Chinese GM Cows Produce Human Breast Milk

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Chinese scientists have genetically modified dairy cows to produce human breast milk, and hope to be selling it in supermarkets within three years. The milk produced by the transgenic cows is identical to the human variety, with the same immune-boosting and antibacterial qualities as breast milk, scientists at China's Agricultural University in Beijing say.
The transgenic herd of 300 was bred by inserting human genes into cloned cow embryos which were then implanted into surrogate cows.
The technology used was similar to that used to produce Dolly the sheep.
The milk is still undergoing safety tests, but with government permission it will be sold to consumers as a more nutritious dairy drink than cow's milk.
Workers at the university's dairy farm have already tasted the milk, and say it is sweeter and stronger than the bovine variety.
"It's good," said worker Jiang Yao. "It's better for you because it's genetically modified."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Strange-N...man_Breast_Milk

I feel very uneasy about this genetic modification of animals with human genes lark.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
what the fucking hell???!!!!
blink.gif

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Great. Human genes inserted into animals...
The chinese are not the only ones that are fucking around with genetics. The western world is doing the same.
Nobody can foresee what consequences all that shit has in the long run. I'm seriously scared.

iceissocold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
iceissocold said:
"It's better for you because it's genetically modified."

How is modified better than natural?

Almost everything you eat isn't natural. Maybe most fish still is but that's changing.
I'm aware of it but the statement itself isn't right.

Society is sick and seeing stuff like this, I am scared for the future generations. :/

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
Next thing you'll know is they'll cater human-like meat from pigs that had human genes inserted in them... yeah no, that's sick.

But hey, when you were babies you already drank breast milk. It's like the argument people make about it... calves drink cow milk, puppies drink dog milk, kittens drink cat milk, and so on, why couldn't humans drink human milk? LOL.

I don't necessarily believe that everything natural is better for you than GM products, genetic modification really helps in some parts of the world, and while it's not exactly "ethical" for some people, it works.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
cosmiccow said:
Great. Human genes inserted into animals...
The chinese are not the only ones that are fucking around with genetics. The western world is doing the same.
Nobody can foresee what consequences all that shit has in the long run. I'm seriously scared.
This, totally. It is the thin end of the wedge and it is getting worse.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
zygie said:
Next thing you'll know is they'll cater human-like meat from pigs that had human genes inserted in them...

See a great deal of modern medicine. Modified animals or animal products for replacement everything (there was some awesome stuff being done with joints that is in advanced human trials last I checked) is a very hot topic in biology.

Other than having a giggle at sky's latest attempt to do science (maybe one day they will hire someone who made it through the dictionary definition of it) I have no qualms with this at all and if it can try to shift a people away from all "formula" all the time that makes life even better.

People say they are sick and/or scared and I think I will echo the words but with a different meaning; if the Chinese are playing science at this level then best start at least having some Chinese language skills. Sure the possibility of an autodarwin is always there but for me at least better that than standing still.

"immune-boosting" I am curious about though. I have no reason to doubt it at this point but is it not the case that at least some of immunological benefits are related to the producer of the milk?

Human genes in things- other than possible ethical issues (questions of sentience and the like) with certain hybrids what makes humans special in this regard?

"better for because it is modified"- if it is a claim of simply that they I might be inclined to debate but to offer a counterpoint before that point might this be a case of translation quirk. Also consider cultural implications; China owes a lot to GM foods and many Chinese respect GM foodstuffs a great deal in general.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn