XP
Country
United States
homebrew.gif
Chocobo Joust
Remake of Joust for DS
chocobojousttitle.png
chocobojoustscreen.png

Chocobo Joust is a Final-Fantasy-themed remake of Joust for the Nintendo DS.
In the game, you'll find yourself flying your Chocobo character around, collecting coins, pecking at and dodging enemies.

The game is in a very early stage, and far from complete.

QUOTE(Developer's Note) said:
Something I was working on over summer. It's my first PAlib project so I tried to keep it small and simple. Basically it's Joust (the old arcade game with the knights and flying ostriches/vultures) but with a bit of a final fantasy theme. I edited the original joust guy to make the chocobo/knight... The vulture guys and eggs are a straight rip, but everything else was made from scratch by me.

Only levels 1 and 3 have any enemies or coins. It's a fairly long way from being complete, but it might be ages before I get the time to put any real work in to again, so I just wanted to show what I'd done so far to see what people think and actually get some of my work out there for people to see. I've been making games for years (not with PAlib, or anything as complex, mind) and never finished one so I've never shown any of my projects to anyone before.

I'd like to point out (to satisfy my own ego really) that I'm capable of producing much better sprites, but for this project was just about getting to grips with PAlib as I only had a few months to invest in learning.

*** It says "press any key to begin", but only pressing A starts the game. Excuse the laziness. ***

Press A to flap, left and right to walk, to fly left or right you need to hold either directional button whilst flapping.

Kill enemies by bopping them on the head.

Mogs act as continue points.

Once you've hit the end of a level keep going til you're off the screen to finish it and start the next one.

You can pause with the Start button.

Pressing B skips you to the next level.
download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
(copied over from the other thread)
ohmy.gif
Omg you'd got me at the word Joust! Me and my sister used to play the original when we were kids, it was hilarious in multiplayer. Hours of entertainment from 2 flying emus (or whatever they were). I am so trying this this afternoon
smile.gif

[Edit]: And a rather nice piece of homebrew it is; side scrolling and collecting coins works surprisingly well with the old concept. The backgrounds are pretty sweet. The screen gap threw me off a bit but that comes with the territory on the DS. Only minor quibble is that when you hit a wall the rebound seems a bit strong, it takes a while to recover but maybe that's intentional (wouldn't want it to be too easy now would we?). Nicely done
smile.gif

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Psyfira said:
(copied over from the other thread)
ohmy.gif
Omg you'd got me at the word Joust! Me and my sister used to play the original when we were kids, it was hilarious in multiplayer. Hours of entertainment from 2 flying emus (or whatever they were). I am so trying this this afternoon
smile.gif

[Edit]: And a rather nice piece of homebrew it is; side scrolling and collecting coins works surprisingly well with the old concept. The backgrounds are pretty sweet. The screen gap threw me off a bit but that comes with the territory on the DS. Only minor quibble is that when you hit a wall the rebound seems a bit strong, it takes a while to recover but maybe that's intentional (wouldn't want it to be too easy now would we?). Nicely done
smile.gif
The original joust had a strong rebound also.

SoulAnger

MENUdo's Developer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There was a chocobo that could fly on FF7 and FF4(FF2 (USA)). I think it was the black one?
I also have posted this a few days back on the user news page.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Must be a regional thing.