Christmas idea.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was talking with Dinoh earlier today, and the word Santa was pulled up. I was thinking about how awesome it'd be to host a secret Santa on the Temp. This is how it'd go. People would PM me on here with their address, Once there's a nice even amount of people set up, I'll randomly pair two members together. I'll send a PM to both of them with only a address. Then they can ship the gifts to one another. They can post in the thread I'd make once they get the gift. By gift I don't mean a $500 PS3. I mean a small toy, candy, or trinket. The only issue I see it that some users could join the event just to get a gift, and not send anything out. Which I'd have to find some way to lessen the odds of that. Anyway, what do you guys think? I believe reddit did something similar last year, but it'd be great to see this on the Temp. :D

Reactions: 6 people

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For enforcement as @TwinRetro described perhaps a generated code would be given to the sender to include with the present, for the recipient to enter into the website.
People should be expected to send international packages before the last week of november and domestic packages before the second week of december, imo.

With a grace period (before warnings are issued) TBD so everyone has time to verify their packages or receive customs notices if such a thing occurs. But the event entry should be closed with plenty of time for everyone to receive their gift on time. Maybe a week or two early if lucky. I'm going off the presumption that people would be able to participate even with minimum rate postage though.

I think minimum value shouldn't be strict. What if my hobby is making hemp jewelry and I make something unique and send it? maybe the stuff only cost me 50 cents but I put effort into it. a Gacha toy is only a dollar. the postage I'd be personally okay with volunteering may be higher than the value of the trinket I send. I just think that maximum value is more important to impose. If there's an unboxing thread people shouldn't be feeling sore because someone sent something "too nice".
My opinion is that $10 should be the maximum. But possibly restrictions on what can be sent. I have some used games that might be nice to send but what if my Santa has no use for such a thing (doesn't own the console it's for, or already has it)? a gift that might need to be pawned because the recipient can't get any joy out of it is probably the wrong type of thing to send.

edit: grammar

Reactions: 2 people

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd be up for joining in on this. If you would need a hand with planing or something just drop me a PM.

Edit: yeah there should be a strict set if guidelines involved with doing this. Also where ever possible 2 people that are close in location should be paired up to help speed shipping. When and if this actually comes to fruition people should join in by PM not by posting to help with the secretive part. I think that there should be a minimum and maximum dollar amount set, but then as exangel has suggested if she sent something she made what would it be worth? It's really the thought that counts and I'd say that's priceless. I feel that many of us here are becoming like a family but there is always going to be that 1 person that will ruin it for the rest of us

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't mind if I get paired up with someone from the USA or Asia or Africa or what ever country/continent is furthest away from me.
I just loev seeing the joy in people when they receive a gift ;3

I think that you should also add an option for people that don't care about distance.
I'd love to send something for Christmas to Mexico for example or to Sri Lanka.
If the person I was paired up to also doesn't mind it that is.

edit:
Don't know if this is discussed yet but also a small idea.
Maybe when people are paired up they should have a small list of things they'd love to have.
Or things they really don't like/are allergic to if people are sending foodsies to eachother.

It might help a lot with buying things for others ;o

Reactions: 3 people

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
This sounds good.

though is there still someone active from the Philippines? i might have to ship outside the country.

also how about you ship something that might be found locally.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds great. We should stockpile all the rules mentioned so far, organize them, and see what the Staff think it it hasn't already been mentioned to them yet.

Reactions: 1 person

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds great. We should stockpile all the rules mentioned so far, organize them, and see what the Staff think it it hasn't already been mentioned to them yet.
It's your thread. Sounds like a job for you =P

But I'm lazy. ;A; And I have more Breaking Bad to watch.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. All rules that apply to the trading forum also apply here. 100 posts required, and no one with 20% warn level or greater shall participate
2. Don't tell the name of your giftee to anyone...this is mainly a courtesy than anything.
3. Anyone who fails to send a gift will 1.) be barred from future GBAtemp events or 2.) 20% warn automatically, or both. This would obviously have to be on a person to person basis, but if you got your gift and you just decided not to send a gift just because, you're going to be blasted with both barrels.
4. And of course GBAtemp would not be held responsible for lost or stolen property...obviously.
5. the gifts would have to be a certain dollar amount but not above a certain amount(TBD)
6.People will be matched on location, and whether or not they are okay shipping outside of their area.
7.If people are allergic, or want to be specific on what they have. (Maybe a small description with their preferences. Not in a "this is what I want way", but in a this is what I have so don't buy me this because I will have no use for it.)
8. A unboxing thread that people can post in on Christmas day, or the day after. So they can express their joy and the people that sent it can be joyful that the other person got their gift.
9. Devin gets to be the person to randomly pair, and match the users if this idea is a success. ^-^

That's about the gist of things. If I left something out let me know. :D

Reactions: 3 people

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds good.

though is there still someone active from the Philippines? i might have to ship outside the country.

also how about you ship something that might be found locally.
Yeah, I live in El Paso Texas which is in the border with Mexico so that's why my idea is Mexican candy, a local candy can be a really special treat. If you elect to be an international Santa, then maybe keep in mind to try to send something that tells the recipient something they would not know about the area. like a postcard, just a suggestion. I would be happy to compile a list of suggestions for a formal announcement if the event gets the OK from staff.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd been notified via PM that we'd be rocking on our own for this event. Which TwinRetro is probably about to post. We're still doing it considering majority if not all of you thought it was a good idea. I'm hoping to have a signup thread with in-depth details on the event, so look forward to that. Even if it's not official I hope we still get a ton of people to signup. I'm going to leave thsi thread open for discussion on how we can improve things so far.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will help with gift suggestions and a simple verification system. It's my hope that if 100% of participants get their gift this year then perhaps an official one could be done next year. And even if staff still doesn't want to do this on an official level, more people would be into participating next year.

As far as the unboxing thread goes I think that would have to go into General Off Topic or EotF though. I'd ask that no one start the thread themselves, Devin should wait to start one on Christmas Eve. No one's gonna stop people from opening their presents early but we shouldnt show em off til it's time :)

Who knows, maybe only 10 or 20 people will participate.

With the actual thread announcing volunteering to do Secret Santa, I feel there is no problem with talking about participating. It should be said that if you want true anonymity you can participate by PM without revealing yourself in the thread, but surely some people will still have questions. The true list of participants may be much longer than the people who actually discuss it. Even if the rules are clear some people may still be concerned or not see THIS thread.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leave it to Devin to come up with a great idea. This would be awesome. Especially if it was done in tandem with the usual 'temp festivities.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shaping up to be quite some event. Imagine the faces on Tempers when they get to open their gift on Christmas day. I've been asking exangel, and Dinoh to send me some candy since they have diverse candy in their areas. ex sent me some rice candy, and I thought it was great. It's great to get unique gifts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)