• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

China - Taiwan conflict

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
until now is just to maintain a good face to the world
They have always claimed Taiwan and made it a requirement to have diplomatic relations. I don´t know what you are talking about. BTW the Republic of China also considers only one China and has more territorial claims than Beijing. Though with time this official stance will fade.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If things go to the worse, Taiwan is done, no country can really do nothing against China, the only reason they haven't do something drastic until now is just to maintain a good face to the world, but I think as soon as they get enough wolrdwide influence, Taiwan is done.
I would still wait and see what goes for China vis a vis their population crash, economic crash (I have not kept up with the coal and housing crash this last week or so to know if they plugged those holes yet but neither were particularly black swan events nobody predicted, similarly they keep being underbid for cheap labour), water (between pollution and lack of it then that is measured in years and not decades), political instability (they are going rather authoritarian, even by China standards, rather quickly).
If belt and road gets locked in before those all become terminal, and the US does not implode, EU similarly limps along then Taiwan becomes war of pressure relief rather than training level for world dominance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free