Cid to Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by GrayFox2510, Jun 2, 2010.

Jun 2, 2010
  1. GrayFox2510
    OP

Newcomer GrayFox2510 Advanced Member

Mexico
    Ok, I really don't know much about HEX editing (just about the basics).
    But I've been meaning to play this game again and decided to try and give it a shot in translating the basics (menu, job skills, items).

Could I get some help in finding out where this information is stored in the game files? As I can't find them for the life of me. Or perhaps, I'm just doing something wrong.
    Also, what's a good HEX editor to use?

Help appreciated.

2. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    well have you got the characters to display yet?
    copy out at least one of commands in english stast game but in japapanese it would be?
    anyways you need to search in japanese for the characters that you know are"start game"
    or something and search for that.

Now I would use Crystaltile2 as your editor.
    The good news this game should accept single byte characters thanks to the DWC/utility.bin file
    so o instead of owhich is two bytes. You may not see the difference now but there is one.
    already found some text not what you are looking for propbably at offset 6A97C0

I could take you through a ct2 tour but there is already a few.
    In CT2 goto TBL then codepage then select 932
    If you don't like looking at this font (I prefer MSGothic with the japanese support on makes it easier to read
    TBL then font setings msgothic and script to japanese

If you already went to the offset you should see the some of the characters now.
    And the search function should work - if what you are searching for is actually in text in the game.
    Any more questions just ask.

3. GrayFox2510
    OP

Mexico
    It's part of what I want to translate, actually.
    Those are the necklaces (or collars) that you can equip.

Ok, so I've got how to replace characters... But...
    How do I deal with the lack of space? If I recall correctly, it has something to do with then fixing the line that calls to read the information and putting the new value if you add lines or something like that, but I have no freaking clue on how to do that. o.o

Help appreciated again.

4. StorMyu

Member StorMyu "I'm too old for this"

France
  5. rastsan

Canada
    what I meant is that the one character in hex is 8185 twobyte. what I meant is that the dwc/utility.bin has inside of it a font that allows you to insert one byte characters - 28. so instead of only having one letter replaced by one letter you should be able to do two english letters for every one two byte letter.; okay. You may still need to change the pointers but if your careful... uh. any ways test it by inerting TEST in one byte letters somewhere you know you can find quickly and easily. save play on emulator til you find that place where TEST should be, if you cannot find it then you may need to change the games font and insert one byte characters into it (not actually that hardi its the .nftr) I have a font ready for you from dungeon of windaria or another one from simcity creator E and both will work just fine here.

start from the romhacking tutorial on finding pointers. (its a number that points to that location usually in hex somewhere in the rom) you find them note them down and if you need to change them you do.

6. GrayFox2510
    OP

Mexico
    Yeah, I noticed that two for one character replacement. It certainly helps, especially since the game uses a lot of kana instead of Kanji, giving me more space. But I know at one point, I'm going to find myself limited and have to add more info.
    I'll give that page a read. Thanks.

I'm running into another problem though.
    I can see all the item's text (the descriptions, but I can't find the names anywhere), and it's even worse with the abilities (or job skills). No names, no description. My current idea is that they are compressed, but how do I get around this?
    Thanks in advance.

7. rastsan

Canada
    use a decompressor/(decompresser?), on the rom and search again.
    The worse case scenario is that those are written in images that you won't find til an exhausted search after decompressing.
    Tools to decompress. CT2 has an inbuilt decompressor. But depending on the compression it might not be able to help. I know there is L7zz in this game but I also know there are other types of compression. You are going to need to research the files to be sure but I can tell you now that any .L7z or something like that is compressed.
    .narc, .arc, .cpk, .bin(but only as a container file) are a few compressed filetypes. do a search for nds file formats and for decompressors. I do not have much experience with this so hopefully someone else will comment if you need further help with the decompression.

Oh in ct2 in hex view (F5)
    under tools you will find a compression search function an new window pops up and you can search though it. unfortunatly ct2 cannot handle batch decompression. On the plus side there is a tool for that, the name eludes me right now but its is easy to use. so don't woory too much. it just means more trouble for you thats all.

8. GrayFox2510
    OP

Mexico
    I'll try looking.
    Most of the files in the game (I used DSLazy to unpack the whole thing) are .FBC.z (yes, as if it had two extensions).

The only exception was the one with the item data, which is the only file where I can find straight up normal writing (the file ends in .FBC).
    And other misc files I really don't have much of an use for. Guess I'll keep looking.

9. rastsan

Canada
    Well you may end up having to tranlsate the images in the game so don't give up on those files yet.
    the missing search stuff could be written in the images, and you won't know til after the decompression and those individual file(s) search(es) (?). lookup the batch decompressor that will be more useful.

10. GrayFox2510
    OP

Mexico
    I'm not quite sure they are images, at least, it doesn't look like so, but you never know.
    I've tried playing with the compressor included in CT2 on several files, but haven't found anymore text, actually.

I'm not sure if it's the same type of compression and I can't find much on both .FBC files or .FBC.z.
    Otherwise, the standard item text description is pretty much on a perfect road, I've translated quite a chunk of the items and they look perfectly fine in-game.

The only things I'm really interested in translating 'sides those are the item names, the skills and their descriptions, all of which I can't find. Any experienced hacker feeling like helping a novice here? =3

11. jjjewel

Member jjjewel GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Learn how to use CT2 to extract the files first.

There are many scripts in romdata/DT folder. You need to export them, then find DarthNemesis's latest BatchLZ77 program and use it to decompress the scripts. (The ones with file extension FBC doesn't need decompression and they use Shift-JIS encoding. However the ones with FBC.z need Type 11 decompression and they use UTF-8 encoding. BatchLZ77 can handle this type of compression/decompression.)

Then you can translate the files, and recompressed them (with Type 11 compression) and import them back to the game scripts. (I wrote about file extraction and decompression in Hakuouki thread somewhere in the very last pages. You can look there if you need more reference about CT2.)

Hmm... And there are some parts that contain text and use Unicode encoding. So at least I can see 3 types of encoding in this game. There are already some English scripts in some parts of the game too. (I think they planned to localize this game somehow.) The scripts in romdata/PUD/mgentryphase/text/en/ contains English texts already. (I've never played the game so I have no idea what they are.)

12. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    In my sig.

13. GrayFox2510
    OP

Mexico

That's exactly what I needed. I finally found the rest of what I was looking for, heck I even found the typical messages you get on the combat log so I could even take a crack at those.

Now I just need to learn more about pointers to actually make the descriptions a bit more flavorful.

Thanks, thanks a lot! =3

For all intents and purposes, this topic can now be closed I believe (or deleted). Actual progress on translation will be on its own thread.