China avoids dialects on film, TV

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by antonkan, Jul 20, 2009.

Jul 20, 2009
  1. antonkan
    OP

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Well, the use of non-Mandarin Chinese dialect will disappear on Chinese television. Here's the news:

Source: CBC News

EDIT: Sorry, Dialects are not just subtitles, but I think it's spoken. I forgot to remove "Dialects are just like subtitles." Sorry about that!

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    For giggles:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/broad...ip-1449238.html

Also see all the jokes about news anchormen anywhere in the world. Hell we even have the term "BBC accent" for a reason.

Were I more interested in typing right now I would ponder the significance of the similar things that befell Ip Man (excellent Chinese martial arts film) a few months back.

3. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Very ridiculous at best, the Chinese government should embrace the dialects since it's part of Chinese culture.

4. antonkan
    OP

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    True that. Mandarin Chinese is national spoken language of the People's Republic of China, while Simplified Chinese is the national written language in this country. There are other languages of China too, including the Mongolian language and the Tibetan language.

5. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    Thankfully, this isnt going to happen with HK.
    Because we can have our own rules.

But we still have films that are dubbed in English here, and that's all i care about.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I was fully aware of what I posted and when it was from; I was attempting to draw parallels.

Although it is nice to see China catching up with the rest of the world rather than the other way around (I find it endlessly amusing to see people rail against the great firewall and then welcome the same thing when their government introduces it).