Chinese girls born in single body with 2 heads

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BEIJING – A hospital in southwestern China says conjoined twin girls with a single body and two heads have been born at its facility.

A staffer surnamed Wang at Suining City Central Hospital in Sichuan province says the girls were born Thursday.

Wang said Tuesday the parents, who are farmers, did not want to have the babies at first, fearing they could not afford to keep them alive. She said they transferred the twins to a hospital in the nearby metropolis of Chongqing to be examined by experts.

The local Huaxi Metropolis Daily reported the twins weighed 9 pounds (4 kilograms) and measured 20 inches (51 centimeters). They have two spines and two esophaguses and share other organs. Doctors were quoted as saying it would be nearly impossible to separate them.
[/p]

source

image in source.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even more interesting a thought: If the only duplicated organ of these "twins" are the head, spine, and esophagus;, if you were to remove the additional head to provide a more normal life for the girl, is this tantamount to killing a (whole) child?
It brings up some serious moral questions.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Even more interesting a thought: If the only duplicated organ of these "twins" are the head, spine, and esophagus;, if you were to remove the additional head to provide a more normal life for the girl, is this tantamount to killing a (whole) child?
It brings up some serious moral questions.

it is a difficult situation, that's for sure so I suppose that It's the parents call.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These children will absolutely not have anything akin to a normal life, no matter what decision is made. If allowed to remain and grow as they are the separate heads will almost certainly develop distinct personalities. Over time the girls will most likely develop a symbiotic relationship where one girl controls one side of the body and vice-versa. Removing one of the girls will most likely leave a void that cannot be filled in the surviving girl's life (seen a number of times before in conjoined twins where one twin dies)

So which is a better standard of living?
A life of horrified stares whenever they meet new people, yet having a confidant to share the experience with?
or
A singular life with a major part, (a sister, a best friend) of the girl surgically removed?

I wouldn't wish this decision on anybody.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
These children will absolutely not have anything akin to a normal life, no matter what decision is made. If allowed to remain and grow as they are the separate heads will almost certainly develop distinct personalities. Over time the girls will most likely develop a symbiotic relationship where one girl controls one side of the body and vice-versa. Removing one of the girls will most likely leave a void that cannot be filled in the surviving girl's life (seen a number of times before in conjoined twins where one twin dies)

A life of horrified stares whenever they meet new people, yet having a confidant to share the experience with?
or
A singular life with a major part, (a sister, a best friend) of the girl surgically removed?

"Doctors were quoted as saying it would be nearly impossible to separate them."

not much of a decision to make

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:

or

neither would I, it's just a horrible ordeal. nothing we can do about it, just hope that if they do remove the second head, that nothing goes wrong.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE SEPARATED
I wish people would actually read more than the title before discussing things

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
if i read correctly, there are 2 heads and 2 spines.... these includes 2 brains right? xDD
how can it be... 2 brains ( means 2 nerve control ) and only 1 single body... like one wants to move the right arm... but the other one doesnt want to... or will they have each one control over half of the body? o.O

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:

we are speaking more in a hypothetical situation, of course the child can not be separated.

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting and pretty awful for all concerned. Depending on the overall physical health and assuming both twins are of normal intelligence then there is some hope of making a life for them with a decent quality of life. But I think where you are born is almost more important than the disability you have in cases like this. I'm thinking specifically of Abigail and Brittany Hensel in the USA. They have graduated from secondary school and have passed their driving test (they made them do it twice - one for each twin).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_and_Brittany_Hensel
http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=1&oq...19d57c9b1bb4a83

Not a situation I would want to be in mind you.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they'll both live in the same body, but it would be interesting to see which is in control of which body parts, and if they only need to eat for one or two.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This isn't the first of its kind, the condition is called dicephalus twins.
American born Abigail and Britanny Hensel share the same body and each control half of their body, and have already survived to 21 years old.

These chinese born girls may not be so fortunate to survive, only time will tell if there are any complications.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
DeathStrudel said:

Whatever they do, is wrong. They leave them how they are and their life will most likely be terrible, unless they share half a body each, what will make it just difficult. They take out the other one and it'd be killing a daughter.

This is sad.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To "separate" them means to make two beings from the one that currently exists. Of course it would be impossible to do that.
However removing one for the sake of the other is not "separating"

(At least that's how I read it.....Where's Densetsu when you need him for clarification....)

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ben_j said:
Is China still applying the one-child policy ? If so, how much does this one count for ?
I was wondering that myself. I think multiple births do not apply seeing as how it's not really their fault.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.