Hacking Clarify how to run homebrew and roms.

Pher64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I am in the process of getting a Nintendo DS Lite, and an Acekard 2.1 to run homebrew and DS Roms.
This is my understanding of how this works, I get the Acekard, put it in the Top slot, and it takes over from there.
It takes care of itself basically right?
And for running the roms, am I right that I would need an Micro SD card and just put the DS Rom files on there, and it would just let me run them?
I'm a bit mixed up over this, and I am sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forums.
Please help,
And thank you.
wacko.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes. You need the "firmware" (operating system / menu) for your cart on the microsd as well, for acekards this consists of an akmenu file and an _aio folder.

Once you have that and choose to start the flash cart (from the DS's menu) it takes over and presents you with menus to browse around the contents of the microsd and choose the game or homebrew file to run.

Games can go anywhere (except in the _aio folder), homebrew is best left in the root (main section, not in a folder) of the card. While some homebrew works fine anywhere, many do not so it's safer to just put them all in the root anyways.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pher64 said:
Alright, I am in the process of getting a Nintendo DS Lite, and an Acekard 2.1 to run homebrew and DS Roms.
This is my understanding of how this works, I get the Acekard, put it in the Top slot, and it takes over from there.
It takes care of itself basically right?
And for running the roms, am I right that I would need an Micro SD card and just put the DS Rom files on there, and it would just let me run them?
I'm a bit mixed up over this, and I am sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forums.
Please help,
And thank you.
wacko.gif

No, you need to pet it every 15 minutes otherwise it gets sad and stops working.

Nah, but seriously, what Rydian said.

Get the _aio and akmenu.nds files off akaio.net

Pher64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just get those files off of the site, and then make a separate files for my games and such?
And those all go on my SD card?
That simple?

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. Just keep in mind that the first time you run a .nds file, a .sav will be created with the same name (except for the extension.) These .sav files are generally only about 512 kb in size. Don't max out your micro sd with so many .nds files that there is no room for .sav files because they will be created anyway and possibly corrupt your micro sd.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Refer to my previous post.

EDIT: Unless you get Premium Flashing for $2 @ ShopTemp.

EDIT 2: Also, you simply must get MoonShell 2 (Google it), it's a media player for flashcarts that can display images, play music, movies, etc.

Pher64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, just a big noob about all this, sorry if it is a bit tiring with all these simple questions.

Pher64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's just really pathetic.
I am seriously lost, I did mention n00b.. :/
Anyways, if someone can help and explain this all to me, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why are you asking random questions? First get the ds lite and the acekard. Then, try things for yourself, and you will notice that most of this stuff is pretty much self-explanatory.
wink.gif

We will help you if you don't get something to work, but first try it yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended