Civ Revolution question

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by boogaert-martijn, Jul 19, 2008.

Jul 19, 2008
  1. boogaert-martijn
    OP

Newcomer boogaert-martijn Newbie

Netherlands
    if i customly order my workers to work, they don't make money...
    but when i put the focus of a city on gold, the city make's money... don't understand this because i had my workers in custom focus on the same places and didn't earn any:(

2. JohnSearle

Newcomer JohnSearle Member

United States
    I think the tiles that are worked for 'trade' are used for either gold or science, so you pretty well have to specify which to use by first choosing the focus, and then choosing customize. I could be wrong, though.

The actual micromanagement was pretty well overlooked altogether in this game. I also found that they put very little effort into balancing the game's strategies against the AI. So far I've managed to win without any effort on Emperor by focusing on first science, and then gold production, using the tech bonuses to propel me. The AI's sell their techs without any forethought, so anything I missed in focusing on science and gold can be bought, and then an army can be purchased without any work at all.

Another thing that got me is that spamming cities no longer is a negative. In Civ4, for instance, if you go nuts with producing cities, you cannot support them and will probably lose all scientific progress. In Civ Rev, the only thing holding you back from going nuts with building cities is land and being able to defend them, well that and it uses pop... but new cities for some reason start out with enough pop to build a settler right off.

Anyway, enough of a rant. Game is still good for what it is - a portable strategy game.

- John

3. boogaert-martijn
    OP

Newcomer boogaert-martijn Newbie

Netherlands
    thanks for your reply, it worked for me [​IMG]

4. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    such a good game

5. JohnSearle

United States
    agreed.

To anyone who cares, they are keeping track of the DS GotW scores at civfanatics...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=283459

If you beat the GotW, pop on there and let us know your score.

- John

6. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Emperor level that easy eh? I must be doing something wrong as difficulty 2 is not so much causing me problems but 2 certain civs just won't go away. I'm trying to kill the Egyptians and they keep seemingly have another 1500s era type town of some good size hiding ...and then another.

I find that the balance seems fairly crap when it comes to attacking a city. It totally defies logic that a bunch of bowmen can drop a sherman tank. And prior to that it's just seemingly pointless at all to attack a town as everyone dies until you get up to where you can lob in catapult or cannon shot which seems fairly dumb as CIV1/2 wasn't like that.

So, you're saying if I make 2-3 towns, maybe kill someone if they're really near by fast before they have archers to get a few more...stop there. Then, set basically every damn town after making a basic defense of a few units to Science and learn crap up to say artillery/tanks and then backswing into cash and just mop the floor with people?

7. JohnSearle

United States
    Something like that.

I found after a few games that you can actually form armies out of three units as well. You get three of the same units, and then press 'x' to form the army, which triples its attack and defense.

As for the research path... I usually research alphabet->writing->courthouse->democracy (gives you hoplite)->mathematics->invention->etc.

Currency is also in there after democracy, but I vary depending on what I'm producing using my cities... If I'm at war, then I'm building (or buying) a few defense units to make armies, and thus currency is useless, because you don't have time to implement the markets.

Usually the comps will all start declaring war on you by the time you hit courthouse, so I try to have the closest city have an archer or hoplite army present. Also a catapult army gives even better odds of defending, since can wipe out their weak attackers before they even siege the city.

If you place your cities correctly, the closest civs will be weak, because you'll have stopped them at a key point at which they need to cross to expand, making expansion without war impossible. They'll siege that single city, so make sure it has the best defense.

I also buy about 2-3 warriors to explore early and collect the barb huts. They'll bring you over 100 gold, which will give you a free settler due to economic milestone, and they'll also give you the locations of the ancient temples which you'll use later on in the game to get three free techs at navigation.

That's my strategy up to the point where I start to focus heavily on economic concerns... I also grab metallurgy as soon as possible, since it's possible to skip most early military techs and get this directly, which gives an army in the mid 20s (24-27) for attack, plus any elite bonuses.

With this I had absolutely no troubles on this weeks GotW, and won the game on Emperor with 66472 points.

- John