Chinese girls born in single body with 2 heads

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TLSS_N, May 10, 2011.

May 10, 2011
  1. TLSS_N
    OP

Member TLSS_N Who is John Galt?

United States
    BEIJING – A hospital in southwestern China says conjoined twin girls with a single body and two heads have been born at its facility.

A staffer surnamed Wang at Suining City Central Hospital in Sichuan province says the girls were born Thursday.

Wang said Tuesday the parents, who are farmers, did not want to have the babies at first, fearing they could not afford to keep them alive. She said they transferred the twins to a hospital in the nearby metropolis of Chongqing to be examined by experts.

The local Huaxi Metropolis Daily reported the twins weighed 9 pounds (4 kilograms) and measured 20 inches (51 centimeters). They have two spines and two esophaguses and share other organs. Doctors were quoted as saying it would be nearly impossible to separate them.
    [/p]

source

image in source.

2. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    Interesting, here's food for a thought, does this "child" get one share of inheritance or two?

3. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Even more interesting a thought: If the only duplicated organ of these "twins" are the head, spine, and esophagus;, if you were to remove the additional head to provide a more normal life for the girl, is this tantamount to killing a (whole) child?
    It brings up some serious moral questions.

4. TLSS_N
    OP

United States
    it is a difficult situation, that's for sure so I suppose that It's the parents call.

5. Vulpes Abnocto

United States
    These children will absolutely not have anything akin to a normal life, no matter what decision is made. If allowed to remain and grow as they are the separate heads will almost certainly develop distinct personalities. Over time the girls will most likely develop a symbiotic relationship where one girl controls one side of the body and vice-versa. Removing one of the girls will most likely leave a void that cannot be filled in the surviving girl's life (seen a number of times before in conjoined twins where one twin dies)

So which is a better standard of living?
    A life of horrified stares whenever they meet new people, yet having a confidant to share the experience with?
    or
    A singular life with a major part, (a sister, a best friend) of the girl surgically removed?

I wouldn't wish this decision on anybody.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Why is it always farmers?

7. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States
    "Doctors were quoted as saying it would be nearly impossible to separate them."

not much of a decision to make

8. TLSS_N
    OP

United States
    neither would I, it's just a horrible ordeal. nothing we can do about it, just hope that if they do remove the second head, that nothing goes wrong.

9. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States
    "Doctors were quoted as saying it would be nearly impossible to separate them."

THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE SEPARATED
    I wish people would actually read more than the title before discussing things

10. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    So they probably have to decide what head they want to keep? :/

11. MaxNuker

Member MaxNuker GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute

Portugal
    if i read correctly, there are 2 heads and 2 spines.... these includes 2 brains right? xDD
    how can it be... 2 brains ( means 2 nerve control ) and only 1 single body... like one wants to move the right arm... but the other one doesnt want to... or will they have each one control over half of the body? o.O

12. TLSS_N
    OP

United States
    we are speaking more in a hypothetical situation, of course the child can not be separated.

13. Briadark

Member Briadark GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
  14. Miss Panda

Member Miss Panda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Interesting and pretty awful for all concerned. Depending on the overall physical health and assuming both twins are of normal intelligence then there is some hope of making a life for them with a decent quality of life. But I think where you are born is almost more important than the disability you have in cases like this. I'm thinking specifically of Abigail and Brittany Hensel in the USA. They have graduated from secondary school and have passed their driving test (they made them do it twice - one for each twin).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_and_Brittany_Hensel
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=1&oq...19d57c9b1bb4a83

Not a situation I would want to be in mind you.

15. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    I think they'll both live in the same body, but it would be interesting to see which is in control of which body parts, and if they only need to eat for one or two.

16. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    This isn't the first of its kind, the condition is called dicephalus twins.
    American born Abigail and Britanny Hensel share the same body and each control half of their body, and have already survived to 21 years old.

These chinese born girls may not be so fortunate to survive, only time will tell if there are any complications.

17. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Is China still applying the one-child policy ? If so, how much does this one count for ?

18. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay

Whatever they do, is wrong. They leave them how they are and their life will most likely be terrible, unless they share half a body each, what will make it just difficult. They take out the other one and it'd be killing a daughter.

This is sad.

19. Vulpes Abnocto

United States
    To "separate" them means to make two beings from the one that currently exists. Of course it would be impossible to do that.
    However removing one for the sake of the other is not "separating"

(At least that's how I read it.....Where's Densetsu when you need him for clarification....)

20. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    I was wondering that myself. I think multiple births do not apply seeing as how it's not really their fault.