Chiip - Need help please

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by crkhobbit, Sep 13, 2007.

1. crkhobbit
    OP

crkhobbit Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2007
    United States
    I've been searching for this problem here and elsewhere, for over a day before posting, can't find it.

After alot of troubleshooting along the way, I think I have everything working, except that it doesn't. When I boot up, the LED stays on solid like it should and I can play normal nintendo discs fine. However, I still cannot play my backups. I usually get an error saying that the disc cannot be read I need to read the operations manual, and sometimes I get a black screen of death.

I've quadruple checked all my connections, resoldered my wires to the wii, tried different burning techniques and burned two different games (cause that's all I have) at 4x and 2.4x speeds. My chiip is in the socket correctly. I do not receive any errors from avrdude. I ran BrickBlocker on my backups as well, could this have caused a problem?

I also tried the OpenWii firmware and cannot tell that I have a chip at all using that, no LED activity. I am using TDK DVD+R 1-16x discs.

Could the problem be the DVDs I'm using? They're listed on the chiip site as working. The two games I have backed up are Call of Duty and Tiger Woods if it matters. I have the GC2-DMS chipset.

In other words, I cannot find a problem other than it does not work. Any advice is appreciated! I don't have a camera available at the moment for solder connections, but like I said the LED is solid.

2. Pikachu025

Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2006
    Australia
    Austria
    Try a DVD-R, not a +R one. I doubt this actually is the problem, but I've heard that a bunch of Wiis have problems reading +. My PS2 is like that too, +s don't get recognized (Verbatim ones!), yet -s of the same brand work perfectly.

3. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Yeah, the wii has problems with DVD+R, infact Wiikey themselfs recommend DVD-R.

Ironicly tho it reads DVD+RWs better than DVD-RW what I have heard, I use DVD+RW (Verbatim) to try games, then burn them on normal DVD-R when I know they are nice enought.

4. crkhobbit
    OP

crkhobbit Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2007
    United States
    Ok, will try, thanks for the input.

5. Smack

Smack GBAtemp Regular

Jun 13, 2006
    Canada
    Vancouver, BC
  6. crkhobbit
    OP

crkhobbit Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2007
    United States
    Got some DVD-Rs and they didn't work either with the 0.91 firmware on my GC2-DMS wii. I loaded the beta5 firmware and the DVD-Rs are working but DVD+Rs are not, as expected.

So apparently the 0.91 firmware is broken. Thanks for all the input guys!

7. Pikachu025

Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2006
    Australia
    Austria
    0.91 firmware works perfectly for DVD-Rs and DVD+RWs here, dunno what's your problem. Bad flash?

8. crkhobbit
    OP

crkhobbit Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2007
    United States
    I believe I reflashed v0.9.1 once and it still wasn't working before trying the beta5. It works so I'm hesitant to mess with it too much right now. I may build another chip for further testing at some point, if I can find out if my friend's wii has the drive pins cut or not.