Chkdisk.exe for Windows

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by sirdashadow, Jan 31, 2008.

1. sirdashadow
    OP

sirdashadow Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I've been lurking the forums for many years and I have seen people formatting their SD Cards over and over everytime they have corruption. That could lead to a premature death of the flash card depending on the way you format it. I used to go to the command line and do a chkdsk on the drive of the memory card to fix it, but I know a lot of people are scared of the command line.

So I found a little program I've been using for a while called checkDisk.exe that is just a GUI for windows to the command line. It is not a front-end...it will actually invoke the Windows routines to check the disk. Hope this helps some people out there.

Moderators feel free to sticky/move the post if you want to whenever you think it could be most useful. I can't attach files because I just registered...

http://www.paehl.de/checkdisk.zip

2. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Seeing you're a new member here, I didn't think posting a link to a program (.exe) was very appropriate.
    This could easily have raised suspicion, I'm sure you understand why.

However I just checked out the program you're linking to and I just wanted to confirm that it is a legit, working program (not a virus/malware).
    Just saying, in case other people would have doubts about it.

Thanks for the tip, sirdshadow.

3. sirdashadow
    OP

sirdashadow Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Thanks Costello, I figured it would be better if you guys check it out for the reasons that you mentioned. The sad thing is that when I tried to do a google search on the program, another "checkdisk.exe" came up that masquerades as a trojan [​IMG]

But I've been using the program for at least a year, long before I got an R4DS and it works very well...

In any case here is the author's download page with all of his programs http://www.paehl.de/english.php . There is some interesting stuff there as well.

4. matriculated

matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    Couldn't you just right click on the memory card and press the Check for Disk Errors button?

5. mrgone

mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    Gambia, The
    that opens scandisk, microsofts windows version of chkdsk combined with a GUI

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
  7. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    You can also use MCTool v0.16 as an alternate DS-side CHKDSK utility in addition to the DSLinux one FAST6191 posted.