Chinatown Wars will be bigger than its PSP predecessors

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Dec 24, 2008.

1. War
    OP

War Take it easy~

Oct 26, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

"If you dream of INCREASED SIZE and LONGER SATISFACTION, there's only one place to turn for your portable Grand Theft Auto thrills: and it's not the PSP. Rockstar Leeds president Gordon Hall has told Nintendo Power that Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars will be "far bigger" than any of the GTA games on the Sony handheld, despite that platform's extra grunt.

Which is ideal, really, because Grand Theft Auto titles are all about playing in giant, sprawling cityscapes. Hall also believes the narcotics trafficking game could "stand alone on its own," and promises "more odd jobs, deeper missions, and more moments of over-the-top action" than anything seen in other handheld entries in the franchise. Contrary to any fears that the DS would see a reduced GTA, Rockstar appears to be stretching hardware boundaries ... again."

Source

2. Brian117

Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland, OH
    Orly?

Sweetness.

3. Edgedancer

Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Oct 2, 2006
    Canberra
    Wow. I have never really been interested in a GTA game before but this one is definitely getting my attention.

4. JPH

JPH Banned

Banned
    Jul 11, 2006
    United States
    [​IMG]

To be honest, I don't care how big the game's map, etc. is - it's the gameplay that matters (and judging from the screenshots, it looks like they need to put more effort into the actual gameplay then the city map).

5. Earl

Earl GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2008
    Norway
    I have faith in rockstar, and really look forward to this game D:

6. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Me too, they hardly screw up with GTA.

7. Gman 101

Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2007
    Karkand & Mashtuur City
    Uuuuuuunless it's Rockstar Toronto. They're full of fail. *Refers to GTAIV PC*

Thank God this is done by the more experienced Rockstar teams. I'm really looking forward to this one.... and I'm going to legitimately get it (for free [​IMG])

8. brissmas

brissmas GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2008
    Pallet Town ^-^
    Yup, the GTA series has deliverd us awesome games, i hope this is the same with this! [​IMG]

9. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    I say yes, the two PSP games where decent but felt like ones that were more like add on packs. Also they seemed rushed.

This one has had more development time and this time the devs have catered to the system in question, the PSP one always felt like it was also gonna make other platforms.

10. SpikeyBryan

SpikeyBryan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2008
    United States
    Seattle
    yarly

11. Cablephish

Cablephish Show me...

Apr 23, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    Can't wait for this to come out. The fact that it's coming to DS has me pretty exited, since this is quite a challenge to create. If it becomes good, then I'll consider buying it too. It might become a DS jewel someday, so I want a piece of the action too.

12. gov78

gov78 Ha made you Look

Feb 14, 2007
    London
    it nice to hear there pushing the ds to the limit i mean i hope it doesnt lag at least not alot when theres aload of action. Hopefully this makes enough for more GTA on more Nintendo consoles maybe if this is a big enough hit we could see car jacking on the Wii.

13. Legobot

Legobot GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2008
    Wherever the wind takes me
    I'm worried about the minigames that they put into the game. Hopefully you won't need to play one every time you steal a car

14. Dark

Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 6, 2008
    United States
    I have a lot of doubts about this game and I wish didn't use overhead camra angle [​IMG]

15. Isaiah

Isaiah The Conductor

Aug 24, 2008
    Brisbane
    i used to think gta referred to racing games and yeah the reason? it sounds like it

16. Extreme Coder

Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 25, 2005
    Egypt
    Cairo, Egypt
    Same here.

Sure, the game looks good and all, but the thing about those minigames is that it wouldn't really suit a GTA game ( I could be wrong though)

It's kinda hard for me to believe that a game that will max at 256 mb will be much bigger than the PSP games which were more than 1 GB if I remember correctly.

and since when is bigger ALWAYS better?

Let's hope they don't screw this up.

17. Toni Plutonij

Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2007
    Croatia
    Depths of Nuclear powerplant
    Everything I've seen so far about this game, made me feel like it's a great game, I for once, am really satisfied that they used high camera rather than 3rd person view behind the character..
    Also, in GTA case, bigger is ALWAYS better, as long as game isn't completely broken in gameplay! I doubt this will be a bad game..

18. elixirdream

elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2008
    Malaysia
    6th Dimention
    well it depends on what they mean by BIGGER!
    if Bigger in terms of game content, new things to do...that is a PLUS
    if Bigger in terms of mini games and doing repeating stuff.. i rather don't want [​IMG]

19. Sir-Fritz

Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just because the psp's umd's are much bigger doesnt mean the they are expected to be bigger games. They do have much much better graphics and that uses much more space that the graphics of the the ds games.

20. Knarf

Knarf GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2008
    United States
    I'm really looking forward to this. I doubt it'll be bigger than the psp versions, since it's style is of the classic games.