DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
74ZqkmC.jpg
Have you ever been watching Arrested Development on your phone and wished that you could just stream from your show from your phone to your big ass HDTV across the room, but didnt have a long enough HDMI cord? Yeah tell me about it.

Well apparently this has happened to someone at Google as well. So he went to work, started ranting about it, and got a few guys together to make this thing.

Its a 2 inch dongle (lol the word dongle makes me laugh) runs a simplified version of Chrome OS. Plug this bad boy into your TV and control it with your existing laptop, tablet, phone, anything that runs Chrome. It requires separate USB power and a connection to your local wifi, and you are set to go. Early buyers get 3 months of Netflix free, and the wonderstreamstick is coming to Best buy July 28th.

For now its US only, looks like Canada and UK will have to wait.

Side note: I'm pretty sure its only streaming supported web content. Youtube, Netflix, Google Music/Video with more coming soon.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
inb4 people that have routers set to block intra-network connections by default (which is a surprising amount) can't use this without some nerd setting it up for them.

Google services will probably acts as a middle man, eliminating this issue entirely.

D

Deleted_171835

Seeing as how you can't stream local content on your PC, I don't see the point. I can already do all of this on a gaming console (Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, etc.), the only exception being Google's proprietary services.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't really excite me too much. I can hook my computer up to the tv via hdmi then control it via my phone or tablet via unified remote. I have tons of things that do netflix, et al on the TV. I have a mediaplayer for when I don't feel like hooking up the laptop. Really, I don't see the point right now.

Reactions: Felipe_9595

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Sounds great looks ok but I already stream from my phone and tab to my TV via PS3 using Skifta app. It's been a great help whilst my PC has been in storage.
This dongle would make a great travel piece, depending how much they are I may get one.
Also it says UK will have to wait, but wouldn't an import work ok?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm interested in this, but then again, it'd be cool to be able to use some kind of remote apart from the phone/computer/whatever. Not that it's a must, but it'd make things more simple.

ps. A good show from Google. The hardware and Android 4.3 shown are kinda cool and will end up in my shopping basket in the following months. Now for an updated Nexus 4 and things will get interesting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended