Homebrew RELEASE ChoiDujourNX - a system firmware installer homebrew for the Nintendo Switch

shano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you don't want to loose any game progress, downgrade via Choi.. nand restore will also restore save data.
Cool! Cant we backup saves via homebrew save editors though? Also have you done a downgrade back via ChoiDujourNX, easy going?

masterzed

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Be careful with SX dongle !

You need it to load Hekate payload then HBmenu to launch ChoiDuJourNX.

When you will be in 5.1.0, don’t use SX OS or your gamecart reader will be updated and will be no longer usuable in 2.3.0.

ChoiDuJourNX will install AutoRCM and you absolutely need to press VOL+ button each time you plug the SX Dongle to load Hekate and its « PreventGCupdate » boot configuration.
thanks for replay!
what is the best possibility to use Sx os with min. FW 4.0., wihtout funing fuses?

MartiBot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
not sure why, but when i open ChoiDujour it doesn't see all my folders (Just nintendo, system volume info, switch and tinfoil) everything else is viewed as a blank file. e.g i can see my 'folder' called "Firmware" but cannot click it as it thinks its a file?
Not sure if the fact I'm on a mac is causing the wrong extension being written?
even when i drag the firmware folder into another visible folder it then see it as a '0' icon

I’ve solved this issue by deleting and copying the folders again (keeping the original name of xbins ones). I’m on Mac also.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

thanks for replay!
what is the best possibility to use Sx os with min. FW 4.0., wihtout funing fuses?

Do you know the difference between e-fuses and gamecart update ?

Wait for team Xecuter, there is no way for now to launch SX OS without updating the GC.

Reactions: metaljay

fOmey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Cool! Cant we backup saves via homebrew save editors though? Also have you done a downgrade back via ChoiDujourNX, easy going?

Backing up saves is definitely a option and a wise decision regardless what method you use..

As shchmue mentioned you might need to wipe anyway if your jumping major versions (3.0.0 from 5.1.0 for example) if your downgrading using Choi.. so you'd loose save data anyway regardless what method you use.

I haven't downgraded, but supposedly it's the same exact process... if you need to wipe you just tick the "system initialize" box.

EDIT: Then again tho, if you restore nand you need to restore a whole bunch of crap with it (game updates etc.)... I would probably try choi first without a wipe in hopes of saving time, if for whatever reason that didn't work.. restore nand.

Last edited by fOmey,

South Cape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hey, so there’s a really good chance that this is written somewhere else and that I just didn’t notice it and so I’m just a bit of a dummy, but I wanted to put this warning down just in case someone else is about to make the same mistake I did.

I had read somewhere to make absolutely sure that the methods used to AutoRCM should match and so not to mix them. Since I had installed AutoRCM already, when I installed 5.1.0 on my 3.0.0 Switch, I unchecked “Install AutoRCM” because my thinking was “I already have it, I don’t want to mix methods, no need to install it.”

What I did NOT expect was that ChoiDujour would UNINSTALL AutoRCM. So when I next booted my console, OFW booted up normally, and as such, I can safely assume my cart slot firmware was updated. Which sucks.

This is very possibly a goof on my part from not reading instructions properly, so I’m not complaining. I just wanted to point it out in case it had not been pointed out clearly yet.

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey, so there’s a really good chance that this is written somewhere else and that I just didn’t notice it and so I’m just a bit of a dummy, but I wanted to put this warning down just in case someone else is about to make the same mistake I did.

I had read somewhere to make absolutely sure that the methods used to AutoRCM should match and so not to mix them. Since I had installed AutoRCM already, when I installed 5.1.0 on my 3.0.0 Switch, I unchecked “Install AutoRCM” because my thinking was “I already have it, I don’t want to mix methods, no need to install it.”

What I did NOT expect was that ChoiDujour would UNINSTALL AutoRCM. So when I next booted my console, OFW booted up normally, and as such, I can safely assume my cart slot firmware was updated. Which sucks.

This is very possibly a goof on my part from not reading instructions properly, so I’m not complaining. I just wanted to point it out in case it had not been pointed out clearly yet.
What's way more annoying than having updated your cartridge reader is that you also burned your efuses if your switch booted via the nintendo bootloader... So from now on you won't be able to downgrade and boot via the regular nintendo bootloader to enjoy the untethered exploits that should be released soon unfortunately...

As for the technical explanation, AutoRCM works by corrupting some files of the boot partition, and since updating requires rewriting this partition, it disabled your previous AutoRCM.

So yeah pretty useful warning, thanks for sharing, maybe rajkosto will update the FAQ to make it extra clear that AutoRCM shouldn't be disabled even with a previous version installed. And with some luck some untethered exploits will be discovered for 5.1 in the future !

Last edited by LeMageFro,

DeathGrind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all. I'm looking use this to upgrade my 1.00 switch to 3.xx. I am currently backing up my nand and keys, etc. I would appreciate some clarification on this sentence
"Additionally, if you are trying to run ChoiDujourNX on 1.0.0, you must also add debugmode=1 to your hekate launch profile"

I am unsure how this is achieved.

I am just starting to learn about the switch hacking after using the reboot to rcm in pegaswitch to test fusee gelee. My switch has sat for months, I finally got a large SD card to easily create a nand back up, and am looking forward to tinkering.
Thanks

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks for replay!
The best possibility is to use either RajNX or ReiNX from now on and forget all about SXOS ;). The only downside is that these don't offer an xci loader yet, but they let you install NSP files through the homebrew called tinfoil.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hello all. I'm looking use this to upgrade my 1.00 switch to 3.xx. I am currently backing up my nand and keys, etc. I would appreciate some clarification on this sentence
"Additionally, if you are trying to run ChoiDujourNX on 1.0.0, you must also add debugmode=1 to your hekate launch profile"

I am unsure how this is achieved.

I am just starting to learn about the switch hacking after using the reboot to rcm in pegaswitch to test fusee gelee. My switch has sat for months, I finally got a large SD card to easily create a nand back up, and am looking forward to tinkering.
Thanks
You'll need to open the file called hekate_ipl.ini at the root of your sd card, and add the line debugmode=1 under the boot option you'll be using to start the "cfw" that will let you run ChoiDuJourNX. If you tell me which version of SD files you're using (maybe TumGer's SD files v6.1?) I can answer you more precisely.
Also congrats on owning one of the few 1.0 switches still out there and not updating it for so long ! Your patience is about to be rewarded my friend :) !

Reactions: DeathGrind

DeathGrind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply. I am not currently running any version of SD files. I am more or less following this guide
https://gbatemp.net/threads/backup-...-your-biskeys-tseckeys-keys-txt-guide.513386/
Since I am using osx I am using fusee-launcher rather then Tegrasmash.

Looking through the .ini provided from the guide I do not see boot option anywhere. I'm sure I am overlooking something. I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Edit I assume you add the debugmode=1 line as follows:

[config]
autoboot=0
bootwait=5
customlogo=1
verification=2
debugmode=1

{-- Custom Firmwares --}
[CFW]
kip1=modules/newfirm/loader.kip
kip1=modules/newfirm/sm.kip
[CFW for Firmware 1.0]
kip1=modules/oldfirm/loader.kip1
kip1=modules/oldfirm/sm.kip1
[CFW + Clear Log]
kip1=modules/newfirm/loader.kip
kip1=modules/newfirm/sm.kip
kip1=modules/nx-dreport.kip
{ }
etc......

Still waiting on RAW nand backup to complete, probably another 45 minutes or so. It will be awhile before I attempt using this tool, as I plan on testing out NXloader, RajNX v072. Testing out mario kart nsp install (one of very few 1.00fw games), learning and tinkering with the 1.00 FW. Then I will upgrade 3.xx without burning fuses to play mario and skyrim lol.

Last edited by DeathGrind,
Reactions: LeMageFro

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for the reply. I am not currently running any version of SD files. I am more or less following this guide
https://gbatemp.net/threads/backup-...-your-biskeys-tseckeys-keys-txt-guide.513386/
Since I am using osx I am using fusee-launcher rather then Tegrasmash.

Looking through the .ini provided from the guide I do not see boot option anywhere. I'm sure I am overlooking something. I appreciate the help. Thank you.
Using fusee-launcher won't change anything to the process :) . I checked the files provided in the tutorial and they are just an older version of TumGer's SD files (as written at the end of the hekate_ipl.ini file).
So you will have to open hekate_ipl.ini and add the line "debugmode=1" at the end of the entry called "[CFW for Firmware 1.0]" (These are what I call the "boot options"), so between the lines "kip1=modules/oldfirm/sm.kip1" and "[CFW + Clear Log]". Then you can just follow the instructions provided in the ReadMe of ChoiDuJourNX. If you need more help don't hesitate to DM me because I think we're getting off-topic.

Edit : Also do you own Mario and Skyrim on a cart ? If so you're right to update to 3.XX (assuming that's the FW they require) because this will let you keep using your cart reader, but if you don't then why not update all the way to 5.1 and enjoy any game you wan't ? (Bought legally on the eShop of course !)

DeathGrind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using fusee-launcher won't change anything to the process :) . I checked the files provided in the tutorial and they are just an older version of TumGer's SD files (as written at the end of the hekate_ipl.ini file).
So you will have to open hekate_ipl.ini and add the line "debugmode=1" at the end of the entry called "[CFW for Firmware 1.0]" (These are what I call the "boot options"), so between the lines "kip1=modules/oldfirm/sm.kip1" and "[CFW + Clear Log]". Then you can just follow the instructions provided in the ReadMe of ChoiDuJourNX. If you need more help don't hesitate to DM me because I think we're getting off-topic.

Edit : Also do you own Mario and Skyrim on a cart ? If so you're right to update to 3.XX (assuming that's the FW they require) because this will let you keep using your cart reader, but if you don't then why not update all the way to 5.1 and enjoy any game you wan't ? (Bought legally on the eShop of course !)

Thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated :) . I now understand where to enter the debugmode=1.
I also vastly appreciate the offer to DM for assistance.

Yes, I do own the carts for skyrim and mario, have for quite some time now lol. They are still unopened. They both require 3.0.1 if I remember correctly. Also yes, I am only updating to 3.xx to play my games without burining fuses for the cart reader. I have been holding out for emunand, but reading many times a day about the current switch hacks it seems that this is a really good option to upgrade FW and retain my 1.00 base. Also, ChoiDuJourNX seems to make the whole non fuse burning upgrade less daunting then the the original steps.

Thanks again for the help :)

Reactions: LeMageFro

MrDDON

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey Guys!

My first post, so be patient with me.

My Switch was on 4.1.0. I Entered RCM and used the newest ReiNX as "CFW"

I put this awesome tool into my folder, extracted the Update from the XCI (Octopath Traveler) and installed the Update 5.0.2 with this tool.

My problem after the reboot now:

i can insert the ReiNX payload, but the switch screen stays black - what can i do?

Thanks!

Last edited by MrDDON,

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey Guys!

My first post, so be patient with me.

My Switch was on 4.1.0. I Entered RCM and used the newest ReiNX as "CFW"

I put this awesome tool into my folder, extracted the Update from the XCI (Octopath Traveler) and installed the Update 5.0.2 with this tool.

My problem after the reboot now:

i can insert the ReiNX payload, but the switch screen stays black - what can i do?

Thanks!

This may be the answer you're looking for :

For anyone who already has ReiNX installed and wants to keep using it after the whole updating procedure, you have to once use a hekate payload like: https://github.com/rajkosto/hekate/releases
Then you simply create a "hekate_ipl.ini" at the root of your SD card with this content:

Code:
[config]
autoboot=5
bootwait=3
customlogo=1
verification=2

{-------- CFW -------}
[ReiNX (SVC Perms)]
kip1=ReiNX/sysmodules/loader.kip
kip1=ReiNX/sysmodules/sm.kip
kip1=ReiNX/sysmodules/FS.kip
fullsvcperm=1

I used to do it like this on my 3.0.0 Switch and updated to 5.1.0 with ChoiDujourNX. Other FW versions like 1.0.0 probably require the debugmode entry as it's stated in the FAQ in OP.
The reason why you once need hekate, is because ReiNX most likely doesn't give full SVC permissions for homebrews, which ChoiDujourNX needs, or else it will crash upon launch (maybe @Reisyukaku can add it if he sees reason in that).

After the whole procedure, you can delete the created "hekate_ipl.ini" and copy the needed ReiNX files for your updated FW version. It offers all the neccessary patches like nogc, sigpatch and nocmac out of the box w/o further configuration.
Even exFAT is enabled in case you didn't choose to install the exFAT version of your desired update for some reason.

NOTE: I see a lot of arguments which CFW is better, or why choose it over the other. This post it not meant to start another discussion about CFW vs. CFW, I simply used ReiNX because I already had it on my SD card and tried to update with the least amount of "hassle" and keep on using it after the procedure. Freedom of choice should be allowed without verbal "fights", so please let this post fly under the radar.

Regards,
iCEQB

Edit : actually this seems to be made to let ChoiDuJourNX run on ReiNX in the first place, but apparently you managed to launch it already, so I'm not sure this will help.

MrDDON

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank u already for that!

I was able to lunch hekate. I choosed ReiNX from the CFW menu
This may be the answer you're looking for :

Edit : actually this seems to be made to let ChoiDuJourNX run on ReiNX in the first place, but apparently you managed to launch it already, so I'm not sure this will help.
, now my Switch stucks on the nintendo switch boot logo :(

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Funny! I just tried the whole thing with RajNX at it worked!

Thanks for your help fellas!
If you still want to use ReiNX I just read that in the discord :
"Why do I get a black screen after nintendo switch logo / why do I have random issues?
Try removing the fs_mitm.kip file under ReiNX/sysmodules/ on your microsd card."

This looks just like the issue you were having so I hope it fixes it.

Ranshiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I know that if you want to preserve your fuses after upgrading, you keep it in AutoRCM and never boot Horizon.

My question is what if I use ChoiDuJourNX to go up to 5.1.0 and use that for a bit and then I go back down to 4.1.0 (my current firmware). Could I then go take it off AutoRCM and boot into Horizon without fear of it burning the fuses from when i went up to 5.1.0?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that if you want to preserve your fuses after upgrading, you keep it in AutoRCM and never boot Horizon.

My question is what if I use ChoiDuJourNX to go up to 5.1.0 and use that for a bit and then I go back down to 4.1.0 (my current firmware). Could I then go take it off AutoRCM and boot into Horizon without fear of it burning the fuses from when i went up to 5.1.0?
Only use AutoRCM if you are on a firmware that does not match the current number of fuses burnt. In laymen's terms, run AutoRCM if you have a firmware that doesn't match your original firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end