RELEASE ChoiDujourNX - a system firmware installer homebrew for the Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by rajkosto, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Shadow147

Shadow147 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    China
    Hi all!

So I updated to 6.2.0 via choidujournx in order to use the Nintendo User and Save Transfer Tool.

Now, after I installed it, I was able to boot successfully into CFW via hekate but I didn't realise that for some reason, my hekate didn't give me the 'PreventGCUpdate' option that you're supposed to use after updating via choidujournx.

Now I am getting update nags whenever I try to open the save transfer tool, and when checking my firmware it says system update ready. My burned fuses are still on 5 and I can still open atmosphere no problem.

So should my course of action now be to downgrade via choidujournx, and then upgrade back to 6.2.0 via choidujournx again, and make sure to use the PreventGCUpdate option? Tbh I still don't know why the option wasn't there the first time, but maybe there's a newer hekate package or something?

2. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 18, 2007
    This reads like Rudy Giuliani talking about the cyber.

The first time you booted into any firmware >= 4.0.0, without any NOGC patches, your gamecard slot was updated.
    The method described in the first posting to get nogc patches up and working is defunct - at least as far as running atmosphere is concerned.

Atmosphere 0.8.1 should have automatically applied nogc patches to safe your ass - seems like you didn't use the most current version.

Other than that you could have doubled down and used these nogc patches as well: https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-heard-that-you-guys-need-some-sweet-patches-for-atmosphere.521164/

Both of those methods work (even in combination) - and you should have gotten a "your gc slot doesnt respond, please reboot or contact nintendo" message on boot. If you didn't your gamecard slot firmware is updated. No way to downgrade.

What you "should do now" is up to you - "what is best firmware to have" is a silly game to play - that gets old after the first time (you are not the first one trying to play it though - so have solace in that).

You are getting the update nags, because you went online with your system. Having a ban deathwish or something. Asking for the yes please give me update nags, all the time Nintendo treatment. The intelligent persons approach would have been to use 90DNS (https://gbatemp.net/threads/90dns-dns-server-for-blocking-all-nintendo-servers.516234/) even before installing a CFW - so Nintendo gets blacked out in everything you do online. (No online play either. No "easy" game updates. Thats the tradeoff, with Atmosphere - at least currently. (No emunand))

edit: Didn't step far enough into Rudy Guliani thought process mode.

5 Fuses burned means firmware 4.0.0-4.1.0 to begin with. So this guy didnt ever need to prevent the Gamecard slot update, because he always had it.
    See: https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Fuses

But hey - I also often start talking about stuff I have no Idea about what it means... Not.

Atmosphere 0.8.1 didnt apply the NOGC patch in his case - because he already had the update on the system (4.0.0+). Most likely.

Last edited by notimp, Dec 6, 2018
  3. isoisoiso

isoisoiso GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2018
    Niger
    Could you add an option to nuke everything except user profiles?
    Of course, if it's too much work just forget about it, this tool is excellent as is, loved the interface, very well polished.

4. mooglazer

mooglazer GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Just wanted to drop a quick thank you, bumped up to 6.2.0 without any issue. Atmosphère 0.8.1 + Hekate 4.5 (using AMS 0.8.1 as primary payload), all updated.

Keep up the great work!

5. Shadow147

Shadow147 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    China

Okay-- many thanks for the comprehensive reply!

So I'll likely just have to eat the 6.2.0 update via wifi then-- that makes things simpler, at least.

The reason I turned off the 90DNS was precisely because I needed to use the save transfer tool, and assumed it would need to connect to Nintendo servers anyway, so just switched to auto dns and hoped for the best.

So now I'm thinking: If I update via wifi now, it'll likely be very easy for Nintendo to see that something's up, so should I use choidujournx to downgrade back to 4.1.0 (my original firmware) at least? Will that fuck anything up because I have the gamecart update now?

6. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I updated several times to firmware 6.2.0 from 6.1.0 sxos cfw and back down again to test Smash out I saw this updated gamecard controller firmware thing pop up in Choidujour but everything works as it should and it says firmware 6.2.0 atmosphere 0.8.1. in settings. I mean what is the PreventGCUpdate when it is at home does anyone really know and does it really matter when your flashing to the newest firmware? I think you might find your doing something else wrong it has nothing to do with this preventgcupdate.

Last edited by Reecey, Dec 7, 2018
  7. TouToTheHouYo

TouToTheHouYo Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    United States
    Hello one and all.

I've encountered a problem and would be much obliged to any help or suggestions the community could provide. I used ChoiDujourNX today to update from frimware version 5.1 to 6.1 on SX OX v2.3. The files were placed in the appropriate locations, the homebrew application verified the 6.1 files and installed them without incident. Once finished, when prompted to reboot I selected the in-app option to shutdown. Once powered down I tethered my system to my PC and attempted to inject the appropriate payload. The splash screen displayed, but then went blank and nothing else worked. Subsequent attempts at payload injection encountered the same problem.

Unable to boot into CFW I instead opted to boot up OFW. That was successful but I was then immediately prompted for an update to the microSD card slot and Joycons. The system reads 6.1 but it would appear something went wrong or I failed on my end somehow. I cannot get SX OX to boot properly. AutoRCM works, the payload injection works, I can access the CFW options menu, but attempting to boot into CFW results in a blank screen.

I'm not certain if the system can no longer read the SD card. Though if that were true SX OX shouldn't boot at all, correct? I haven't had my system connected to the internet in any way since I originally hacked it months ago. I presume if I were to attempt to do so now to update I wouldn't be able to simply update my SD card slot and Joycons but would be forced to update to 6.2. And also likely banned soon after. I'd like to avoid that if possible but if that's not an option to get CFW up and running again then so be it. I do have a OFW 5.1 NAND backup from before hacking the system. I've never set up emuNAND though.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Did you pick with or without exFAT?

9. TouToTheHouYo

TouToTheHouYo Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    United States
    It would appear I picked "without" exFAT.

Edit: Without the exFAT update would it be possible to reformat my microSD card as FAT32 to access CFW then apply the necessary SD card and joycon patches? Would I be able to use ChoiDujourNX and run the 6.1 installation again to do so? Or would I have to downgrade first and upgrade again? If so, is there anything else I would need other than SX OX, the latest ChoiDujourNX distribution, and the relevant OFW installation files?

If that isn't an option would officially upgrading to OFW 6.2 from an illegitimate 6.1 to use Hekate / Atmosphere be possible? I'd expect and accept a ban but would that prevent the update?

If neither of those, would it instead be advisable to restore my OFW 5.1 NAND backup and try ChouDujourNX again to update to 6.1?

Edit #2: I formatted my SD card to FAT32 and reinstalled OFW 6.1 via ChoiDujourNX with the exFAT patch. I can boot properly but the system still prompts for a controller update. Is this something that can be applied separately or do I just have to ignore it? Scratch that. I should've known better. It's just an update for the Joycons directly.

I seem to have fixed the problem. I presumably blew my fuses, which is unfortunate, but at least the more pressing matter have been resolved.

Last edited by TouToTheHouYo, Dec 7, 2018
  10. Tere Valentin

Tere Valentin GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Thanks to ChoiDujourNX, I updated to 6.0.0 without burning fuses.
    But I don't remember exacly where I got the update files from @.@ I want to update to 6.0.1
    Does the website in page1 give a link to download the update files? Unless I'm a dummy, I didn't see them.

11. cyndor

cyndor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    Look closely at FAQ on the site.

Last edited by cyndor, Dec 8, 2018 at 8:36 PM
  12. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    I must be screwing something up here.

In the homebrew application on the Switch, the directory that has all my update files ...doesn't show show up as a directory. It just asks like an unrecognized file of some sort. I do see *other* directories though.

I'm fairly certain the SD card is exFAT. I'm trying to move the update files over on a Mac. Does OSX have some sort of weird issue?

13. worm28

worm28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    This is probably one hell of a stupid question but if i all ready have the exfat driver installed on my switch and i update with choidujournx do i need to choose the exfat option when updating?

