Christmas idea.

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Devin, Oct 1, 2012.

Oct 1, 2012

Christmas idea. by Devin at 9:03 PM (1,947 Views / 6 Likes) 44 replies

1. Devin
    OP

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    I was talking with Dinoh earlier today, and the word Santa was pulled up. I was thinking about how awesome it'd be to host a secret Santa on the Temp. This is how it'd go. People would PM me on here with their address, Once there's a nice even amount of people set up, I'll randomly pair two members together. I'll send a PM to both of them with only a address. Then they can ship the gifts to one another. They can post in the thread I'd make once they get the gift. By gift I don't mean a $500 PS3. I mean a small toy, candy, or trinket. The only issue I see it that some users could join the event just to get a gift, and not send anything out. Which I'd have to find some way to lessen the odds of that. Anyway, what do you guys think? I believe reddit did something similar last year, but it'd be great to see this on the Temp. :D

6 people like this.

2. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Haha, that's awesome. Make sure you pair people based on their location though, sending candy across the globe is pretty expensive.

3 people like this.
  3. Devin
    OP

United States
    That would definitely happen. I was just thinking about the cost of shipping being expensive for those people who don't live in a Temp populated area.

4. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Brilliant idea!

I'll deffo join in on this ;D

Btw I think that when you have enough people you should set a max amount what people can spend.
    A max of 4 dollars or 5 or something similar.

1 person likes this.
  5. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    i've seen this in forums before, although you do get some shits who recieve without giving. Worth a try surely?

6. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Yeah. There are a few people who live in the Netherlands, but if you get weirder locations like some remote island you'd be hard pressed to find a Temper near you. (that sounds like one of those annoying ads. Find Tempers at YOUR location!)

7. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    As a minimum I'd say 100+ posts members, or members with trading forum access should be a requirement. blacklisted traders would not be eligible

4 people like this.
  8. Devin
    OP

United States
    @[member='TwinRetro']

I saw you come in here. :lol: Post your opinion, or else I'll sick the goat on you.

9. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Except the tempers aren't offering sexual pleasure.

3 people like this.
  10. Bobbyloujo

Member Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

United States
    It's a nice idea but I'd be leery about giving my address away to some random guy on the internet.

11. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    *Pointing at flag*

:cry: :cry: :cry:

12. exangel

United States
    You should just ask people to specify willingness to pay international shipping to even things out.

Obviously this is an optional thing. Don't participate if you don't want to give your address away. -_-

13. Devin
    OP

United States
    I'm sure too many people won't send bombs, or anything of the sort. If you've bought something from the trading forum, then you already have. :P

1 person likes this.
  14. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Here's a better idea:
    Everyone send £5 to me.

3 people like this.
  15. exangel

United States
    In some locales you may need to put something substituting a name on parcels that aren't addressed to a person. at least "Resident" may do. I've sent small packages to people addressed to their usernames before. you should provide a disclaimer to people who wind up with international secret santa recipients that they should look at the laws for customs too. it would stink for someone to wind up a grinch unintentionally due to a customs hold.

16. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Whats you PayPal account?

But seriously im totally in.Ill send anywhere and not worry about getting anything back. This is a great idea. What sorts of things are we thinking?

17. exangel

United States
    Well, depending on where my secret santa's address is I would send either some mexican candies, but if sending food is a bad idea I'd probably send something like a Gacha machine toy:
    http://www.tomyyujineurope.co.uk/

2 people like this.
  18. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I think this is a good idea, but I also think this could go wrong for some folks. There would have to be some strict rules set in place. Just a few off the top of my head...

1. All rules that apply to the trading forum also apply here. 100 posts required, and no one with 20% warn level or greater shall participate
    2. Don't tell the name of your giftee to anyone...this is mainly a courtesy than anything.
    3. Anyone who fails to send a gift will 1.) be barred from future GBAtemp events or 2.) 20% warn automatically, or both. This would obviously have to be on a person to person basis, but if you got your gift and you just decided not to send a gift just because, you're going to be blasted with both barrels.
    4. And of course GBAtemp would not be held responsible for lost or stolen property...obviously.
    5. the gifts would have to be a certain dollar amount but not above a certain amount(TBD)

I think the only way this would work is if it would be an official event, so I'll have a small chat with my fellow staff to see if it's been done before, or if it can be done at all.

5 people like this.
  19. Devin
    OP

United States
    I figured as such. Let me know, and if it doesn't work out I might just host a small event myself but this event definitely needs guidelines.

1 person likes this.
  20. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    This sounds like a great idea! And then we can have a giant unboxing Christmas thread on the 25th or the day after! Fun! :yay:

3 people like this.