Chinese Touch 1.4 – Stroke Order

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Oct 5, 2010.

Oct 5, 2010
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    Chinese Touch 1.4 – Stroke Order
    Update
    [​IMG]

Learn to read and write Chinese using this NDS application. For more information check the project post, linked below.

[​IMG] Download 32.1 MB
    [​IMG] Project Post
    [​IMG] Source

2. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Interesting, though would be nice if there was an option to swap between Simplified and Traditional characters... Traditional Characters are way better. =)

3. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    +1 for traditional. It's not every language that has a character that looks like godzilla and means dragon.

4. Umbra

Newcomer Umbra Advanced Member

Mexico
    Interesting, i will give a try definitely.

5. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Traditional Cantonese FTW...
    As long as they don't release a traditional cantonese version, I won't be dling this...

6. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Taiwan speaks Mandarin and uses Traditional too. =/ Unless you did a typo.

7. YoshiKart

Member YoshiKart GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, I'd love to have an option to switch between Mandarin and Cantonese, and Simplified and Traditional. Mostly because I'm supposed to be native in Canto. [​IMG]
    This looks really well made, so I'll definitely give it a try, and possibly learn some more Chinese in the process. [​IMG]

8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    u could also try rosetta stone.. its pretty good

9. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Even though I'm Chinese, it's been long time since I write any Chinese characters.

Maybe this will brush up my skills.

10. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've been learning Chinese for about a year now, and I've been looking for a nds homebrew, app, or real game which allows u to draw characters and tell u their pronunciation as well as their meaning...can u do that with this game or is there some nds app that allows u to do that? I really don't want to spend $400 on an electronic dictionary.

11. syslock

Newcomer syslock Newbie

Germany
    Hi,

I am the developer of this application and want to respond to some of your questions. First Chinese Touch is technically not restricted to simplified characters and mandarin pronunciation. Also it was created to meet my own requirements for PRC standard Chinese in first place, I know of one or two users who use it with traditional characters or even for Japanese language in some way and I am personally thinking about trying to use the code base for totally different languages like Spanish or Arabic some day as a kind of experiment. The supported language is more a question of available dictionaries and lesson files. Currently there is an introductory course for simplified Chinese from Wikibooks included within the release archive. As everything is stored in UTF8-encoded plain text files, you may modify those to feature traditional characters and different pronunciations on your own. I would gladly include your modified versions in later releases or provide them as add-on packages at least. I already converted a couple of dictionaries, including traditional versions, that you can download from the projects download page at: http://code.google.com/p/chinese-touch/downloads/list
    If you know free offline dictionaries you would like to use in Chinese Touch and whose license statements allow republishing of converted/optimized versions, I could try to add those to the list.

Godreborn asked for handwriting recognition of Chinese characters. Sadly this is currently not implemented and won't be in the near future as I consider this a rather hard task. If you have some knowledge or at least ideas on how to implement this or other missing features, feel invited to join hacking on this little project.

12. Desendos

Newcomer Desendos Newbie

United Kingdom
    I'm learning Japanese and was just wondering if a Japanese version is made or will be made.

But I might as well learn some Chinese anyway.[​IMG]

13. Kusiga

Newcomer Kusiga Member

United States
    Pretty awesome, going to check this out. Was teaching myself to speak and understand other speaking Chinese a few years ago but could never find a good way to learn to write it so gave up a little. Hopefully this helps and will show my Chinese friends to see if they can understand my writing in a month or so...haha

14. HuRRicaN

Newcomer HuRRicaN Newbie

United Kingdom
    Thanks for this awesome piece of software, syslock!

15. Marauding

Member Marauding GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Stroke Order?

16. syslock

Newcomer syslock Newbie

Germany
    Well its a release subtitle indicating that the stroke order images from the Wikimedia Stroke Order project where integrated with that release.