Translation Chou Soujuu Mecha MG full translation release

Supper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So maybe someone out there remembers my partial translation patch for this game from a couple years back? Well, as much to my surprise as anyone else's, it's now a complete translation!

csmmg_en-title.png

Download Patch (v1.1)

Credits:
  • Supper -- Hacking
  • Phantom -- Translation and Additional Art
  • cccmar -- Testing and Editing
Read the game's tie-in manga

Watch footage of the patch in action

csmmg_en-1.png
csmmg_en-2.png
csmmg_en-3.png
csmmg_en-4.png

After I'd long given up hope on picking up a translator for this project, Phantom came out of nowhere and just started translating it! It was an offer I sure wasn't going to turn down, so, months later (mostly due to me holding things up endlessly), here we are with a 100% complete translation of the game. It's been extensively playtested on both emulators and real DS hardware and has no known issues, so if you have even the slightest interest in giant robots, check it out! In fact, check it out even if you don't, because I didn't before I played this game and loved it anyway.

So, what is this game?

In a world where giant robots known as Marionation Gear, or "Puppets", are artisanally handcrafted in workshops, a certain boy serves as an apprentice at the Galouye Workshop, dreaming of becoming a "Puppeteer" (mecha pilot) and opening his own workshop with fellow apprentice Kay. But their peaceful daily life is shattered when the autonomous Puppets known as the Automen begin going on berserk rampages around the world. Together with new apprentice Anne-Marie, the hero and Kay are pulled into a conflict that could change the course of Puppet history...

Chou Soujuu Mecha MG is a 2006 mecha action game developed by Sandlot, the studio behind the Earth Defense Force series, and published by Nintendo. It combines the developer's aptitude for larger-than-life spectacle with one of the most innovative and fun uses of the touch screen in the DS library: in addition to standard movement with the D-Pad, each of the game's 100+ playable mecha has its own unique "cockpit" controlled with the touch screen. Players can pull levers to swing their robot's arms and hurl buildings at the enemy, flip a switch to transform into a car, punch in launch codes to fire missiles, and countless other imaginative setups. With well over 100 missions, ranging from battle to racing to destroying burger joints, every mecha has a use.

It's quirky, it's gimmicky, and best of all, it's loads of fun.

For patching instructions, see the readme file included in the download. Short story: it's a standard xdelta patch.

I also wrote up some extensive comments and translation notes for the readme, so check it out if you want additional insights into the translation.

As linked above, Phantom was kind enough to scanslate several chapters of the game's tie-in manga adaptation! I've set up a little site where you can view them here.

Massive thanks to Phantom for translating this game's enormous script. Thanks also to cccmar for finding all the typos I couldn't, and TheMajinZenki for advice and support. And of course, thanks to the many authors of the tools that made this project not a complete pain to work on, including armips, ndstool, CUE's compression utilities, and desmume. Finally, thank you to everyone who played the original partial translation patch. I hope this'll be a treat for you.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Supper,

Supper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to everyone who's playing this! Hope you're having fun. It's really an awesome game that more people should know about :)

Crossposting from RHDN: I've just been informed of a bug that can occasionally cause the game to crash after visiting a shop that's completely sold out. I believe I've fixed the problem, so once I've tested more to make sure the fix doesn't break something else, I'll put out an updated patch. In the meantime, be sure to save before you visit a Puppet shop. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hopefully the update'll be out sometime tomorrow.

Reactions: PhantomGhost

Supper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took a bit longer than I'd hoped, but v1.1 is now out. Check the OP or download it here.

This fixes the shop freezing issue, changes some poor formatting on Kay's maintenance warning message that looked bad for long Puppet names, and makes a few minor text tweaks. Thanks to Delta for reporting the shop bug and helping test the update, and my apologies to anyone who was affected by the crashing issue.

Amici

ex trey, city skull, am I are?
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Thanks to you and Phantom and everyone involved in this lovely translation. This game has become one of my favorite games ever, speaking as a mecha fan. I got so inspired playing the game I'm shilling it on reddit with a review/rant, since it went a bit under the radar. The game, and your translation, are way too good and too well-done for it to go unnoticed; more people need to play it :D

Last edited by Amici, , Reason: Typo
Reactions: PhantomGhost

RikuKH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thank you so much for this translation. I had already bought a copy from ebay a couple years ago and played for 25 hours and got to mission 87, but the lack of translation just made it less enjoyable in the long run and I stopped playing it. I finally beat the game, and it took me another 25 hours to complete most missions on super hard.
I've got a tip to others who haven't completed the game yet: you'll enjoy the game much more if you play each mission on either hard or normal. Because if you want to beat them on super hard as soon as possible, you have to rely on only a couple good mechs, and you'll just miss out on the best part of the game, which is experimenting with lots of different mechs and setups. Don't save your money for the more expensive mechs (both in shops and blueprints), just buy whatever looks interesting and fun, ones that cost around 1000 to 10000.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank you so much for this translation. I had already bought a copy from ebay a couple years ago and played for 25 hours and got to mission 87, but the lack of translation just made it less enjoyable in the long run and I stopped playing it. I finally beat the game, and it took me another 25 hours to complete most missions on super hard.
I've got a tip to others who haven't completed the game yet: you'll enjoy the game much more if you play each mission on either hard or normal. Because if you want to beat them on super hard as soon as possible, you have to rely on only a couple good mechs, and you'll just miss out on the best part of the game, which is experimenting with lots of different mechs and setups. Don't save your money for the more expensive mechs (both in shops and blueprints), just buy whatever looks interesting and fun, ones that cost around 1000 to 10000.
What's the difference between the difficulties? Do enemies have more HP or do they use different tactics?

RikuKH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
What's the difference between the difficulties? Do enemies have more HP or do they use different tactics?
I think they have more HP, do more damage, and most annoyingly they block more. They're probably more aggressive too but I'm not sure of that. Some battles take way too long even with the few strong mechs you have, and it's just not fun to fail one at the end and do it multiple times over.

Supper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up -- Phantom recently gave me quite a shock by scanslating the remaining chapters of the game's promotional manga on the sly and presenting the whole thing (over 200 pages) to me in completed form. So now, you can read the manga in its entirety right here! Check it out (and the game too if you haven't already, because seriously, it's great).

This was a ton of work for a single person, so big, big thanks to Phantom for putting so much effort into things. It's the kind of work ethic we should all aspire to... especially me :P

Amici

ex trey, city skull, am I are?
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Just a heads up -- Phantom recently gave me quite a shock by scanslating the remaining chapters of the game's promotional manga on the sly and presenting the whole thing (over 200 pages) to me in completed form. So now, you can read the manga in its entirety right here! Check it out (and the game too if you haven't already, because seriously, it's great).

This was a ton of work for a single person, so big, big thanks to Phantom for putting so much effort into things. It's the kind of work ethic we should all aspire to... especially me :P
This is so cool, I never thought it'd be ever completed. Thanks for the heads-up! I still replay your translation every so often and it's still one of my favorite fan translated games of all-time

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for everyone involved with translating this game!

As a huge mech fan this is one of my dream games, and my top wanted game for a translation. Its an amazing game and thank you all again for the time you spent and hard work you put in!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park...