14. TouToTheHouYo

TouToTheHouYo Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    United States
    Yes, you do. Otherwise the system wont recognize your exFAT formatted card and you won't be able to boot into CFW.

15. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Does this tool work for updating EmuNand? If so, how?

I keep seeing people say it can be done, but not seeing how to do so. Trying to gather information for when my SX Pro arrives.

16. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 18, 2007
    edit: Previous answer given in here (see spoiler tag) was wrong. Please read this:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/choiduj...e-nintendo-switch.513416/page-67#post-8420890

wrong but heartfelt

Last edited by notimp, Dec 9, 2018 at 12:25 PM
  17. StarGazerTom

Feb 2, 2015
    So that's a no then, which would have sufficed. I only got SXOS because it has emunand and there's no current freeware emunand solution, and I was buying an SX gear anyway because I'm sick of using my computer to boot.

18. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 18, 2007
    It wouldnt have sufficed. But it would have been more convenient for you.

Remember - I'm not in here to work as your support agent. I actually care about what makes this community. You care about product support, and "most features piracy".

As always - I'm writing this in the hope that others in a similar situation might see this, and take different actions than you did. And in the hope, that some folks start thinking structurally - and actually stop using their smartphones as "quick question please answer" solicitation windows into a world they dont really care to understand.

Also - in terms of emunand. Ask Team executer what its actually there for, if you get the chance. ;) Currently its there for nothing - because they dont have 6.2.0 support. When its there for anything - ask them which one you should use (the fake emunand, or the real emunand) and what for (not getting banned until the next firmware update? (they write in boot1 and sysnand - so it should be detectable - also, at least in one "solution" they actually share the Nintendo folder, so now even your savegames could get you banned)). I mean - I can throw around fake PR features all the time to make people excited. We have not yet reached the point of them actually proving their promise of "play online - and use piracy" that they are selling under the term.

Last edited by notimp, Dec 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM
  19. StarGazerTom

Feb 2, 2015
    I've been using ReiNX until now. I'm literally only using EmuNand because some fuckheads out there are creating malware to fuck up switches, I couldn't give a shite about your morality (which is what your post was about, trying to be the "moral" person). Once ReiNX or some other CFW gets EmuNand, I'll be jumping to that.

And I'll also point out, I don't expect you, or anyone to be my customer support. But when I answer a question where possible, I think it's only fair to be able ask the community a question in return, without getting someone spinning me a teary eye'd story about how some poor workers had to work a few extra hours. Guess what, if you're working, you're expected to do that every once in a while.

This'll be the last I reply to you, because I'm not turning this into a Pro-TX, Anti-TX thread. I asked a simple question, thank you for the answer. The rest was unnecessary.

20. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 18, 2007
    On the "breaking switches" stuff. Can be compensated by having a nand backup. Also it happened one time so far (afair). This is not a real "viable" vector to do harm to many people.

Think about what you have to do.

You have to make brickware out of a popular warez release that people are anticipating. Then upload the thing at a popular source (which today are all centralized), then you survive there unless - anyone actually tries out your brickware - before allowing you to publish. And you survive all the large amount of time until the first guy bricking - and shouting, this is brickware - getting the stuff depublished.

The risk of brickware to actually become a real problem isnt really that high if you think about it. At best it will make you wait until release day, and start caring about sources. Problem solved.

Also - as far as homebrew goes, only install nsps from reliable sources. Problem solved (nros launched through gallery shouldnt have the needed permissions to brick (probably ;) )).

The issue is overplayed. It was an unfunny prank by a sole player so far (afaik), that never had potential to affect that many people to begin with.

People switching to SX OS (and emunand) because of the brick risk - just feels so terribly wrong... (Solution in search for a problem.)

edit: Also - it wouldnt actually work - come to think about it. ;) The brickware overwrote sectors in boot0 (?) - so it would potentially brick switches, regardless of if they were booted into emunand or not.

Last edited by notimp, Dec 9, 2018 at 12:04 PM