CIA Updates - Scrolling text bottom of game icon - Must be online to update??

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Clockdryve, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Clockdryve
    OP

Clockdryve Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United States
    New to 3Ds CFW. Have an "old" 3Ds with fresh install CFW 2 days ago - on latest Nintendo FW - Previous 9.8.0-25U

No problems yet - but tonight I notice text scrolling on bottom of game icon (before I install update-I have) - Says I must be online while updating.

2 questions - HOW does it know it has an update (older game), and can I do update with wifi turned on? *As it says I must do.

I guess they are obsolete now (?) Nintendo shut down eshop maybe.....so not caring (I read that last update didn't even include code to break earlier CFW holes)

I tried an FBI install of a CIA and it's update together.....of a different game and it crashed - can't even install the original without update as it would crash too. This was after the 1st attempt trying game and UPD install together. Don't know if it triggers a crash report that makes all attempts on further original game plays to crash also, because I can't get it to play with fresh installs (did not originally try without update to know if played even). This OTHER game I want to install now - I wont attempt an offline/online UPD till I get instructions cause I want to at least keep the Original play intact. H.E.L.P

Last edited by Clockdryve, Apr 20, 2019
  2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    There's nothing wrong with going online and updating. You'll need to be on the latest firmware.

Clockdryve likes this.
  3. Clockdryve
    OP

Clockdryve Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2019
    United States
    This goes for any updates...even when a cart is not available? Even if found online? Thanks

4. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep