Chinese Hacker Cracks Hundreds of Gmail Accounts.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SamAsh07, Jun 1, 2011.

1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    [​IMG]

Hundreds of Gmail accounts have been recently hacked, including the accounts of senior government and military personnel in the U.S. Additionally, officials and activists in South Korea and China were affected in the security breach.

Here's the official statement from Google:
    Through the strength of our cloud-based security and abuse detection systems*, we recently uncovered a campaign to collect user passwords, likely through phishing. This campaign, which appears to originate from Jinan, China, affected what seem to be the personal Gmail accounts of hundreds of users including, among others, senior U.S. government officials, Chinese political activists, officials in several Asian countries (predominantly South Korea), military personnel and journalists.

Google says that the hacker (or hackers), sent emails to the affected individuals, making themselves look like co-workers. They were monitoring the accounts and altering settings to enable forwarding and guest access to the accounts. How much Google knows about where the attacks originated is uncertain. But given the involvement of government and military employees, and the White House administration's strong position against cybercrimes, it makes the breach all the more intriguing.

Security blog Contagio also has a great analysis of the entire attack, including the above image, which shows how closely the Gmail login screen was mimicked in this phishing scheme.[/p]

[​IMG] Source

I thought no one would target Gmail lol.

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Hacking is just a way of saying "We Hate You" now. Or more rather it's just becoming a hobby.

Seriously, is it like hacking year?

3. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    It's the lead up to 2012, where on 21st December 2012, every frickin' site will get hacked, Mayans said that [​IMG]

4. Hydreigon

Member Hydreigon Isn't that DELICIOUS!?

Antarctica
    What if GBAtemp got hacked? What would happen then? [​IMG]

5. Nujui

United States
    Lol, I would actually believe that prediction.

@Hydreigon: We would hike to the backup GBATemp Forum like we always do when the site is down.

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    IMHO, phishing isn't hacking, since it does not relies on skills, but on the distractedness the targets.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "which shows how closely the Gmail login screen was mimicked in this phishing scheme"

Yet it is still filled with rookie mistakes. I might give them the hardcoded email but unless I have to look at source (and even then they can make it difficult) to tell pages apart it is not a good attack. I guess this is a know your audience thing.

"I thought no one would target Gmail"
    Granted I think volume wise Gmail is still way down the list but as mentioned before if you have a public facing site, much less a big one, then expect it to be hacked.

@KirbyBoy related to the above it is kind of like the time you started watching news and figuring stuff out about the world (or at least the "wow there is a lot out there) but for computer related stuff. Granted there have been a few higher profile (at least in our circles) attacks this last year compared to usual and a few older techniques have returned to common use but by any reasonable metric there has not really been anything different volume wise.

8. Nujui

United States
    It seems like that to me. I know hacking is a pretty common thing, it just been in the news more often about sites getting hacked. First is was sony. That went on for awhile, now it's google. It just seems to me that sites have been hacked a lot more than usually, but that's what I think.

9. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    it's already been hacked b4 [​IMG]

10. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    To be honest, the JS pop-up is a dead giveaway. If you ignored that, then you really have no rights to having passwords.