Hacking chiip issues

rrburkha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, i just installed a chiip on my wii (DMS chip set, ATmega8) and it is not working. it still runs originals but the two backups that i have tried do not work. i checked all of the connections and they appear to be all right. also, when the system is on the led that i hooked up to the ic socket does not appear to light up but it may just be that i cant see it.

i used avrdude to program it, but for some reason avrdude is not working for me right now. when i run the command that i used last time, i get an error that says "'avrdude' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

one more thing, it may just be my imagination, but it seems like it is taking longer to read my originals leading me to believe that maybe the dvd drive is running at 2x as a result of the chiip.

i used memorex dvd+r with dvd-rom booktype and burned at 4x

any info would be appreciated

Fatal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok, i just installed a chiip on my wii (DMS chip set, ATmega8) and it is not working. it still runs originals but the two backups that i have tried do not work. i checked all of the connections and they appear to be all right. also, when the system is on the led that i hooked up to the ic socket does not appear to light up but it may just be that i cant see it.

i used avrdude to program it, but for some reason avrdude is not working for me right now. when i run the command that i used last time, i get an error that says "'avrdude' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

one more thing, it may just be my imagination, but it seems like it is taking longer to read my originals leading me to believe that maybe the dvd drive is running at 2x as a result of the chiip.

i used memorex dvd+r with dvd-rom booktype and burned at 4x

any info would be appreciated
Ok, if your LED is not lighting then something is probably wrong with your connections. Did you solder to the right points on the chip? The Chiip schematics are done looking at the part from the top. If you thought it was looking from the bottom you may have your connections reversed. That would explain why the LED doesn't light up. If they are all right then check and see if they are connected well.

As for avrdude, did you ever successfully program the Chiip? If the only thing you've gotten is that error, then of course your Chiip isn't going to work.
Try this:
Goto the downloads section of http://chiip.descrambler.de
Download AVRDude Batch files & Chiip Beta 4
Download Chiip-v1_0_beta5-atmega8.zip
Extract AVRDude Batch files & Chiip Beta 4
Extract Chiip-v1_0_beta5-atmega8.hex to the same folder as the AVRdude batch files
Right click on program.bat, then click edit
Change the first line from
avrdude -p m8 -c sp12 -U flash:w:chiip_firmware_v1_0_beta_4.hex -U lfuse:w:0xE3:m
to
avrdude -p m8 -c sp12 -U flash:w:chiip-v1_0_beta5-atmega8.hex -U lfuse:w:0xE3:m
Save program.bat
Run giveio.bat
Run program.bat
It should program fine then.

rrburkha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so it turns out that im just an idiot. i put the chip in the socket backwards and i didnt notice until just now. it works like a charm now so im off to play tiger woods. thanks for the help

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, I did that when I went to program it for the first time. I took the programmer apart, checked everything, then tried again. I still got the communication error, then I looked and realized I had it in backwards
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but... +1