Choosing a monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by luke_c, Jul 25, 2011.

Jul 25, 2011

Choosing a monitor by luke_c at 1:55 AM (843 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Along with building a new PC I plan to get another monitor, I'm just not sure what resolution I should be looking at getting.
    I watch all my movies/tv shows/anime in 720p as it's normally a lot smaller file size wise than 1080p rips are, I was thinking about getting a 1080p monitor for gaming and watching movies etc with surround sound but I understand that running games at 1080p will significantly decrease the amount of FPS I would be getting for games (I want 60FPS for BF3 for instance), getting a 720p monitor instead would make my build more future proof and let me run games smoother. I'm either getting a Radeon HD 6870 or 6950.

So should I just stick with getting a 720p monitor? (Or are most monitors 768p now?) and will I notice any major differences between 720p/1080p considering I will be getting a 24" monitor at max and be sitting about 1.5 meters away from it max.

2. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    the higher resolution does wonders for regular web browsing and whatever else you do on your computer, it just gives you more room to work with, and if you want you can lower the resolution in games

3. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Yeah, resolution is always adjustable

4. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    From what I have heard from the distance I will be sitting from the monitor and the size of it I wouldn't notice the difference, and I was unsure about running the games at a lower res as wouldn't the picture have to be stretched?

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I think almost all 24" monitors are 1080p nowadays. Just go with it.

6. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    You can always run the game in windowed mode at any resolution and yes your right if you want to run a game at a resolution lower thab 1080p it will be stretched.
    Edit: Oh and 720p on an 24 inch browser would be horrible for web browsing and productivity.

7. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    That's the thing, if I won't actually notice much of a difference and I have to start lowering the resolution to get smooth gameplay then I might as well just go for the 720p monitors if it's going to look worse.
    EDIT: Basically all I really need to know is how bad will it look running games at 720p on a 1080p monitor.

8. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    Get 1080p. Your monitor will outlast your desktop. You won't buy another monitor until your old one dies.

I say this after owning the same 1680x1050 monitor for the past 6 years. I have no plans on switching it in the next 6 years, either.

9. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    According to this chart I wouldn't even notice the difference, assuming I have a 25" monitor and am sitting 5 feet away.
    EDIT: If I do get a 1080p monitor it will be a Dell ST2220L LED 21.5".

10. IBNobody

United States
    Can you even buy a 720p monitor these days? That's a 1280x720 monitor. You'd have to buy a TV for that.

The standard resolution is much greater than 720P. Take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resol...mputer_Monitors

According to the Steam hardware survey listed there, 45% of gamers had at least 1680x1050.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

If you're worried about not being close enough, move your monitor closer!

11. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    1080P is only required if you want to get laid.

Also works well with movies.

12. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  13. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    I'm just worried about upscaling 720p content, will there be much detail loss or any other effects?

14. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    Nope. 720p is not all that high. Monitors with such a resolution have been around since the mid 90's. Hell, in a few months, phones are going to have 720p displays. Don't do yourself a disfavor by getting a low res monitor. Not to mention, 720p monitors, especially of the 20+ inch variety, are pretty rare nowadays. 720p content looks fine on 1080p monitors.

Furthermore, as storage becomes cheaper and more plentiful, you will at least have the option of consuming 1080p content in the future if you so desire. You're likely not going to buy a new monitor for a few years, so make sure you buy a good one now.

15. IBNobody

United States
    One last thing...

The most important thing about upscaling is the aspect ratio.

If you have a 1920x1080 (1080p) monitor, your monitor has a 16:9 ratio. (1920 / 1080 = 16 / 9)

As long as you stay with a resolution with the same ratio (1360x768 or 1600x900, etc), your video card and monitor can render that on your 1920x1080 monitor without any stretching.

16. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Ah, great! Looks like I'll get a 1080p monitor then and if I need to in games I will just lower the resolution the 768p or 900p. Just what I needed to know, thanks!