Chiips To Share for me and You

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bullet2urbrain, Sep 19, 2007.

Sep 19, 2007
  1. bullet2urbrain
    OP

Newcomer bullet2urbrain Member

United States
    Hey everyone,

So last night in a calm cool mood after i had a few [​IMG] i attempted to finish my Wii mod, the Chiips one... I had my Wii apart already and just needed to solder the 30awg wire to the CD Drive and to the Micrcontroller.

My friend who has already done 4 or so Chiips installs flashed my Microcontroller for me using his programmer and so i just installed on mine.... now the question is....

1.) I used a 70W Iron, PCB still looks good all the solder pads are intact, albeit larger than i would of like due to CRAYON like soldering iron/solder, and the LED on my mod chiip lights... but how do i know the mod chiip is functioning?? i do not have any backups of my games yet because i have no reason to but i want to test? any way to do this?

2.) I left the Chiip inside the wii tucked back by the sensor bar plugin any harm to be done with it there?

3.) Theory: What if one of the soldered connections comes undone from the CD Drive... will the Wii still function as normal? or will it brick itself?

Thanks Everyone
    Cheers [​IMG]

2. webjedi

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You hear mixed stories on other mod chips and imagine the same true with the Chiip. Haven't heard of a bricking - but if a wire came lose and crossed with another it could short and brick the box. Typically when a wire comes lose the box will stop playing backups or originals or both - but once the wire is fixed the functionality returns.

Overall the Chiip seems like a nice idea - make your own mod chip. It was interesting reading up on it.

http://chiip.descrambler.de/index.php/Main_Page

But personally I wouldn't want to keep opening up the Wii to re-flash the chip for each update.

3. bullet2urbrain
    OP

Newcomer bullet2urbrain Member

United States
    Thanks for your insight... I soldered all summer with adjustable temp constant current irons.. ESD safe and all that jazz for FAA reg type stuff so switching to the "crayon" of soldering irons was tricky.

Thanks again.

The reason i was curious about the wire coming loose is, it took me about 4 tries to get all the wires to stay intact both from the ProtoBoard i used to mount everything to,and from the solder pad on the Wii and im skeptical that they will stay intact forever.

Y'argh mateys for Talk like a pirate day [​IMG]