Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH SMOKE!

This game bombed way harder than the DS version, which sold roughly 80k in its first week and 650,000 world wide.

So why do PSP fans dislike GTA Chinatown wars? Is this game too mature for the PSP audience? Is piracy to blame again, like it was with the DS version?

What is your take on this massively disasterous failure? Some are saying this is the biggest bomb ever on the PSP.

*NPD source numbers come from neogaf.com, a reputable source of NPD information.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p...;postcount=1605

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Borderlands on the PC sold pretty low. Idk if that counts steam sales though. Piracy is probably a good reason for that though.

Dark_linis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I saw on forums, people didn't like that the game looked 2d.

I found nothing wrong with this version or the ds version but people generally prefer the 3d GTA's.

It didn't help either that the previous two PSP GTA's were in full 3d.

Midna said:
I used to be naive like you. Then I got a psp.
yaypsp.gif

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark_linis said:
Midna said:
yaypsp.gif

I used to have a PSP, thought it was okay. Until I got a DS. Ended up selling the PSP. Graphics don't make a game.

As for the game bombing, maybe Rockstar'll learn not to chuck a game that wasn't that great to begin with to a system that has poor sales as it is.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love my PSP its got Youtube and very kick ass Emulators (Something DS will never have) but what the PSP does have is lots of bad games (Something the DS doesn't have much of)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Eh. I used to use Emulators on my PSP, and it was all near full speed. But it was just a novelty to me. I soon went back to emulating my games on the big screen with Wii homebrew. As for youtube, I tried it. I really tried to use it. It was just so damn slow.

Dark_linis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Dark_linis said:
Midna said:
yaynds.gif
Too bad I already have a PSP. Last time I used it was when my computer broke down. Know what I used it for? Looking up a guide for Chrono Trigger DS. Ouch.
I see what you did there...

Not that I'm mad. I love both my DS and PSP
yaynds.gif
yaypsp.gif

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing beats laying down and emulating,im not a fan of the Wii emulation,and as for youtube being to slow... wtf I use PSPtube it only takes 5 seconds to load a video with high memory mod,treats me very well,if thats whats slow for you then you need to fix your net.
tongue.gif

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually Youtube is pretty slow for me on my PSP as well. But on my Ipod Touch its FAST. Can't wait for the GTA Chinatown Wars for Ipod.

Uzumakijl

Trophies
Website
www.uzumakijl.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hop2089 said:
Midna said:
pspsux

The PSP is getting an excellent lineup of games now. The reason for poor sales is that GTA CW just consists of absolute fail.

Exactly.

Depravo said:
It's not that it was a bad game, it's just that people were expecting it to be something it wasn't.

*Insert your favorite misspellings in the following text, I don't feel like doing that myself*

12 years old kid: Hey guys! There's a new GTA coming for PSP!

11 years old kid: It is a piece of s*** IT'S NOT 3D!.

QUOTE(omgpwn666 @ Nov 13 2009, 08:07 PM)
I love my PSP its got Youtube and very kick ass Emulators (Something DS will never have) but what the PSP does have is lots of bad games (Something the DS doesn't have much of)

What? DS has like 2000 Shovelware games, What PSP doesn't have are many games, But the good games it has are really good.

Also at the people blaming PSPtube of being slow need to check their connections, It loaded pretty fast for me.

Anyways it's not like we're gonna die for this game failing.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing it did bad purely because it was a top-down GTA game. Most PSP owners nowadays don't see how a top-down GTA can provide the same satisfaction as a third person shooter type of GTA.

Also, don't turn this into a "IT DIDN'T SELL WELL BECAUSE THE PSP IS BAD" because we all know there are plenty of good PSP games, whether you want to admit it while you're cradling your DS or not.

I think the biggest shame was the lack of a DS sequel. The game was actually pretty damn good.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that sucks..
I though the PSP version was great. Way better than the DS one.
I'm still playing it too.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Its just expectations for 3D GTAs are high especially since GTA IV and the like are so popular. They would think a isometric one that uses a sprite as the character isn't "mature" enough.

I loved the DS version, and my friend loved the PSP version.

I don't blame the audience, I blame pirates like us and the over-success of 3D GTAs.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
I personally think that the game wasn't promoted enough, but I guess the only logical explanation would be because the PSP sux (lol).

I'd have to agree with you there, I didn't even know it came out yet.

Also, for the DS and PSP owners, we honestly see no need to get the PSP version too. It's just the DS version that's a little shinier and less pixelated and then you take out the touch screen controls.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Considering that this post is the first thing to make me aware that it has already come out, I can safely say that the game wasn't promoted well enough. Also, I'm thinking that the vast majority who would have bought the game did so when it came out on DS. This is pure speculation, but I think that the cross-section of people who don't have a DS, people who have a PSP, and people who wanted this game is pretty small.

Considering this was a port, I really hope Rockstar doesn't suffer too much of a loss over the game. This is the best GTA I've played in a long time (haven't played GTA4), and deserves strong sales to back up the stellar ratings it has gotten.

Also, I wonder if the PSN downloads are included. Maybe there were 325,000 downloads that we aren't seeing...

Edit:

Also also, I don't think that the lack of a sequel to this will have been because of sales - there has never been a direct sequel to GTA games (only "Stories" offshoots and the like). I'm sure there have been bigger failures than this on PSP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DTApple
    please let me look cool as well
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzMUJIofNg