China Arrests 49 Leaders of Underground Christian Church

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BEIJING (AP) — Chinese police have detained 49 leaders of an underground Protestant church in a central province, an advocacy group and local official said Wednesday.

The U.S.-based China Aid Association said all three floors of a church building in Henan province’s Weishi county were searched and thousands of dollars worth of property were seized during the raid Tuesday on a religious education seminar.

Also detained were three Korean citizens, including a Bible instructor, the group said. South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said it had no immediate information about the reported detentions, which reflect long-standing ties between South Korean church groups and Chinese believers.

An official with the Weishi county religious affairs bureau confirmed Wednesday the detentions but gave no details. Like many Chinese officials, he gave only his surname, Sun.

China requires all religious groups to register and accept Communist Party oversight, although millions of believers continue to worship in unregistered congregations that typically have an evangelistic, charismatic character.

That includes members of Beijing’s unregistered Shouwang Church, who have recently repeatedly defied police demands and attempted to gather for banned outdoor services, leading dozens to be detained. The group, which includes numerous intellectuals, was evicted from its rented space under police pressure.

Rural congregations, drawn from poorer, less-educated communities, tend to be more vulnerable to coercion from authorities.

This month, a U.S. commission listed China as one of the worst violators of religious freedoms. Beijing denies the charge.

Tuesday’s raid came on the second and final day of twice-annual high-level talks between U.S. and Chinese officials that were overshadowed by sharp U.S. criticism of China’s human rights record.

In an interview published Tuesday on the website of The Atlantic magazine, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said China’s human rights record was “deplorable” and that history was not on the side of governments that resist democracy.[/p]

source

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you wanna worship your God, be prepared to believe in Communism as well, or suffer legal action and potential brutality.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am not sure this news has anything to do with Gbatemp. Its not CNN here. I will say that to every news that where i feel that way.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magsor said:
I am not sure this news has anything to do with Gbatemp. Its not CNN here. I will say that to every news that where i feel that way.

while your point is valid, I just post it for people to discuss. I see nothing wrong with that. If I get a private message from a moderator requesting that I stop posting general news, I will quit at once.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Living Shadow said:
In an interview published Tuesday on the website of The Atlantic magazine, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said China’s human rights record was “deplorable” and that history was not on the side of governments that resist democracy.

(applause)

jerome27

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anonkit said:
I wonder why these Christian missionaries always prey on "poor" and "less educated" communities.

rolleyes.gif

Yeah because they should just let those people suffer in their squalor.

I'm no charlie church but Christians do more to help the poor and the sick than any other religion. Just take a drive around your own home town. There are no "muslim, atheist, jewish, hindu soup kitchens."

If you think you're special get out there and help people. Until then STFU. These people have more bravery and courage then you'll ever have. And they're doing more to help the world than you'll ever do.

QUOTE(CCNaru @ May 11 2011, 01:43 PM) Too bad nobody's gonna do shit since China's the big dog now

That's actually a myth.

China is 100% dependent on American consumerism. Without American's buying Chinese product the entire nation would go under.

Just last year China was forced to close certain major toy factories. The factory workers were rioting in the streets. They actually lived in the factories. And the closures were connected directly to the poor American economy. America buys more Chinese crap than any other nation.

tl:dr = China is America's bitch. And America quietly rules the world.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

anonkit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jerome27 said:
anonkit said:
I wonder why these Christian missionaries always prey on "poor" and "less educated" communities.

rolleyes.gif

I'm no charlie church but Christians do more to help the poor and the sick than any other religion. Just take a drive around your own home town. There are no "muslim, atheist, jewish, hindu soup kitchens."

If you think you're special get out there and help people. Until then STFU. These people have more bravery and courage then you'll ever have. And they're doing more to help the world than you'll ever do.

That's cause you probably live in Podunk, West Virginia where the vast majority of locals are Christians. When the Tsunami struck Japan a while back, one of the first donors at my college was a Muslim student association.

I'm all about social welfare for the poor. If you want to do good, then by all means do it. But if you want to get Jesus involved in all this, then fuck off. Some countries are culturally distinct and they have a right to protect their citizens from what they regard as senseless bullshit.

jerome27 said:
CCNaru said:
Too bad nobody's gonna do shit since China's the big dog now

That's actually a myth.

China is 100% dependent on American consumerism. Without American's buying Chinese product the entire nation would go under.

Just last year China was forced to close certain major toy factories. The factory workers were rioting in the streets. They actually lived in the factories. And the closures were connected directly to the poor American economy. America buys more Chinese crap than any other nation.

tl:dr = China is America's bitch. And America quietly rules the world.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=apSqGtcNsqSY

Like how when Hilary Clinton was first appointed Secretary of State, she had to get her ass over to China and beg like a little bitch for the Chinese to continue buying U.S. treasury bonds? Then badmouth behind their backs when things don't go your way (kind of like what this article is all about)? Fuck all this human rights rhetoric bullshit.

Take a basic macroeconomics class, it's not that simple.

QUOTE(Thesolcity @ May 11 2011, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE(anonkit @ May 11 2011, 08:17 PM)
I wonder why these Christian missionaries always prey on "poor" and "less educated" communities. Reminds me of this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/12/26/...E5BP06R20091226

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35268273/ns/wo...-us-missionary/

Serves them right. Kudos to the Chinese gov't.

So someone strides into a communist government, tells their leader to shut down a brutal prison camp, and he's at fault? Fighting for human rights is wrong now?

You want to bail those idiots out with your taxpayer dollars? You want your government to waste political capital to court those "communist dictators"? If that makes you sleep better at night, yeah okay.

jerome27

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anonkit said:
jerome27 said:
anonkit said:

rolleyes.gif

That's cause you probably live in Podunk, West Virginia where the vast majority of locals are Christians. When the Tsunami struck Japan a while back, one of the first donors at my college was a Muslim student association.

I'm all about social welfare for the poor. If you want to do good, then by all means do it. But if you want to get Jesus involved in all this, then fuck off. Some countries are culturally distinct and they have a right to protect their citizens from what they regard as senseless bullshit.

Ahh, I get it now. You're an anti-religion bigot. Its fine if a "Muslim student organization" gets involved but the second the Christians step in suddenly they're wrong. Bigots make me sick. You expect people to tolerate your beliefs but you show no tolerance towards the beliefs of others. No wonder you support the brutal oppression of innocent people. In your heart you're exactly like these tyrants.

Also: >Implying Christians don't help more people than any other religion. (Which they do.)

Also: >Implying China isn't dependent on American consumerism. (Which they are.)

Posts merged

QUOTE(Thesolcity @ May 11 2011, 04:06 PM) QUOTE(anonkit @ May 11 2011, 08:17 PM)
I wonder why these Christian missionaries always prey on "poor" and "less educated" communities. Reminds me of this:

[url=http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/12/26/...E5BP06R20091226]http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/12/26/...E5BP06R20091226[/url]

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35268273/ns/wo...-us-missionary/]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35268273/ns/wo...-us-missionary/[/url]

So someone strides into a communist government, tells their leader to shut down a brutal prison camp, and he's at fault? Fighting for human rights is wrong now?

Thank you for reaffirming my faith in the intelligence of humanity. Well said.

applause.gif.

anonkit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last time I checked, Islam was also a "religion" lol. I don't want to argue with you. But if you're going to go off to some distant non-Christian country across the Ocean to "spread the word," that's all dandy fine--just don't expect my taxpaying dollars to be bailing your ass out of their country when the shits hit the fan. Thanks.

Thesolcity

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anonkit said:
Last time I checked, Islam was also a "religion" lol. I don't want to argue with you. But if you're going to go off to some distant non-Christian country across the Ocean to "spread the word," that's all dandy fine--just don't expect my taxpaying dollars to be bailing your ass out of their country when the shits hit the fan. Thanks.

DID YOU READ THE ARTICLES YOU LINKED?!?!

The guy didn't want taxpayer dollars bailing him out, he CLEARLY stated so.
And he came back on a commercial flight from Bejing (Which is in China, not U.S.).
Where did our taxpaying dollars go? NOWHERE.

ALSO:
He didn't go there to "spread the word", he went to raise awareness about the prison camp because he felt it was his duty as a christian to fight for human rights.

On second thought, maybe the tax dollars went up your ass, along with your head.

anonkit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thesolcity said:
anonkit said:

DID YOU READ THE ARTICLES YOU LINKED?!?!

The guy didn't want taxpayer dollars bailing him out, he CLEARLY stated so.
And he came back on a commercial flight from Bejing (Which is in China, not U.S.).
Where did our taxpaying dollars go? NOWHERE.

ALSO:
He didn't go there to "spread the word", he went to raise awareness about the prison camp because he felt it was his duty as a christian to fight for human rights.

On second thought, maybe the tax dollars went up your ass, along with your head.

Are you that dull? Do you know how to read between the lines? Just because one mentally-problematic person claimed something does not necessarily make it so. Remember the whole fiasco where two journalists were "abducted" by North Korea? Yeah, Bill Clinton had to be called in to negotiate their release. Let's also not forget past government bailouts of American citizens stranded in North Korea by the New Mexico governor Bill Richardson.

Even if we suppose the State Department did not bail him out, his release was certainly used as propaganda fodder for the North Korean regime:

http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2010/201002/new...00205-08ee.html

"I trespassed on the border due to my wrong understanding of the DPRK caused by the false propaganda made by the West to tarnish its image." - Robert Park

Yeah, so much for the advancement of human rights in the DPRK, huh?

Seriously, for those of you that think this man has contributed to the advancement of social progress or human rights in North Korea, then you are grossly misunderstood. If anything, this has only made a fool of the United States in the eyes of the North Koreans and ultimately harmed U.S. efforts to bring back the North to multilateral talks to disarm their nuclear weaponry.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

Thesolcity

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say anything about him advancing anything. I said he went there to raise awareness and try to shut down a prison camp, which he rose awareness for.
QUOTE said:
Remember the whole fiasco where two journalists were "abducted" by North Korea?
Key word there: JOURNALISTS, not christians.
QUOTEI wonder why these Christian missionaries always prey on "poor" and "less educated" communities
There was no mention of it being a poor or less educated community, you have no evidence of this.

All you've made yourself look like in this thread is biased against Christians. You don't have any proof taxpayers' dollars were spent on a commercial flight from China, this guy went there to RAISE AWARENESS about a brutal prison camp which in turn this article and news coverage did. You tried to pin some form of blame on Christians earlier in the thread by implying we constantly spend tax dollars bailing them out of international jails for preaching their message. Instead of citing a story where someone from the U.S. was jailed on basis of religion causing us to spend taxpayer dollars on their bail, you bring up a story about journalists imprisoned in Korea on non-religious grounds. You tried to use the articles you linked to as evidence of your "international Bailout" theory which clearly state the victim did not want taxpayer dollars spent on his bail, and upon further reading state Korea releases him, free of charge. This case is over and done with. Moderators, may we have your verdict?

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
anonkit said:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/12/26/...E5BP06R20091226

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35268273/ns/wo...-us-missionary/

On account of this man's masterful subject changing lets go back to the source of the problem, I'll speak it in terms everyone here will understand so you don't fool them. Y U NO POST LEGITIMATE SAUCE THAT IS RELATIVE TO THE POINT YOU ARE TRYING TO PROVE?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Magsor said:
If you don't like the content of a thread (and it's not against the rules), then don't enter it, and don't post in it.

Then you don't have to see the stuff you don't want to see, and people don't have to see you bitching.

Win-win.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol