1. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I do not think that they hate Mac, but they have to start somewhere.

I used to think that Linux is good. I still think so, but for different reasons (mainly it being free software and its non-home user uses). It is not useful for most home users imho and despite all the different attempts by different distro people I really do not think that it ever really will be.

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee, May 21, 2020 at 10:44 PM
  2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    You can still get centralized locations for your games, you just have to use another launcher to do so. Playnite and GOG Galaxy both support linking your accounts for other launchers and showing and launching games from them. You still need to have said launchers installed on your PC, but at least it lets you browse all your games in one spot.

3. Seliph

Seliph Resident Anarcho-Commie

United States
    Oh, I didn't know that about GOG and Playnite, that's pretty cool. So you can access both epic and steam games through those launchers?

4. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    Yeah, they sync to your accounts and then you can access the games from both of those. However, for DRM reasons it has to launch the launcher too when you launch the games. I know gog has an option to automatically close the launcher when you turn off the game, and I imagine playnite has something similar. While it'll show not installed games, it won't be able to install them by itself though, probably for DRM reasons again, so you still need to go through the proper launcher to download games. Once you have them installed it should all work though, and just for browsing your library and starting games it's pretty handy. But if the goal is reducing the amount of installed programs it won't help.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Do I need my storefront to do more than allow me to click on the game I want, tap in some details and download afterwards/later once I can be bothered (and then maybe again in the future)?

"more space on your hard drive"
    Is that more than a drop in the bucket for modern drives?

" Ideally, you should be able to have a centralized location for your games, but Epic exclusives mess that all up."
    And Steam exclusives don't?

Skelletonike and banjo2 like this.
  6. tranceology3

tranceology3 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Well the way I look at it is, am I happy a consumer, is everything working the way I want, do I have options?

A lot of what you said is subjective, and is just user preference. All I really care about is playing the game. Sure there are little things that I may not like about Epic and Steam, but at the end of the day its 95% about playing games and 5% about actually caring about the store's platform ( and this is just my preference ). Again, I have never had an issue with the "user experience" with Epic because I just find my game, and hit play, and I am good - but each their own and thats fine.

Your analogy to more storefronts like all the streaming platforms doesn't apply in this case because Steam and Epic don't require a monthly subscription to use. All those other video streaming sites add up big time cause you usually pay $10/month just to have a few exclusives. Steam and Epic are free to access, super easy to launch on my PC and I can access my library in seconds, personally I couldn't care less which store has which exclusives. As long as its the same game - I will use the store that offers the cheapest one.

Again your idea of a lame game launcher is totally subjective. It works perfectly fine in my experience, and they offer free games that are still decent - so I will 100% support that as it will pull me away as a customer from Steam, which will have to compete to get me back as a customer. Now if say they were offering free games but needed something sensitive from me, like personal data, ok then, I am not in favor of their business model. So I still think this is one of the best things for consumers - free is free, no other way at looking at it, as long as the game runs exactly like it would on Steam I dont know how anyone can complain. Low income, and particularly kids are loving life right now with Epic!

Last edited by tranceology3, May 22, 2020 at 2:08 AM
    Seliph likes this.
  7. Seliph

Seliph Resident Anarcho-Commie

United States
    Yes, I think a good storefront is pretty impor
    You're right, I suppose I was just saying what mattered to me most and thinking about it, your post does make quite a bit more sense than mine.

tranceology3 likes this.
  8. frankGT

frankGT GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    I like your logic, i think the same, the difference being, if only 1 game out of 50 made me spend time gaming, that's the one to buy and support.
    I hate having to be invested in a game just because i bought it, pirating makes all the value come from the game itself!

Goku1992A likes this.
  9. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Why download a game I know I'll have no interest in playing? After all, if I wanted a game free, I could just go and sail-*cough* ahem, I mean, support the developers monetarily!

I can't see this strategy working for them long term. Every company has a profit motive, and not every company would just start going and giving every latest release away for free. Money has to be made, especially if said companies want to turn games into services, as much as I hate the whole concept of that.

And I take it that EGS still has a ways to go in getting all of the features Steam has, especially if @Lilith Valentine mentioning a lack of Linux support. As someone who tried a few games with Proton, it actually usually just works. If not, either the game has some stupid always-online BS like Injustice 2, MK11, or Deus Ex Mankind Divided or just has some visual glitches in KOF XIII's case that requires switching to an older version of Proton that's easy to do, all things considered!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh, I see. They're looking for free beta testers...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Just because you bought a game doesn't mean you're obligated to play it immediately. I'd say that a lot of people's Steam backlogs from Steam sales and Humble Bundles/Fanatical deals is larger than you'd think. I got Skullgirls for a whopping $1 off of Fanatical. $1! About the amount you'd pay for a drink at a vending machine! I haven't played the game as much as the others in my backlog, but it's not like I won't ever play the game ever!

10. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    This model simply isn't sustainable, though. Fortnite had its MW2 moment in 2018, no doubt about it, but I know people who've quit playing it in favor of Apex, COD: Modern Warfare...Modern. Warfare. (There's a series for a Chronologically Confused episode for the AVGN) and COD: Warzone. Epic may have made a lot of money from Fortnite, but they're going to have to do more than depend on a stream that will dry up one day and keep spending money left and right.

They just made a new version of their Unreal engine, but are they going to even be able to recoup costs for development on it if, like some games this past generation, they just use a modified Unreal 3 like with most of WB's higher profile games, or if they just use their own engine in Capcom's case? And let's not get into the performance issues for some games like Tekken 7 running in 900p on the base PS4 models which, for a fighting game, is headscratching that it can't reach 1080p with no problem.

We'll have to wait and see how each dev adopts and use each engine for the new consoles, but if what I heard about AC: Valhalla's performance is anything to go off of, all I have to say about the PS5 and XSEX's performance is:

CactusMan likes this.
  11. CactusMan

CactusMan Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    We probably pirated the game anyway, why even bother. Just sell COD players some more loot crates.

12. Dasanko

Dasanko Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    But even games that are years old are better than none. For instance, they gave away Crimes & Punishments, which I hadn't bought in Steam in all these years because the price there is absurdly high, even during seasonal sales.

I'm not sure why hasn't this been a much bigger problem with other exclusive storefronts, such as Origin and Uplay. Feel free to add the Bethesda launcher and the RockStar launcher there now, too. You may argue they too are a problem, but you explicitly singled out Epic's alone.

13. MadMakuFuuma

MadMakuFuuma Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    nah man, just ignore the trolls XD

SuperDan likes this.
  14. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    I was waiting for the definitive edition to come, but I'll get this one for now. I had Civilization Anthology (that I later sold) and CIV V.
    I'm not one to complain, and Epic sometimes has some good deals.
    My favorite is still GoG, though.

15. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Madagascar
    Time to play that game that has no exploit whatsoever ;)

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Make hay while the sun shines, if you are investing before you are dying then that is probably for the best, if you have blue skies then do what you feel like but if grey then prepare for rain...
    If they can establish themselves now then that is an awful lot easier than in a few years if they get a downturn.

Also they more or less get 5% off the top (sales and any internal transactions, probably DLC as well)
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/eula/publishing (worth a read actually as it speaks to it maybe being used in some quite interesting things like architecture).
    Don't know if that changes if you get holdouts on unreal 3 but I don't imagine the cut changed that much (maybe between 1 and today but by 3 they were already well established).

Re: Linux and a guess OSX
    Does it really matter? Is it either that big a market or full of taste makers that it is more than a nicety? Equally on Valve/Steam was it them being nice or wanting a soft push so they don't have to ride the directX/Microsoft train into the scene of the crash?

Skelletonike likes this.
  17. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Togo
    Nice giveaway. As a steam fanboy these kinda makes me want to swallow my pride and finally install epic games launcher.

SuperDan likes this.
  18. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

United States
    Alwsyd do! Always will!

MadMakuFuuma likes this.
  19. Gon Freecss

Gon Freecss Privacy Advocate

Venezuela
    We should make a thread to keep a list of free games as they release

20. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Gon Freecss likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Civilization, latest, Store