cIOS WAD installation question...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kovani, Jun 27, 2009.

Jun 27, 2009
  1. Kovani
    OP

Member Kovani GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I can play my backup games on my LU64 using 4.0U and I’m very happy. I just have one question. I’ve installed IOS38-64-v3610.wad using the Wad Manager with cboot2 without the installer. I got no error, but my backup games didn’t work. After that, I ran cIOS38_rev13b-Installer.dol with HBC and I made a Network Installation without using IOS38-64-v3610.wad. My backup games can now run correctly.

My question is, what happened the first time when I did a WAD installation? Does IOS38-64-v3610.wad installed as IOS38 instead of IOS249? Like I said, I didn’t get any error and the installation was successful. Do I need to worry about that?

I did the same thing with LU64.wad included in the Softmii pack. I installed it by using the Wad Manager in cboot2 without an installer, but couldn’t play backup games. I got an error (DVD error 349) in gamma 0.3.

Thank you in advance.

2. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Waninkoko's cIOS has nothing to do with the ACTUAL IOS38 on your system. You don't need to install that specific one to your system, as it's just a normal official Nintendo IOS. What cIOS38 rev13 is is a custom IOS that's BASED off of that official IOS 38 and modified with the 13th revision of the dip module that gets installed to IOS249. This IOS249 is what allows you to play backups.

The reason you're supposed to get the wad of IOS38 is if you do a wad installation when running the cIOS installer (not through wad manager). In that case it just uses the wad of the IOS to modify that and install to IOS249, but if you have wifi you can just do a network installation where it will just download that IOS38 and patch it and install to IOS249 altogether.

You weren't supposed to actually install that wad on your system and if that version of it was lower than the one that was there previously, it would have stopped that IOS from functioning properly being an LU64 Wii.

I'm not exactly sure what the LU64.wad does, but I'm thinking it's something similar to cios_fix.wad which just installs some sort of simple vulnerable IOS to IOS249 I think that will basically just allow you to run any normal cIOS installer after that using IOS249 to do it.

3. Kovani
    OP

Member Kovani GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Is IOS38-64-v3610.wad the latest IOS38 by Nintendo that runs off 4.0U? If yes and if I understand correctly, I just overwrited the IOS with the same one. Right?

Maybe that's why my Wii is working fine. I didn't downgrade something. I've heard if you downgrade an IOS, your Wii is bricked on LU64.