ROM Hack Chrono trigger original translation hack?

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JJBro1 said:
psycoblaster said:
JJBro1 said:
Noitora said:
JJBro1 said:
I was actually considering buying this but the new translation has me iffy, and yes im a very picky person i threw a fit when they didn't even say good morning crono. I mean come on! How are you going to advertise the damn game with that line and not even use it?! The name of the site is goodmorningcrono.com for crying out loud. And what the hell is athenian water its a damn revive! And its not called cleave its called spire, and theyre mystics not fiends. WTF square?!
hate2.gif
And screw the dsi, no gba support, what kind of BS is that?
Athenian holy water is probably water originating from Athens also if I find it good that they didn't butcher the translation, you should feel happy you're playing the translated game as it was intented to be also about not naming athenian holy water revive, would you find it good to have the item potion translated as HP restore 50 and so on?
if that's the way it was in the original then yes.
so give me the definition of what you mean by "original".
if that's what it said in the snes version of the game then I would like that. Basically what i want is the same game but every text in the game is from the snes version.
well, here's my advice:
If you want to play chrono trigger with everything exactly the same as the original version, don't play. This game isn't for you. Just play it in Japanese. If you don't like how the official English translation was done for this game, then don't play it. Because there are few million others that wants to play and won't bitch about calling a revive "Athenean water."
Look, when a game is being developed, don't expect it to be made for you and only you while it fills all of your expectations.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psycoblaster said:
well, here's my advice:
If you want to play chrono trigger with everything exactly the same as the original version, don't play. This game isn't for you. Just play it in Japanese. If you don't like how the official English translation was done for this game, then don't play it. Because there are few million others that wants to play and won't bitch about calling a revive "Athenean water."
Look, when a game is being developed, don't expect it to be made for you and only you while it fills all of your expectations.Look, I still like the game, I will play it to the end. I know its not being made for me, but can i at least say what i don't like about the game without being attacked? I'm not asking anyone to do anything, i was asking if it was possible. Sheesh.

Posts merged

Noitora said:
QUOTE(JJBro1 @ Nov 20 2008, 12:08 PM) if that's what it said in the snes version of the game then I would like that. Basically what i want is the same game but every text in the game is from the snes version.
Anyway, nobody's going to do that because you requested so because it's pointless and really time consuming, if you want to do it yourself instead of whining for the translation go here: [url=http://www.romhacking.net/start]http://www.romhacking.net/start[/url]
why is it whenever someone states their opinion on a flaw in a game its considered whining? And i wasn't requesting anything, I was asking if it was possible.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for a ful differences between japanese and Snes US version you can see here :
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Trans...ifferences.html

those corrections were added into DS version as far as I played it (I'm only at Yakra).
the first thing unaltered from snes is the "eyes cream" reference instead of a crepe.

About the item's names, it's odd but we have to make use of it.

And one thing more important than item's name, didn't Frog (Kaeru) speak with"thou" instead of "you" ?
I don't remember the snes version very well, it's been more than 10 years I played it.

about a retransation, it will not be the first time a team do it, FF IV was already retranslated over the japanese version.
but the US game was censored, that's not the case with CT.
and CT were retranslated as well by Chrono Compendium to best match japanese script.

edit :
a new font only would be nice. specially the battle font.

edit 2 :
maybe the US version will have new/old US instead of japanese/US
tongue.gif

/dream mode OFF

edit 3 :
Differences between Snes and DS version is referenced here too :
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Trigger_DS

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There have been several retranslations of the SNES version which would have been my first look.
Improvement hacks is what I am doing these days and I did offer a hand in the release thread for such a project. I only want to play the hacker in this one though (the reason I am out of translations for a while is it takes so much effort to organise things) so I am going to need a list of stuff that needs doing (although discussion on it is more than welcome).

So far
Font needs altering.

Sound needs altering (it may have to be a wave rip as I am not sure how good I am at remixing SSEQ)

text needs tweaking. The DS has far more space so we could flesh out the script a lot more (in the little I have seen thus far the text is somewhat terse which goes against the story).

Sprites/backgrounds could do with being darker/less washed out. Subjective for me.

Some have said the game is too fast but that could well be a lengthy hack. Few seem to be complaining about it though.
If I am going to do that I am going to do a thorough analysis of the copy protection too.

Next up is a hard mode hack. If we do I want to try for more skill than grinding.

Hyllian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried to find the scripts, but couldn't. If you search the word "TEXT" using ASCII table (default in windhex) you'll find some matches, but after those, the files seem compressed. Unpacking with dslazy, you can find the files *.msg, they correspond to the files with "TEXT" at the beginning. I would like to insert the portuguese snes translation into this DS version.

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
And besides all, did anyone think the translation of some items in this version is because this is the Japanese version of the rom? Maybe the official US version will have the US version of the SNES translation?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sadak5 said:
And besides all, did anyone think the translation of some items in this version is because this is the Japanese version of the rom? Maybe the official US version will have the US version of the SNES translation?
I seriously doubt that. I don't know how to word my rebuttal, but they putting in the original translation into the US rom seems VERY far fetched.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In the original Japanese "Revive" is called "?????," which literally means "Athenian Water." This DS English translation is more true to the original Japanese than the SNES English version was.

You never played the original. What you played was an English translation (and a poor one at that) from the original Japanese. If you're so hard-core about playing the original, play it in the original language. Now that it's on DS, you can easily switch to Japanese mode. Problem solved!

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't Ted Woolsey (sp?) do the translation for this during the SNES era?

I recall him saying that alot of the translations he did had to be changed due to 'us not knowing what they are' and to make it more 'kid friendly (ie. Holy was change to White in FFIV - Nintendo's remit at the time).

Although I can't remember if he did Chrono Trigger - he did change a lot of the original text in Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy VI.

I don't mind if the translation differs. I prefer updated translations (especially if it is based on the original japanese story).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll add that the Japanese script in the DS version appears completely unchanged from the SNES game. I can't understand Japanese, but I've compared the characters and they are the same. Except for the new added content of course.

QUOTE said:
Didn't Ted Woolsey (sp?) do the translation for this during the SNES era?

Yes and he did do Chrono Trigger as well. Some people seem to think that he was limited by time restraints, but that doesn't explain why they added a fake accent for Frog (as well as completely change his personality) or change all the other things. The only problems I can see time restraints causing are grammar errors (which DID happen) or just poor writing (which happened as well). But there was no excuse for adding whole new parts to character's personalities that completely changed them.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
In the original Japanese "Revive" is called "?????," which literally means "Athenian Water." This DS English translation is more true to the original Japanese than the SNES English version was.

You never played the original. What you played was an English translation (and a poor one at that) from the original Japanese. If you're so hard-core about playing the original, play it in the original language. Now that it's on DS, you can easily switch to Japanese mode. Problem solved!
i mean the original english translation.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for the confusion but what i mean by original is the original English translation, the translation that was brought to the states.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
psycoblaster said:
UltraMagnus said:
now now children, play nice

I am sure the is a way, I mean, people translate roms, so something like this should be a piece of pie
Maybe said:
Hahaha why are people so picky when they get all this stuff for free? Watch when more people get DSi's they will say: "Omg is there a way to take out this camera like the original ds?? Its bothers me so much".
grog.gif

well, the camera is pretty useless, and will probably decrease battery life....
if you think it's like a piece of pie, do it yourself.
well, I am quite happy with the game as it is having never played the original version

I was merely stating that in comparison to a translation this should be easy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely...