Church of England To Take Legal Action Against Son

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Hadrian, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Or religious type people overreact yet again...

2. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Wow, Sony need to hire the person who wrote this article, I'm actually interested in Resistance FoM now, it sounds awesome! [​IMG]

Anywho: God > Church of England, and a Sony exec told me they got a thumbs up from God:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    Sweet irony, I mean organized religion is responsible for inordinate real deaths and bloodshed throughout history and they're whining over a video game?

4. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    Sony Christians

Final Battle,

FIGHT!

5. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Darndiddlyang, my gosh! Oh well. The chruch can't own everything.

6. chalupa

Member chalupa GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Quick! go get Jack Thompson!!

7. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Some great marketing in there! [​IMG] Didn't really know anything about the game before this...

8. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yup, thousands of deaths just because someone doesn't agree with their religion and they complain about a game where you are trying to defend the earth from aliens.

Weren't there real church locations featured in many war games? Could they be next, because they were passing off a horrible war as entertainment.

The game itself ain't too bad, kinda like Medal of Honour but with aliens, should sell more copies now as its all over the news. Anyone working in game stores be prepared to say "yeah its for PS3 only, not on PS2/PSP" as most news reporters didn't state which console it was on, just that it was Playstation.

9. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Something similar happened here with GRAW:
    Links: [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's pretty stupid, but it's always funny to read [​IMG]

10. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I actually think it is in pretty poor taste. I don't agree with Christianity or any branches of it and I know that a lot of lives have been lost over religion. Yet I think it is wrong to disrespect the holy place of any religion, whether it be a Church/Cathedral, a Synagogue, a Mosque/Masjid or even somewhere like stone henge.

I honestly think that if the place featured was a Mosque then people would be taking it more seriously, it would be seen as some form of white racism against Muslim communities. It just seems a lot of people hold the church in low regard for some reason.

I think the world needs some form of religion to give people hope and fear. without a "greater force" it seems like people have nothing to fear, and feel free to do anything. I think if people truly believed that killing or raping someone would lead to some true suffering, then the death/rate rate would go down tremendously. I don't think religion should be used as a form of control though, not about the way we live our lives at least. I have theories that the Christian bible was written by someone who wanted to take control of people, and did so by writing a book that explained things they didn't understand (like creation) and set about guidelines. Things like not eating meat on certain days, or the rules about no sex before marriage. There's no real reasoning behind them and they seem like silly frivolous requirements that no one could ever meet. There's stuff in the bible that states that people shouldn't wear cloth woven using more than one type of thread. It's ridiculous.

That is all.

11. chalupa

Member chalupa GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't see whats so hard about waiting till marriage till sex or why it;s so hard to grasp.. Its just a guideline for std protection it has purpose.

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    To add to lagman there was a similar deal back with hitman and a Sikh temple a couple of years back as I recall, the thing is that they actually won. The only mediocre concession I can think of it that hitman is modern day and realistic.

My feelings on censorship, religion and similar matters have been debated more than once around here so I will spare you all.

Edit: Screw it, chalupa I think no sex before marriage has more to do with the church elders liking it tight and believing they are good at it: should their victim be well versed in such matters then they "will be loose" and able to tell they are getting the raw end of the deal.

13. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah you get someone who is crap in bed and turns out to be self fish, 10 years down the line they end up having affairs and splitting up.

And I think FAST6191 is totally right with the elders wanting it tight.

14. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    See the thing you've got to remember with the Bible is that it was written in a time when no one knew what the hell STD's were (hell I don't even know if they were around - AIDS etc is quite a new diesease thought to be human made from use of monkey blood or something) and protection other than withdrawing didn't exist. You have to presume that if people went around having casual sex, there'd be alot of unwed mothers with little babies and of course, in those times it really was frowned upon.

The bible, is quite simply, outdated. In a loving relationship, where protection is used, sex causes no harm. If there was a God and he made his presence clear on earth again, I'm sure they'd re-write the bible to reflect that.

There is always a need to try on before you buy =D

15. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    gotta side with sony on this one, I'll probably always side with gaming on issues like this, because they're always so biased and misleading.
    maybe sony should've asked for permission first (I doubt they would've got it) or perhaps used a church that is free domain (if any exist)

but sorry, the church never asked those boys permission, or for the thousands of killings they're responsible for.

man I hate how they say crap like "for many young people these games offer a different sort of reality", even a catholic has to admit that the church promotes a "different sort of reality", even for the few idiots that can't draw the line between fantasy and reality, the church doesn't get to decide which fantasy world is to blame.

16. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    unlucky sony, I doubt any one of the writers or complainers played the game.

Games are not real when will people realise movies with real people are much more likley to cause problems.

Anyway how many gunfights have you seen take place in a curch in films......shanghai noon....there are more i just can't think of them atm [​IMG]

17. hanman

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    i guess it's a good thing they didn't base the game in a mosque! then we'd be reading about an explosion at sony's headquarters instead of a lawsuit.

18. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    The main problem here is that Manchester has a very high-profile gun crime issue (example). I'm not usually one for censorship (especially in videogames) but I have to side with the church on this one.
    Why did the developers feel the need to replicate the interior so perfectly? Could they not just use their creative license? Did they want to put a stupid idea into any half-brained, gun-toting teenagers in the area? (and there are retards that would do it!)

Numpties! [​IMG]

19. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    Church of England is not Catholic. Please, get your facts right before you post nonsense ...

20. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Why did the developers feel the need to replicate the interior so perfectly?

Realism? From what I've played it seems like they wanted a game that would show what it could be like if aliens invading Earth show they used real buildings. End of.

Lots and lots of films use real locations for depictions of murder, torture, rape, child molestation and all that for their "art" but when a game features people defending themselves against aliens or beasties people moan.

If this was a shoot out in a film set in a church or whatever no one would moan. Nor did they moan in countless Westerns where there were shoot outs in real American churches, where the killing was purely for entertainment values and feature human beings being gunned to fuckery.

I really don't see how kids doing shoot outs against ALIENS not humans but ALIENS in a game are going to start picking up guns, go off to a church or whatever and recreate it with their friends just because they played this game. Maybe with fake guns as playing around but thats all.

Fair enough the CoE don't want the church in the game but to come up with an excuse like that is silly and thats all I'm going to say about it as theres no point.