cIOS with Base IOS58, What do you use it for???

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by PPSainity, Jan 31, 2011.

Jan 31, 2011
  1. PPSainity
    OP

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    cIOS with Base IOS58, What do you use it for???

Open question to all you softmodders. Base IOS58... Do you use it? Why? With what? I have found no reason to use it over my two fallbacks, rev21 249[56] and 250[57]. I found that base IOS58 USB loading performance to actually be slower with less compatibility with different USB drives. Know this, I don't play games that need USB peripherals...you don't want to hear me sing, lol.

So, the question to you all...cIOS with Base IOS58, What do you use it for???

-[]D

Edit: Another question to add..Would you prefer better IOS58 support, preffering the use of official N code for USB access?

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Other than for use with the game Your Shape, there is no reason to use it. It is slower and has poorer compatibility than IOS56.

3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Sid Meier's pirates! didn't work for me on bases 56 or 57, but worked on 58.

The edit question seems kinda strange. I like how recent homebrew start using the official IOS 58 rather than on cIOS'es that may not only differ in which slots they are found but also in which base IOS is used (I still cringe whenever someone gets here telling us that game/homebrew X doesn't work "when using cIOS249"). It has nothing to do with a cIOS using that IOS as a base, though.

4. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    cIOS with 58 as a base lets you use a usb hub & both usb ports. AFAIK, this only works with WBFS partitions. last time i tried it, the pluggin loaded by usbloaders to support FAT/NTSF/EXT didnt support that stuff, so they limit you to 1 HDD on the usual port.

5. PPSainity
    OP

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    This is the first time I heard of USB hubs working with Wii's... Does this mean that the use of the wired lan adapter, USB headset, and a USB drive might be possible, all at the same time, during USB loading of a game like CoD:BO? Has this been tried? Any links on threads related to USB hub usage on the Wii? I got some searching to do, lol.

EDIT: OMG, I don't know how I missed this before..... Apparently powered USB hubs work fine with the Wii, and some have reported success using them with loaders like USB Loader GX..... I so am going to try this out. Wired LAN Adapter + USB Headset -> Hub & USB HDD while playing CoD:BO with USB Loader GX..... This will be sweet!

-[]D

6. comfaithgenesisr

Member comfaithgenesisr GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I installed it in slot 200
    here's a neogamma using slot 200 http://gbatemp.net/t219243-neogamma-r9-bet...t&p=3425878

Haven't tried it too much but it does work
    (you may need to delete the neogamme config file if it doesnt load in slot 200)

it would be cool to see if other apps can use slot 200 and then see how well the apps would perform....