibre
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've found a Kingston 4GB SDHC Class 4 card for around £12.50 ($25) delivered, I think I'll go for that.

Cheers all!

12. Byakkotai

Newcomer Byakkotai Member

United Kingdom
    I bought my A-Data from ebay. It's 4gb Class 6 and cost £14.52 or AU$29