Clarification on Xbox 360: This stuff will not get you banned.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by lisreal2401, Jun 12, 2013.

1. lisreal2401
    OP

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    So, I've seen lots of information spread around, not just by this community but by others, about the 360 and what can get you banned from live. I want to clarify some stuff to make sure this doesn't happen...

1: Playing games early gets you banned - This really is hard to say either way as it's more based on the fact you're playing early than you getting free games :P

2: Savegame mods can get you banned - No, unless you do stuff online and get reported a bunch.

3: Getting "failed to authroize" error - No, this doesn't flag you. It can happen on legit systems with real games.

4: Burning games badly or with modified files: No, it's not checked for, again only way to be banned is from reports.

5: Using a different DVD drive than the one that came with your Xbox - No, as long as you don't spoof to prevent errors with XGD3 games. There is no need to spoof as any drive will work as long as you keep the original DVD key in place. One thing to be aware of. Do not use a Samsung and Hitachi 46-59dj drive in a console with a lite on or ben-q drive. It will work but XGD3 games will not, in terms of vice versa it should work but I'm not sure. Haven't tried that swap.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Point 3, yes it does happen on legit systems indeed.
    But several games with an AP2.5 failure flag does draw the attention of MS.
    It does flag you and it will be visable by MS.
    If it's banable, I heard that they didn't cared as much anymore as they used to (when they got reports of legit discs triggering AP2.5 on legit systems) but still, better safe then sorry.

Point 4, you can't modify games (well depends on the game ofcourse) but most of the files on the disc are checked for signatures.
    Modifying those will break the signatures and make the game unbootable.

Point 5, As far as I know, you can't flash your DVD keys of a Liteon to a Ben-Q drive.
    The OSIG must also be changed to match that the OSIG in your Keyvault.
    And yes, spoofing a non AP2.5 drive to a AP2.5 active drive does fail AP2.5 checks indeed. ;]
    Spoofing a AP2.5 active drive to a non AP2.5 keyvault will disable the AP2.5 checks in the firmware of the drive indeed.

3. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    my 360 gammer tag was banned in 2009 for playing a forza game about a week early . I never went online with the game but I think I MS was still checking my system , so after the ban , I deleted the game saves and all that . Got a new gamer tag paid another 50 to MS and the fuckers banned my console about 3 days later .

4. lisreal2401
    OP

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    You can use any DVD drive Dinoh. There's a post over a another forum explaining........

Here's the post

You've misread this entire thread if you put a Samsung into a console that originally had a BenQ.

All consoles have been updated with AP 2.5 capability. However, whether the AP 2.5 checks are active or not depends on the original drive that came with the console.

Within the KV (Key Vault) of the Nand there is a setting called the OSIG. The OSIG is the original drive type that came with the console. This can't be changed anymore (even with the CPU key.) Here's a screenshot of the OSIG and the different drive types.

AP 2.5 capable drives are Hitachi 78/79, BenQ 6243/6493, and LiteOn 7485/8385/9345. (Some Hitachi 78/79 consoles have been found not performing AP25 checks but it's foolish not to treat them all as performing them.)

If the OSIG is Hitachi 59 or lower, or Samsung 25 or 28, then your console turns off the AP 2.5 challenges. Any drive can be used as a replacement for a console with a non-AP 2.5 capable OSIG type as long as you only inject the DVD key into the replacement drive's firmware and don't spoof the drive type.

If the OSIG is Hitachi 78 or 79, any BenQ, or any LiteOn, then AP 2.5 challenges will be active REGARDLESS of what drive your console has. If you put a non-AP 2.5 drive in a console with an AP 2.5 capable OSIG, the console will make the challenge and get no response as the drive simply cannot give one. No response or an improper response both result in an AP 2.5 challenge failure.

Playing AP 2.5 games offline or on a banned console won't make a difference as the AP 2.5 challenges will still prevent backups discs that fail from playing on an updated dash.

The only situation where this doesn't apply is with a Jtag/RGH console where AP 2.5 has been patched out of the hacked dash firmware.

8/6/2012 EDIT:

I've been running my main online console with a LiteOn (as a replacement for a BenQ) for over 6 months. The LiteOn has remained in it during updates as well and I had no update problems. A few weeks ago I dumped the Nand and found no new flags.

As far as I'm concerned, running a different replacement drive following the guidelines above for AP25 capable drives and not spoofing the drive type, is just as Xbox Live safe as playing backups on Live.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    You don't have to tell me which DVD drives you can't use ;p
    Been messing around with 360 for a long time.

Me info is indeed a bit outdated on drive spoofing, however I prefer to play it safe and spoof drive OSIGs
    Can't get to careful when you're on Live with flashed drives.

You're spot on on the AP2.5 section tho.