cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by davebaol, Feb 3, 2011.

?
  1. Yes, I had an issue with the official cios and d2x fixed it

88 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Yes, but everything was already working for me with the official cios

79 vote(s)
    42.7%
  3. No, and I posted what goes wrong

9 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. No, and I won't report what goes wrong because I am a troll

9 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. chop

chop GBAtemp Fan

Apr 14, 2010
    Pontefract
    Is this project still active, I have trouble with the latest V9 beta's not working, I get a black screen with every game I load, I think my Buffalo HDD is not compatible, V8final works.

What features am I missing out on not having V9beta

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    V9 allows (or will later allow) USB port1 to be used too, like Hermes' cIOS.
    That's all I remember :P

You can check the changelog on the google code, each revision explains the changes in each module:
    http://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/source/list

Look at r47 and r49

3. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Just curious if anyone knows how often the cIOS pings the HDD to keep it from going to sleep ... or if it does something else to accomplish the same thing?

4. mike333

mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    Poland
    davebaol is back?
    gr8

5. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    At this point, is there any reason to go with d2x v8 vs. v9r49?

6. Maxternal

Nov 15, 2011
    v9r49 has AHBPROT patched out where v8 doesn't. It's useful in some few cases where the loader also loads homebrew.

7. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I'm... not sure what that is, exactly...?

8. Maxternal

Nov 15, 2011
    Basically, as it was explained to me, AHB is the bus that connects to the hardware AHBPROT (AHB Protection) blocks software from using it so it has to ask the IOS to do it for it. Sometimes the IOS just will refuse saying the software doesn't have enough permissions. Before HBC v1.0.8, homebrew had to use a patched IOS that basically would never refuse. Most cIOS also have THAT patch.

After v1.0.8, HBC would patch out AHBPROT so the software COULD access the hardware directly without having to ask the IOS to do it for it. Newer homebrew made to take advantage of that can do all kinds of stuff UNLESS the IOS doesn't give it AHB access because they're sometimes not made to take advantage of the older patched IOS way.

The HBC is just fine giving that access but another loader can't give that access unless it already has it itself. A backup loader running off of a cIOS that ALSO runs homebrew won't have access on v8 and won't be able to give it to any apps it loads (like Devolution) but if it's running v9 it shouldn't have that problem.

9. XICO2KX

XICO2KX GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2007
    Portugal
    Are you guys already working on a way to install the d2x cIOS on the WiiU's Wii mode? ;)

10. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You guys = one guy.
    d2x was maintained only (mainly?) by Davebaol and he didn't make an update for months. He didn't post here since this summer, but it seems he is still checking the website :P

Hi dave :grog:

11. themanuel

themanuel GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 6, 2009
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    It's dead, Jim!

12. bros

bros Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2010
    Belgium
    davebaol said on an italian forum that there will be no more update of d2xcios.
    "Most game are running, and the compatibility for example for "Tintin" came from usb loader, not cios" ... :(

13. Maxternal

Nov 15, 2011
    That kinda sucks.
    Oh well, all the more reason why running Neek2o with autoboot arguments might just become the new cIOS for Wii U

KiiWii likes this.
  14. IceIceBird

IceIceBird GBAtemp Fan

Nov 14, 2009
    Sad to hear but I've to agree with him. But one last release this cristmas making an final version, the very last one. Even if it's only the tagging that's changed. This way no one has to wonder about it ;)

15. themanuel

themanuel GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 6, 2009
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    It would have been nice if emunand compatibility had been expanded (more games and wifi support) but I know he gave it a try and did not find a solution. Someone else could still jump in and work on it but I think it is extremely unlikely. Wii backup loading is in the twilight of a long and prosperous career.

16. Maxternal

Nov 15, 2011
    Yeah, at least release the beta code he'd been working on to see if someone else can pick up where he left off. I think the main thing everyone had been waiting for may have just been the both USB port support that was supposed to be included in v9 final. I'm sure everyone would like perfected compatability with NAND emulation but that seems like it'd be a lot of work. (What MIGHT help for those last few VC and WW games would be just adding IOS33 as a base since the troublesome channels that I've HAPPENED to notice this for have all used that IOS.)
    Lately, though, everyone's wanting the cIOS to be adjusted to be able to use the vIOS as a base so they'll work on a Wii. Either way, it would be NICE if he'd make just one final release for what he can.

17. davebaol
    OP

davebaol GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2010
    Italy
    FYI
    Basically I've modified v8 final to support vWii bases 56, 57 and 58.
    Everything will be publically available in the next days.

@Maxternal
    d2x-v9-beta(r49) already supports both usb ports, just use gx to try it out.
    And finally the only uncommited source I have on my pc is just an attempt to support games through NFS.

raulpica, ChaosEnergy, Lacius and 9 others like this.
  18. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Oh the epicness! Great work buddy!

19. mike333

mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    Poland
    Will Wii WiFi handle enough bandwidth or we should use wired connection?

20. davebaol
    OP

davebaol GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2010
    Italy
    Hey XFlak how long :)
    I got some problems with ModMii because vWii bases are not on nus.
    Also even if I copy IOS56-v5918-64.wad into temp folder ModMii downloads IOS56-v5661-64.wad

EDIT
    It was just an attempt. Games start loading but there are random read errors due to some problems with NFS implementation on ARM and I gave up months ago. TBH I think I won't try to fix it.

Supercool330 and mike333 like this.