Gaming Chinese Dictionary

agony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm not sure where to post this.

I'm looking for a dictionary that allows the user draw Kanji (Chinese characters) on the touch screen and look them up for the meanings. Is there such a tool?

And is there any other chinese learning tools apart from My chinese coach and the homebrew DSZhongwen?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Try the Canon Wordtank V90.

I have the Canon Wordtank G70, which is the Japanese version of what you're looking for. It's a bit expensive (USD $400), but it's one of the best electronic dictionaries on the market.

This is the only Chinese-teaching DS software I can find other than My Chinese Coach:

2679 - Gakken - Chuugokugo Zanmai DS (???????)

It's a Japanese title, so if you can't read Japanese this software probably won't help much. It shows the phrases in Chinese characters, underneath that the Romanized (PinYin) and finally the meaning in Japanese.

And for future reference, I'd post a question like this either in the General Off-Topic Chat or somewhere in the Other Systems forum.

agony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sigh, so there isn't any chinese dictionary for ds . I have heard of Canon Wordtank V90 before but it's out of my range.

Unfortunately my japanese is even worse than my chinese but thanks for your help anyway. I'll take note of it.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't remember if it allows you to draw characters (probably not), but It might be worth to take a look at NewDictS

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
there is a kanji dictionary for the ds:

kanji sonomama rakubiki jiten

but this is an english-jap dictionary...

there isn't any chinese-eng dictionary on the ds atm, and i wouldn't count on a eng-jap dictionary to give you precise meanings. i do know chinese and a little japanese and i can say that words are often used differently in both languages. also, there are different writing scripts of chinese, ie. fan ti(complicated/old script) and jian bi(simplified script) which doesn't really apply to japanese, meaning you probably can't find many chinese words in a jap dictionary.

my advice is get a proper chinese dictionary... it's a worthy investment for tough language to pick up

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there IS a chinese dictionary for DS as OSW just mentioned. it's called NewDictS. i just discovered it recently and it's actually not that bad. you are limited to using dictionary formatted for StarDict (some open source PC dictionary program) and it also requires one more little step before you copy it to your DS. it took a lot of searching but i found an old Stardict page with about 16 dictionaries (some E->C and some C->E.) from there it just takes a few minutes to get them ready for the DS.

there is no way to draw the character. you can input english and get definitions in chinese characters. i even found one dictionary (maybe based on the CEdict?) that has pinyin. you can also input in pinyin (only one character at a time and no intelligent guessing...you have to know the character you're wanting) and get english definitions.

it works pretty well if you already know a bit of chinese. but no matter what it's worth taking a look at rather than spending a LOT of money on a standalone dictionary (many of which are crap) when you already have a DS.

if you need any help setting it up, send me a PM. and kanji is the japanese word to desribe the characters. hanzi is chinese.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
NewDictS is quite versatile because you choose your dictionary, but as bloodliketheatlantic said, you have to find your own dictionary.

However i don't remember having any trouble with finding them in the past... At least I remember having access to eng > chinese dicts, macquire dicts etc.

NewDictS also supports voice files that go along with the dictionaries
smile.gif
but they can take up alot of space, if you don't have an SDHC card.

Sorry my memory is faint because I haven't used this app in ages!

BTW if you want the latest NewDictS, you'll have to navigate some chinese forums (i think it may have been ndsbbs), as no english board seems to have reported the latest releases. EDIT: Actually I have been wronged i think lol. palib forum should have fairly recent release.

EDIT: these links might help
http://www.stardict.org/
http://forum.palib.info/index.php?topic=2991.0
http://bbs.tvgame360.com.tw/viewthread.php...3D1&page=50

agony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Thanks everyone. I have downloaded NewDictS 0.8 and it works pretty well... I guess I need to brush up on my pinyin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.