Choosing a SLOT-1 & SLOT-2 Device for DS/DSL

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by .:Crimonite:., Oct 5, 2009.

1. .:Crimonite:.
    OP

Member .:Crimonite:. GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi everyone. I'm in the market for a new flashcart because i dont like the R4DS. I've read heaps of reveiws, but with no offence to the reveiw writers, it is mostly the opinion of one person. So i was wondering what other people have and what there favourites are and why. I also want a SLOT-2 device that is 100% compatible with the SLOT-1. Here's what im looking for, if it helps.

SLOT-1:
    Simple GUI
    Easy skinning/Menu modding (preferably be able to change skin within the flashcart)
    Ultra high ROM compatability
    Download play and WiFi play compatible
    Spring loaded
    Flush fit (no parts hanging out)
    Plenty of mobility inside the card (copying and pasting withing the flashcart, ect.)
    Good Homebrew compatability
    Auto-DLDI Patching

SLOT-2:
    Flush fit with no overhangs in a NDSL
    Simple GUI
    Easy skinning/Menu modding (preferably be able to change skin within the flashcart)
    Ultra high ROM compatability
    Plenty of mobility inside the card (copying and pasting withing the flashcart, ect.)
    Good Homebrew compatability
    Auto-DLDI Patching (not sure if this exsists in the GBA flashcarts, but i thought id add it just in case)

PS: I don't want a flashcart with ALL of these features (although it would be nice =P), but there the kind of things im looking for, and as many of those things included as possible. Also, price isn't an issue.

2. Ireland 1

Member Ireland 1 GBAtemps resident Irish

Ireland
    Slot 1. Get an Acekard 2 and run AKiAO My cousin has one and it savage.

3. .:Crimonite:.
    OP

Australia
    whats the acekard 2 like with SLOT-2 devices?

4. m-p{3}

Member m-p{3} GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The AK2 works very well the the EZ 3in1 when used with AKAiO. It will auto-load GBA backups located on the Slot-1 into the Slot-2, on the next load, it will backup the save onto the Slot-1.

5. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Im using an acekard 2i(slot 1) with ez flash 3in1(slot 2)
    trust me youll be really happy with that combo

6. Soplox

Banned Soplox Banned

Puerto Rico
    Cyclods is the best Slot-1 Flash Cart but is expensive but there other the EDGE that is the clone of the Cyclods or you can get a Acekard. These three are the best ones

7. .:Crimonite:.
    OP

Australia
    wouldn't it be better just to get the Acekard 2? i though Acekard 2i was for DSi only. I have an NDS Lite.

btw, could people please give me a run down on who to buy from? I dont mind too much about speed or price but i dont want to wait more than a couple of weeks. Also, about the state of the item when delivered (broken, bent, ect.)

EDIT: also, acekard 2 or acekard RPG?

8. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    An ak2i is only a few more dollars depending where you buy it. You never know when your dsl might go crap on you. I dunno where to tell you where to buy from since you live in australia but how about ozmodchips.com

9. .:Crimonite:.
    OP

Australia
    thx, ill have a look. at the moment im looking at realhotstuff.com. ive heard they're reliable, but not sure how shipping to australia is.

10. .:Crimonite:.
    OP

Australia
    geez, im definately going with realhotstuff.com atm. Heres a price comparison (incl. shipping, and i think they're both US Dollars).

RHS: Acekard 2 + 4GB MicroSDHC = $31.00
    EZ Flash 3-in-1 = $22.50
    Total: $53.50

OMC: Acekard 2 + 4GB MicroSDHC = $75.50
    EZ Flash 3-in-1 = $37.50
    Total: $113.00

11. BoxShot

United States
    o.o So how much is the shipping to Australia then?

12. .:Crimonite:.
    OP

Australia
    RHS: Acekard 2 + 4GB Kingston MicroSDHC + EZ Flash 3-in-1 (bundle) = $52.50 + $22.00 P&H
    Total = $74.50

OMC: Acekard 2 + 4GB Kingston MicroSDHC + EZ Flash 3-in-1 = $113.00 (Standard Post = Free, Express Post = $7.70)
    Total = $113.00 or $120.70

13. BoxShot

United States
    Are both in USD? Lol getting it from RHS is actually cheaper than buying it in Australia being in Australia.

14. .:Crimonite:.
    OP

Australia
    both converted to $AUS

15. Velveteer

Member Velveteer GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    It really depends on whether or not you want to buy from Australia or not. You're likely to get it faster from Australia and it's going to be easier to sort things out if anything goes wrong. I purchased my Acekard from an Australian store, and it turned up quite a lot faster than anything I've ordered from overseas.

Up to you, really.

16. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I'm really satisfied with my AK2i, I have had very little rom compatability issues, the GUI is quite friendly and there are plenty of guides to read. AKAIO is a must. Pretty much a Drag'N'Drop Flash-Cart. I've also heard good things about the M3i Sakura card. Homebrew compatability is pretty universal now.

If you don't mind waiting a while dealextreme (ships out of Hong Kong) has really great prices, (seems a bit redundent), but you might be waiting for a while. You can get an Acekard2i for around $12 and a 2GB micro-SD for around 10. Comes out at about $20.

I don't know much about the Slot 2's yet sorry : ) Good Luck!

17. Veristical Blaze

Member Veristical Blaze GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    EZ3 in 1 is the best for slot-2 devices, in the way i see. its possible too load your EZ from all flashcards if you have GBAexploader on your Slot-1 device

18. Rogue Trader

Member Rogue Trader GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    CycloDS' are pretty awesome, but I hear good things about the Acekard- so either will probably do.

The 3-in-1 is a fantastic slot-2. It pretty much does everything required, plus it's not too expensive. I can heartily recommend it.

Where you order from depends on how quick you want it. I'd say waiting a couple of extra days for a saving is worth it, but whatever.

19. .:Crimonite:.
    OP

Australia
    ok, thanks for the help. unless anything major happens, im probably going to order my Acekard 2, EZ Flash 3-in-1 and 4GB Kingston MicroSDHC in the next few days. I dont mind about the wait, i have my R4 to keep me going until it arrives, so its very likely ill get it from realhotstuff.com.

20. .:Crimonite:.
    OP

Australia
    hold on a second, i just found the wikedly awesome prices that dealextreme.com have. free shipping too (i think the free shipping is worldwide anyways). so im wondering, is it going to take like 6 months for it to get to Aus if i buy from there? what makes it so much cheaper than other sites? because i could get the whole kit stated above, minus the 4GB MicroSDHC (which a friend has promised to hook me up with one for like, 10 aussie dollars) for just under $30! if it looks to good to be true, is that probably because it is?

EDIT: also, what currency does dealextreme.com use? im assuming its $US.