Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
US_Capitol_5_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

The US House of Representatives has just passed the controversial Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, or CISPA (HR 3523) by a vote of 248 to 168. The bill passed mostly along party lines, backed by House Republicans. While the bill is intended to safeguard the US against "cyber threats," critics say that it is too vague and broad, and would give government and military intelligence agencies the ability to inspect private data without the use of warrants. While the bill hasn't garnered the same level of outrage as SOPA did in recent months from companies like Google or Facebook (Facebook supports CISPA), web advocates have been vocal in their opposition to the bill.

The Obama administration has already strongly opposed CISPA and threatened to veto it, so it's not likely that this particular version of the bill will pass. The White House says that the bill lacks civilian oversight and privacy protections, and that "without clear legal protections and independent oversight, information sharing legislation will undermine the public's trust in the government as well as in the internet by undermining fundamental privacy, confidentiality, civil liberties, and consumer protections." Still, the White House has signaled that it is interested in some form of cyber security bill, so this won't likely be its final act.

:arrow: Source

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Ah FUCK IT.

Apocalypse 2012!
four-horsemen-of-the-apocalypse.jpg

Fugu....
Thank you Obama.

FAIL.

This isn't Obama's fault. He has no control over the US House of Representatives. Moreover, he most likely going to veto the bill.
I think he meant that Obama hates CISPA a lot, and has threatened it multiple times already.
So Obama is our only hope.

Reactions: 1 person

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Well, guys. I suppose it's time to cut the cord. I'll be calling my ISP to cancel my contract if this doesn't get vetoed.
Lol, that makes about as much sense as a hunger strike.
"I'll show them ... by hurting myself!" :rofl:

It'll get vetoed, so relax. :P

Reactions: 2 people

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Well, guys. I suppose it's time to cut the cord. I'll be calling my ISP to cancel my contract if this doesn't get vetoed.
Lol, that makes about as much sense as a hunger strike.
"I'll show them ... by hurting myself!" :rofl:

It'll get vetoed, so relax. :P

I'm not doing it as a protest, I'm doing it for my own protection. No data in or out means no data to monitor.

D

Deleted User

Obama, if you don't veto, I'm going to throw my computer out of the window, destroy my 3DS, and hunger myself until the government changes the law.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If this gets passed, I will gather a group of people. We will go to the white house.

And we will all wear fat suits and attempt to enter the white house all at the same time, so we get stuck in such a way that it takes hours to get us out.

We will do this with the reasoning that we were going to tell Obama not to pass CISPA.

We will do this repeatedly until they decide to veto the bill.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what always cracks me up? The people who complain about legislation like this and claim that our government is horribly broken... and can't be bothered to get out and vote at the same time. Seriously, refusing to vote is about the worst political statement (if you can even call it that) you can make.

I'm not attacking anyone on this thread, but if this riles you up, don't sit on the sidelines. Vote for Representatives who opposed it, and vote out the ones that supported it (here's a handy list of who voted for what). Even if you can't vote, write to your Representatives and Senators about the issue, and spread the message to others. Otherwise, you're not going to see much in the way of progress.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh. I'll keep some web debugging tools and tunnelers on the side to be safe, but if the big man (President Obama currently) is strongly against making this a law (mentioned in the OP's quote) I highly doubt it will get passed.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
Yay!!!!! Nancy Pelosi, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Sheila Jackson Lee and Judy Chu voted no! Where's the speaker John Boehner though???????? I know he probably voted yes, like the ass he is, but, he's not on the list.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay!!!!! Nancy Pelosi, Debbiw Wasserman Schultz, Sheila Jackson Lee and Judy Chu voted no! Where's the speaker John Boehner though???????? I know he probably voted yes, like the ass he is, but, he's not on the list.

I think he's getting a "Boehner" over this bill.

Sorry, Boehner puns are always classic.

But it will probably get vetoed and if they can't get a proper majority then we're saved once again.

Reactions: 1 person

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
Before, anyone starts attacking liberal Democrats (as some Republicans might do). The only Democrats who voted aye, were all DINOs or moderate. Like Daniel Lipinski,whom I have a deep hatred for, and if I'm still in district 3, will vote for a Republican rather than have to vote for him. I hate Republicans, but I hate fake Democrats even more.

Edit: WOO HOO, just found out due to redistricting I'm in district 4. I love you, Luis Gutierrez!!!!!!!!!!

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what always cracks me up? The people who complain about legislation like this and claim that our government is horribly broken... and can't be bothered to get out and vote at the same time. Seriously, refusing to vote is about the worst political statement (if you can even call it that) you can make.

I'm not attacking anyone on this thread, but if this riles you up, don't sit on the sidelines. Vote for Representatives who opposed it, and vote out the ones that supported it (here's a handy list of who voted for what). Even if you can't vote, write to your Representatives and Senators about the issue, and spread the message to others. Otherwise, you're not going to see much in the way of progress.

Or better yet: You vote against the Orrin Hatches of the world and then you get the Carl Levins. Some choice there... bah. And of course practically everyone only votes Rep/Dem. We're severely screwed no matter who we vote for. Notice 'for' and not 'against' which is by design of a 2-party system.

I should probably not post anymore on this topic as it'll probably start a flame war. Actually, sc**w it, if you get mad because of this, then you're probably just the type that's putting yourself into an early grave due to blood pressure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1