Homebrew CIAngel failed to download game but sd space is gone

PudimEXTREMI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ok, so i downloaded and instaled CIAngel to get Pokemon Ultra Moon, tested it with 3D Fantasy Zone 1/2 (both installing game directly from CIAngel and creating CIA and installing with FBI), worked fine.
I left my 3DS on and charging over night downloading UM, when i woke up i took a look at it and it said "Installing content 2 of 2" but it was completely stuck on that, no change to average download speed, completion percentage or downloaded space.
Turned it off and on again and there was no UM to be found, but i had only 19k blocks of free space on my SD card, i dont remember exactly how many i had beforehand but it was definitly more than 30k.

TL;DR
Didn't download the game thanks to CIAngel freezing for some reason but now i've downloaded ~3,5Gb of useless files that dont show up anywhere on data management.

So basically my questions are: Why did CIAngel freeze and will it freeze again? How can i delete those 3,5G of useless space? is it better to install the game directly from CIAngel or download the CIA and install it with FBI?

Thanks for any reply, sorry for any bad grammar and sorry if i posted this thread in the wrong location.^_^

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so i downloaded and instaled CIAngel to get Pokemon Ultra Moon, tested it with 3D Fantasy Zone 1/2 (both installing game directly from CIAngel and creating CIA and installing with FBI), worked fine.
I left my 3DS on and charging over night downloading UM, when i woke up i took a look at it and it said "Installing content 2 of 2" but it was completely stuck on that, no change to average download speed, completion percentage or downloaded space.
Turned it off and on again and there was no UM to be found, but i had only 19k blocks of free space on my SD card, i dont remember exactly how many i had beforehand but it was definitly more than 30k.

TL;DR
Didn't download the game thanks to CIAngel freezing for some reason but now i've downloaded ~3,5Gb of useless files that dont show up anywhere on data management.

So basically my questions are: Why did CIAngel freeze and will it freeze again? How can i delete those 3,5G of useless space? is it better to install the game directly from CIAngel or download the CIA and install it with FBI?

Thanks for any reply, sorry for any bad grammar and sorry if i posted this thread in the wrong location.^_^
Use freeshop instead, it is much more stable. Scanning the qr code of the ticket from a certain titlekey website should also do the trick. Re-installing the game will fix the issue, though are you sure it's junk space and not just the cia still on your sd card?

Reactions: PudimEXTREMI

PudimEXTREMI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Use freeshop instead, it is much more stable. Scanning the qr code of the ticket from a certain titlekey website should also do the trick. Re-installing the game will fix the issue, though are you sure it's junk space and not just the cia still on your sd card?
I normally do use freeshop, but since US/UM is not in there yet i just tried using CIAngel instead, but what about this "QR code scanning method" you speak of? never heard about it.
As for re-installing the game, i have no idea how since i'm not even sure ther IS a game somewhere to be re-installed... I'm not sure where the file would be inside my SD card, but i've scanned it for any .cia files and only found the ones for CIAngel, 3D Fantasy zone 2, FreeShop, FBI, LumaUpdater and HBLauncher.
I don't know exactly where CIAngel keeps it's files pre-instalation (i assume it just erases them afterward) but nothing seemed out of the ordinary in my SD card...

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I normally do use freeshop, but since US/UM is not in there yet i just tried using CIAngel instead, but what about this "QR code scanning method" you speak of? never heard about it.
As for re-installing the game, i have no idea how since i'm not even sure ther IS a game somewhere to be re-installed... I'm not sure where the file would be inside my SD card, but i've scanned it for any .cia files and only found the ones for CIAngel, 3D Fantasy zone 2, FreeShop, FBI, LumaUpdater and HBLauncher.
I don't know exactly where CIAngel keeps it's files pre-instalation (i assume it just erases them afterward) but nothing seemed out of the ordinary in my SD card...
Anyway, it is on freeshop. Also, try the FBI qr scanner thing. I'm not really gonna go into it since it's a piracy site but it's self explanatory. Install find the game and scan the qr code like any CIA.

PudimEXTREMI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Anyway, it is on freeshop. Also, try the FBI qr scanner thing. I'm not really gonna go into it since it's a piracy site but it's self explanatory. Install find the game and scan the qr code like any CIA.
Really? Well i guess there's something wrong with my freeshop gamelist then... well anyway, thanks for the reply! Any ideas about the missing space tho?

Bluespheal

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That's pretty common problem, I think looking for some incomplete files in the SD card and deleting them, I have encountered this problem before, but it really escapes me what I did back then to solve it.

PudimEXTREMI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's pretty common problem, I think looking for some incomplete files in the SD card and deleting them, I have encountered this problem before, but it really escapes me what I did back then to solve it.
Well that's weird, i've scanned my SD card for or files with "." in their names (so basicaly every file) and after some quick calculations i found out that if i added all those files' sizes together i'd still have ~1,9 Gb of used space elsewhere...:unsure:
So either i have a 2 Gb file that doesn't show up or it doesn't have "." in it's name, in wich case it'll be a pain to locate...
Thanks for the reply anyway^_^

Bluespheal

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, sorry for the lame answer, just wanted to share my experience, maybe if you are working with a small card, you could copy all files, format it and place the files back again, that should get rid of any junk files (I think)

PudimEXTREMI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, sorry for the lame answer, just wanted to share my experience, maybe if you are working with a small card, you could copy all files, format it and place the files back again, that should get rid of any junk files (I think)
Wow thanks, that worked! I just coppied all the files from the sd card to the pc and sure enough there was 2Gb less. I still don't get it but it seems that space was being used by something other than files... :unsure:
Anyway, thanks for you both, really helped me out! :)

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use freeshop instead, it is much more stable.
Historically this has been completely wrong . CIAngel uses a single threaded model without trying to do any fancy UI, which has resulted in far less crashing than FreeShop. However things like internet hiccups can still lead to issues during the download phase.

As for OPs question, CIAngel doesn't actually handle the temp files, we download to an "installed state" .This means we tell the 3ds we are installing a title, and pipe the downloaded content directly to the service (the same way the eshop and FreeShop work). If you were to redownload the game through any means, it would overwrite the temporary data the 3ds has allocated already for the content.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Historically this has been completely wrong . CIAngel uses a single threaded model without trying to do any fancy UI, which has resulted in far less crashing than FreeShop. However things like internet hiccups can still lead to issues during the download phase.

As for OPs question, CIAngel doesn't actually handle the temp files, we download to an "installed state" .This means we tell the 3ds we are installing a title, and pipe the downloaded content directly to the service (the same way the eshop and FreeShop work). If you were to redownload the game through any means, it would overwrite the temporary data the 3ds has allocated already for the content.
I've found freeshop to be more reliable than ciangel personally, but that's just my experience. Also, I realize how that works now after the OP said there was no CIA file, thanks though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.