Chinavasion CVFH-N03-4G cute little ROM player

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by regnad, Apr 1, 2009.

Apr 1, 2009
  1. regnad
    OP

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    Anyone tried this thing? http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.ph...inment-station/

It looks really good, but of course everything looks good when being presented by the people trying to sell it.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone has this or has used it. Is it solid? What's the screen like? Is it bright enough? The software? Any emulation problems? Is it fairly user-friendly?

It looks kind of nice potentially -- 4gig of internal memory plus SD slot.

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
  3. regnad
    OP

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    That's not so much a review as it is an ad.

Well, it's a LOT smaller than a PSP, and I assume a lot lighter. That's the main appealing thing to me -- it looks like a GBA Micro basically, if not a little big larger with a slightly larger screen. You can just slip it in your pocket.

In fact I have a NDS with a Slot-2 SuperCard, which plays GBA ROMs just fine. But even the NDS is a little bulky for jamming in my pocket.

4. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    I believe this product is the same thing as the Dingoo, which you can find on DealExtreme and any number of other sites. It's kind of a piece of shit; basically what it is is a GBA emulator. It's marketed as a multi-emulator system, but really it just emulates the GBA, and then you can run a few other emulators in GBA mode. Basically it's like having a GBA with a flash card, except this has two layers of emulation instead of one. As a bonus, it has a pretty menu and a media player. Personally I think it's complete crap, but if you desperately want something with the form factor of a GBA Micro that plays MP3s and games and is cheap, this is probably your only option. If it sounds like this is what you're after and you've got the cash to spare for whatever reason, then hey, go for it.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I was under the impression that the Dingoo's other emulators did run natively on the hardware. I'm positive that the SNES emulator at the very least doesn't run in GBA mode, as I've heard mention of "frameskip" which simply doesn't exist in SNES Advance or Snezziboy.

6. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    You'd have to ask Another World, he's done some looking into them and came to that conclusion; I believe he said they were working on developing emulators which would run natively, but perhaps they already have.

7. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    would be interesting to see what its mega drive emulation is like, given that jenisis ds sucks. and i guess it may be able to play gameboy games too, which would make it a good way to play gameboy and gameboy colour games.

other than that, a DS and a pair of flashcards is a far better pocket games console, although, saying that, I do wear cargo pants.

8. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    This thing looks like a piece of junk to me. I'd rather save my pennies and get a wiz. You have a huge community of developers for the wiz and that console even has commercial games now. I have a GP2X F200 and it's fantastic. Neo Geo emulation is top notch. I doubt anything for this console will ever be updated.

9. Dingoo

Newcomer Dingoo Member

United Kingdom
    Yes, they do run natively, and always have.

10. Dingoo

Newcomer Dingoo Member

United Kingdom
    Untrue - firmware updates have been coming out regularly, and there is a community which had produced some unofficial firmware updates as well.

There is also a Linux port, which is looking pretty good, and people are using that as a target for ports of common open source emulators.

The open source emulators work better than the stock ones as well.

In short: official Dingoo updates *are* released, regularly.
    unofficial updates are also produced often, and homebrew software is under very active development.

11. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I'll admit I'm most interested to see if the port of SNES9X will ever adapt the use of speedhacks like the port to the PSP did. The SNES Advance speedhack database isn't complete or anything, but it could help get certain games up to full speed without frameskip. The main issue is that the emulator must be coded to recognize and properly act on the "42" and "DB" opcodes, which are normally never called by SNES games.

12. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Are the Dingoo's on Chinavasion in stock? I heard Dealextreme's aren't, so I might buy one from Chinavasion.

13. Dingoo

Newcomer Dingoo Member

United Kingdom
    Why not buy from a European seller? You'd get it a lot quicker and with less hassle if you had to send it back. You'd also get a unit which was tested before shipping, and which was a genuine export-grade machine.

14. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Well, if you give me proof your site is trustworthy I might do that. Also, how long does it take for the package to ship to Belgium on average?