Hacking Chrono Trigger Retranslation Injection

Burnt Lasagna

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I've been out of the VC injection loop for a while.
I'm looking to swap out the ROM in the official USA Virtual Console release of Chrono Trigger with Doctor L's retranslation patch (particularly this addendum patch by LethargicOwl).
Anyone know if the above is possible? Chrono Trigger is one of the later Virtual Console releases that split the ROM and PCM into two separate files. Also, the translation patch expands the ROM to 6mbs (as appose to the original 4mbs), so this might also complicate things.

I know using something like Donkey Kong Country would be an easier base to modify but I'd like to use Chrono Trigger for a more authentic vibe.

Last edited by Burnt Lasagna,

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Chrono Trigger is one of the later Virtual Console releases that split the ROM and PCM into two separate files.
They all do that. The only difference is that the later ones are compressed.

Also, the translation patch expands the ROM to 6mbs (as appose to the original 4mbs), so this might also complicate things.
6MB is a valid size, try Super Metroid as base. The problem with using Chrono Trigger as base is that the emulator in that one auto patches the rom (a lot) and essentially makes injection long and tedious because you would have to update the patches to match the values in the new rom.

Burnt Lasagna

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They all do that. The only difference is that the later ones are compressed.
Really? Guess I was mistaken.
6MB is a valid size, try Super Metroid as base. The problem with using Chrono Trigger as base is that the emulator in that one auto patches the rom (a lot) and essentially makes injection long and tedious because you would have to update the patches to match the values in the new rom.
Thanks for the advise.
Are these auto patches just Nintendo dampening certain flashing or are they actually Chrono Trigger specific performance improvements?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)