Hacking cIOS_fix Bricked Wii

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I was working on downgrading, and the instruction set I was following involved me installing cIOS_fix.wad. I did so and restarted my Wii, and I now get the "system files are corrupt" error. I've restarted the Wii at least 30 times, and no luck. I don't have BootMii installed.

I'm screwed, right?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Haxxy said:
Hello! I was working on downgrading (first mistake), and the instruction set I was following involved me installing cIOS_fix.wad (second mistake). I did so and restarted my Wii, and I now get the "system files are corrupt" error. I've restarted the Wii at least 30 times (useless), and no luck. I don't have BootMii installed (fatality).

I'm screwed, right?

How old is your Wii? And whatever the response to that question is, under no circumstances should you have needed to be downgrading anything. The guides in the stickies are stickied for a reason. Don't follow things over a year old when doing stuff on your Wii.

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right, I do feel dumb for trying it. It's just that it's the method I used last time I downgraded from the same system version (4.0), so I figured it'd work again.

Also, my Wii is a launch Wii.

The reason I restarted my Wii so many times was because I had previously gotten the same error message, and it would go away after several restarts. I didn't have hope, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I never installed BootMii because I didn't like the startup menu, and I didn't figure out until now that I could prevent the startup menu from appearing unless I need it.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I never installed BootMii because I didn't like the startup menu, and I didn't figure out until now that I could prevent the startup menu from appearing unless I need it.
When it came out, I hated it too until I discovered it could be hidden. Now, I won't live without it if a wii supports it.

Why your wii bricked is beyond me. cIOS_Fix should not have bricked, even if installed on a boot2v4 ("LU64") wii. On LU64+'s, worst that happens is apps using cIOS won't work.

It seems to be time to call N. An infectus and bootmii could unbrick it, but it's not worth the hassle. You'll get a refurb wii if you send it in.

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure I should call? I've had the Wii for 3 years and the warranty has obviously been obliterated. Also, wouldn't the Wii I get be an LU64+ with the latest system menu? And, would it cost money?

There are unbricking services online. Would that be a better option?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
There are unbricking services online. Would that be a better option?
I'd stay away from those things. Some do a poor job, or charge even if they can't unbrick it. Also, many are for banner bricks only. They're unlikely to be able to help with this issue. If you call N, you're at least guaranteed it will be unbricked or replacement will be given to you.

QUOTE said:
Are you sure I should call? I've had the Wii for 3 years and the warranty has obviously been obliterated....And, would it cost money?
Yes you should call. It'll cost around $70.

Also, wouldn't the Wii I get be an LU64+ with the latest system menu?
Not every wii they send back is updated or even new. Someone recently got a 3.3 unit back.

Worst that happens is you get an LU64-type unit with 4.2 and a backup-proof D3-2 drive. 4.2 is hackable and USB Loaders are a suitable replacement for discs. Only downside is no bootmii on newer wiis.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
the cIOS_fix.wad had nothing to do with your brick, the downgrade part do, why da' hell did you downgrade for..??
wtf.gif
well anyways yeah you are screwed, send it to nintendo and pay for the reparation, or buy a new one at walmart, switch the consoles and return it, that way you'll end up with 2 new ones and you can sell one just to recover your investment...!!
tongue.gif

p.s. forget about a hackeable boot2 o a newer wii

wiihacker3000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ONCE had my cousin buy a wii with a warrenty from game stop, switched serial numbers, and took warrenty on recipt and switched my wii which couldent read disks for a new wii that was 3.3U that is also able to have bootmii as boot 2 just as my old wii. :)

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
the cIOS_fix.wad had nothing to do with your brick, the downgrade part do, why da' hell did you downgrade for..??
wtf.gif

I'm curious if he actually downgraded. He said it bricked after he installed the cIOS_fix and quit wad manager (old ones reboots on exit. If he's using cios_fix, his WM is likely just as outdated...) I wonder if he actually ran cIOS Downgrader or whatever he planned to use.

As for why he downgraded, yeah, no reason for it unless you want to brick your wii...4.0/4.1 is best place to be.

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not go through the whole downgrade process. I only installed one or two downgraded IOSes via wad manager, including IOS 16. By "downgrade" I meant downgrade the necessary IOSes, not the entire system, in order to install cIOS and, subsequently, use USB Loader.

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I've already set up a repair with Nintendo. I'd prefer if I were to get a "new" Wii anyway, since mine has screws missing, and it's overall been heavily worn. Thanks for the offer, though.

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to, but I don't believe there's a way to cancel the order. It was $85 including shipping.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haxxy said:
The reason I restarted my Wii so many times was because I had previously gotten the same error message, and it would go away after several restarts. I didn't have hope, but I figured it was worth a shot

sounds like something wasnt right even before you did the downgrade

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole reason I formatted my Wii in the first place was because I was receiving error messages. I figured I had just messed with the IOSes so much that I was starting to get errors, but who knows, it could also have been a hardware problem.

DeadlyFoez: I'll see if I can cancel the order.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
The so called 'cIOS_FIX.wad' will install its self on IOS247.

I don't think that will hurt your Wii at all. (But may even improve, since Nintendo did skip this IOS in 4.2, may in 4.3 too, than you can still easily 'hack' your Wii.)

Anyways, Downgrading could be the awnser why you bricked.

It seems like you don't have a LU64+ Wii, otherwise your Wii shouldn't start anymore that far as 'system files are corrupt'.

So something went wrong with installing/downgrading the IOS's over there.

If you can't launch a game via SafeMii or SafeMiiFree (to update..) and don't have a modchip.
You are screwed.

Sending to Nintendo / Buy a new one is your only solution.

Edit: Or sending it to DeadlyFoez. (That's your best bet!)

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, I did NOT downgrade any IOSes except for IOS16, which is why I'm puzzled about this.

Also, I have a Wiikey (original) modchip available to install. If I install this, is there a bootable disc I could use to help me out?

EDIT: I read up on self-creating a bootable disc I can use. Is there a reasonable homebrew equivalent to a system format?

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update! I've successfully loaded WAD Manager 1.5. What's the easiest path to take from here? I wish I knew which IOSes were causing the problem.

EDIT: For those wondering, I used SaveMiiFrii with the Universal Unbrick Disc v3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos