OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071222/ten...-91c27f7_1.html

QUOTE said:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Tough-guy actor and martial arts expert Chuck Norris sued publisher Penguin on Friday over a book he claims unfairly exploits his famous name, based on a satirical Internet list of "mythical facts" about him.
(Advertisement)

Penguin published "The Truth About Chuck Norris: 400 facts about the World's Greatest Human" in November. Author Ian Spector and two Web sites he runs to promote the book, including www.truthaboutchuck.com, are also named in the suit.

The book capitalizes on "mythical facts" that have been circulating on the Internet since 2005 that poke fun at Norris' tough-guy image and super-human abilities, the suit said.

It includes such humorous "facts" as "Chuck Norris's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried" and "Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits," the suit said, as well as "Chuck Norris can charge a cell phone by rubbing it against his beard."

"Some of the 'facts' in the book are racist, lewd or portray Mr. Norris as engaged in illegal activities," the lawsuit alleges.

Norris, who rose to fame in the 1970s and 1980s as the star of such films as "The Delta Force" and "Missing in Action," says the book's title would mislead readers into thinking the facts were true.

"Defendants have misappropriated and exploited Mr. Norris's name and likeness without authorization for their own commercial profit," said the lawsuit.

The suit, filed in Manhattan federal court, seeks unspecified monetary damages for trademark infringement, unjust enrichment and privacy rights.

Norris, whose real name is Carlos Ray Norris, claims in the suit he is protective of what his name is associated with. He has recently made U.S. headlines for backing Republican presidential candidate former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

A spokesman for Penguin, owned by Britain's Pearson, was not immediately available for comment.

In related news, Chuck is also sueing NBC, claiming Law and Order are names for his right and left legs.

EDIT: I was LOLLING so hard I accidently posted in the wrong forum.
frown.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
rofl2.gif

Amazing. Seems he's running low on cash, so it's time for pointless law suits and ridiculous endorsement deals.
rolleyes.gif

Biduleman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It IS true that some facts are sexists or racist, so it's normal to see him sue them... If he didn't, he could be the target of potential feminist in need of money to build some new flyer about how unequal our salarys are...

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rofl2.gif
Â

Amazing. Seems he's running low on cash, so it's time for pointless law suits and ridiculous endorsement deals.Â
rolleyes.gif

Eh? He has a very good base to stand on. This case is very valid, and I sure as hell wouldn't like it if someone used my name to get profits somewhere, and didn't ask my permission to use it first, especially likenesses of me. That would DEFINITELY piss me off, and I'm sure it would anger you as well.

Hopefully he gets his money from these guys. If they'd asked, I'm sure he would have obliged.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am aware of the lewd ones, I don't remember reading any racist ones two years ago, those must be new. And should be taken out. So tone down the lewd ones, and still print the book. Norris was on a tv show about a year or two ago and recounted his favorite ones. Fact.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Norris was on a tv show about a year or two ago and recounted his favorite ones. Fact.
Youtube or it never happened!!!

I remember one show, where they gave him a list of "top 10 Chuck Norris "facts"", and he had to comment on them. He didn't seem to like any of them, though.

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
I am aware of the lewd ones, I don't remember reading any racist ones two years ago, those must be new. And should be taken out. So tone down the lewd ones, and still print the book. Norris was on a tv show about a year or two ago and recounted his favorite ones. Fact.
Yes, I remember that and that's why this surprises me. He seemed so keen about the jokes and all... But I guess it isn't the same if a guy comes, puts all those "facts" together and sells them.
unsure.gif

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the thing is, chuck norris is a joke anymore. No one cares about him. What has he done in the past 5 years to make him even relevant? Nothing. The guy should take advantage of this internet cult status of sorts and get himself back into some level of popularity. Look at Bob Saget, guy had the lamest gig ever on americas funniest home videos and full house. He was probably doing alright and making some money, but for most of mainstream america, he was lame. He did a couple of comedies and he said some swears and all of a sudden, he's a funny guy and younger people actually think he is something other than the tall guy taking care of kids and being a too nice kind of guy.

Seriously though, I'm so surprised he hasn't taken advantage of the situation, the douche will not make money off of dew commercials or whatever that was and texas walker ranger.

My hungover 2 cents

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.