Gaming Chinatown Wars is coming to the PSP

caffolote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://kotaku.com/5299516/grand-theft-auto...s-coming-to-psp

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, the highest rated video game in the history of the DS, is coming to the Playstation Portable, Take-Two Interactive announced this morning.

"We're proud to extend this truly unique handheld Grand Theft Auto experience to PSP and offer a downloadable version of Chinatown Wars for PSPgo," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "Rockstar Leeds has shown incredible talent in creating games that raise the bar in terms of depth and innovation on portables, and with Chinatown Wars we have a rich, fast-paced, and incredibly addictive entry into the series."

Despite record review scores, Chinatown Wars sold just 89,000 copies on the DS in it's first month on shelves, leading some to wonder if the DS was a good platform for mature gaming.

It will be interesting to see how Chinatown Wars sales compare on the PSP when it hits in North America and Europe this fall. It could prove that piracy, not maturity, was the real culprit in those sales after all.

"Rockstar's work with the GTA series has been an enormous part of the success of PlayStation platforms," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America. "We're excited to welcome the critically acclaimed Chinatown Wars to the outstanding line-up of great games headed to the PSP platform this fall."

The game will be available as both a digital download on the Playstation Network and on UMD.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
No. Instead its the Sony fanboys that claimed to us saying it will suck that will be ashamed. I remeber lots of Sony fanboys on gamefags saying it will suck. And they are getting it.

Oh well, there won't be touchscreen games..

At least its getting the attention it deserved. I kinda liked it though people are saying its overrated.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, so they think just because they lost sales due to pirating on Nintendo systems, they're going to make it for PSP? Which also has pirating? What the hell?

I swear to God, if Rockstar Games cry about the sales on the PSP version, I will blow my brains out.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
"Another loss for Nintendo fans"

Not really, the game was pretty mediocre at best, Sonyfriends can have it if they want. Would be interesting to see how the replace the touch screen elements, though.

Vice City is still the best GTA.

Brian117 said:
Lol, so they think just because they lost sales due to pirating on Nintendo systems, they're going to make it for PSP? Which also has pirating? What the hell?

I swear to God, if Rockstar Games cry about the sales on the PSP version, I will blow my brains out.

I think what they mean is

"PSP has a more 'mature' audience, therefore if it doesn't sell well we know it'll be piracy instead of a lack of mature DS gamers".

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I mean there's stupidity, and then there's this. Yeah wow Rockstar, go ahead, and we'll see what happens. GTA:CW didn't sell well, why? Well it was the worst GTA i've played, never really caught my attention, i only anticipated it just to see what it would be like. I can't wait to see Rockstar complain again about sales when this comes out.

lurked

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
I mean there's stupidity, and then there's this. Yeah wow Rockstar, go ahead, and we'll see what happens. GTA:CW didn't sell well, why? Well it was the worst GTA i've played, never really caught my attention, i only anticipated it just to see what it would be like. I can't wait to see Rockstar complain again about sales when this comes out.

I thought it was pretty great (it was the only GTA i played)

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It was a good game i liked it better than gta iv but in the psp will it be a direct port of the graphics and stuff or will iy have better graphics

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
It will be interesting to see how Chinatown Wars sales compare on the PSP when it hits in North America and Europe this fall. It could prove that piracy, not maturity, was the real culprit in those sales after all.
What kind of bubble must the author be living in to believe those are the only relevant factors? How about there already being two full scale GTA games on the PSP, which will make the DS port look minimalist by comparison? It was essentially a Drug Wars clone with some driving afterall. And there are also superior driving games like Burnout.

The port may also end up sucking, since they'll have to strip the touch screen portion. And whether they bother to revise the graphics engine to take advantage of the PSP instead of just blowing up the existing resources for higher resolution. And if it fails to offer plenty of new content, then one may assume at least some of the previous customers also own a PSP and will have no incentive to rebuy a game.

It also neglects the fact that piracy and maturity are not mutually exclusive. For example, I'm more inclined to buy DS games when it's for one of the kids than for myself. I don't mind downloading a GTA game and checking it out, but it takes a pretty douchy person to give a child an R4 as a gift.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lurked said:
Maz7006 said:

I thought it was pretty great (it was the only GTA i played)

Its all a matter of opinion really. I think im just to used to all that fancy 3D stuff, but in my opinion GTA 2 was a more pleasing and in general a better game all around than GTA:CW. Speaking of GTA 2, time to whip out the PSone
biggrin.gif

halljames

Trophies
Website
www.hallstudios.co.uk
XP
Country
According to the rockstar website, they are doing the PSP version from the ground up, so its not exactly a port.

My guess is that it will be a similar style to the other PSP GTA games, but just with Chinatown characters,story and maybe some of the game mechanics such as the drug dealing.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i actually liked CW better than all the other ones. the reason is because it is the original overhead style. i didnt like the switch to 3d. however, i did like the bicycle riding in san andreas
smile.gif

Dark_Lord Malik

Proud Pakistani
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
I don't care if they are making a new GTA for PSP. I am no longer a fanboy of any side to be happy or sad about games being ported,remade on other consoles after all it is the company decision who makes it.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it comes out the 20th, but I want to know when it would be released on PSN. I would have thought the same day but was wondering what time. I dunno if its worth staying up a bit later or if I should just sleep, go to school, then come home and download.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls