RELEASE ChoiDujourNX - a system firmware installer homebrew for the Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by rajkosto, Aug 1, 2018.

1. nixi4

nixi4 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    United States
    A corn field q.q
    Ah, I wasn't under the impression boot0 was overwritten going into it, but I suppose that's a product of my lack of research. ;_: sorry for wasting your time

2. razzim

razzim Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    Ecuador
    but how can i choose the file system with that program? all it lets me do is "quick format" and "overwrite format", both of which format to fat32

(had to remove your hyperlink since i am a new member at gbatemp)

3. rajkosto
    OP

rajkosto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 6, 2017
    It formats according to specification, which is exFAT for any SDXC cards (>= 32GB)

razzim likes this.
  4. razzim

razzim Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    Ecuador
    alright, thanks!

5. mrmouse781

mrmouse781 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    United States
    If using SX OS, can I boot via that, go to load external payload, then select RajNX, and load the ChoiDuJourNX from there to do the firmware update from 3.0 to 5.1?

6. rajkosto
    OP

Apr 6, 2017
    Yes you can. But using SXOS means you will never be able to properly apply PreventGCUpdate

mrmouse781 likes this.
  7. mrmouse781

mrmouse781 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    United States
    Ok thanks. I'm on the fence... sort of leaning towards just doing it and understanding GC will no longer work on fw less than 4.0 (I doubt I would ever need to use it on the lower fw anyway). I'm mostly interested in just keeping the ability to downgrade fw incase of new options in the future. But I'm also a newb :D so trying to learn and make sure I'm not missing something before doing something permanent...

I guess another option is to forget about SX OS for now and just learn to do the payload injector differently and use RajNX.

EDIT: As for PreventGCUpdate, if I did just use SX OS, thereby ignoring the PreventGCUpdate, does that just mean that I won't be able to use physical game copies on Firmware below 4.0.0 but no other negative repercussions from doing that? For example, if I untethered boot method or some other improved features in the future, I could still downgrade the fw at that point and use those fine. Even potentially downgrade, setup that new feature, then upgrade back to latest FW and still be able to use my GC then. I usually never use physical carts regardless so I just want to make sure I wouldn't be hurting myself by skipping this step. I just see that everyone seems to want this PreventGCUpdate so I just want to make sure I'm not missing something if I let the GC update.

Last edited by mrmouse781, Aug 10, 2018
  8. RobCat030

RobCat030 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2018
    United States
    Sorry if this has already been asked. Has anyone tried using this to delete traces of nsp installations? Factory reset and then firmware "upgrade" (or reinstall if already on 5.1.0)?

9. rajkosto
    OP

Apr 6, 2017
    You can probably do that more efficiently just by deleting system savedata yourself, see http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Flash_Filesystem#System Savegames
    (you probably want to nuke your espersonalized to get rid of all the fake tickets, and maybe 8000....121 and 8000....122)
    The only system savedata you need for the system to boot is 8000...120 (index of installed system titles)

Stone-D likes this.
  10. RobCat030

RobCat030 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2018
    United States
    Wouldn't I also have to clear the Play Data log as well (not sure about crash logs since I haven't had any crashes)? I figured I would raise some flags to Nintendo doing this myself without factory resetting.

11. rajkosto
    OP

Apr 6, 2017
    if you wanna nuke everything just manually delete all system savedata except 8000...120
    and then delete everything off user since nothing indexes it anymore (except Nintendo/Album i guess)

12. RobCat030

RobCat030 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2018
    United States
    Got it, thank you!

13. Stone-D

Stone-D Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    Indonesia
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Once that's done, is it safe to run a something like sdelete or precompact via HacDiskMount to fill empty space with zeros and maximize compressibility?

14. rajkosto
    OP

Apr 6, 2017
    That will actually minimize it, since zeroes written to the partition end up as encrypted nonsense in the backups (unless you are storing backups without BIS encryption)

Stone-D likes this.
  15. shano

shano Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2012
    Australia
    Would just doing a NAND restore nuke all the traces?

16. saito1234

saito1234 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    If I use ChoiDujourNX and I want to update to 5.1.0 what game can I use?

I see there is Taiko no Tatsujin Nintendo Switch Version however that is Japanese, does that not cause problems?
    Is there maybe an EUR game which I can use?

17. RobCat030

RobCat030 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2018
    United States
    If it's a clean nand then yes. I was asking about this because I lost my clean nand backup, and was wondering if this would do a similar thing.

18. cyndor

cyndor Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    Every switch is region free.

19. Serfrost

Serfrost GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2015
    United States
    You can download the firm updates from xbins.

20. SonGoku78

SonGoku78 GBAtemp Regular

May 11, 2014
    Gambia, The
    @rajkosto my filezilla didnĀ“t want to download from xbins. so how do i extract an update folder from game xci ? with your pc tool ?
    and which location do i put that folder (extracted from xci) on my sd card ?