Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I am VERY HAPPY tonight : after messing with the Dolphin ram manager, I was able to find a Gecko code that will enable players to select their level after a loading screen.

For example, if you start at the Chibi-House and set the parameter on "Kitchen", you will find yourself in it instead of the lounge.

That made it possible for me to enter the "Debug Room", which I had translated without actually knowing what the result would be.

Therefore, I should be able to beta test these rooms too! That should be fun.

Below are screenshots of the debug room, please be aware there are several of them (for further info : https://tcrf.net/Chibi-Robo!/Debugging_Rooms)

R24J01_2022-08-14_21-58-05.png

R24J01_2022-08-14_21-58-35.png

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Wil you be releasing a patcher for this translation?
Hello, this will be a Riivolution patch, but as usual I'll be providing the method to modify the iso.

This is primarly made for retail disc owners, plus making a patcher could be frustrating for people who wouldn't have the same exact copy I do (iso/wbfs, with or without update partition, bad dump, etc... believe me, there are a lot of combinations, and some people don't always show a lot of patience) :huh:

Have a good day!

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, this will be a Riivolution patch, but as usual I'll be providing the method to modify the iso.

This is primarly made for retail disc owners, plus making a patcher could be frustrating for people who wouldn't have the same exact copy I do (iso/wbfs, with or without update partition, bad dump, etc... believe me, there are a lot of combinations, and some people don't always show a lot of patience) :huh:

Have a good day!
Atleast it will be easier than patching Earth Seeker...

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Atleast it will be easier than patching Earth Seeker...
That is, unless you have a different iso, even by one byte.

I suppose you're aware that, apart from everything I mentioned, some games even had several versions of them released (US version of "Twilight Princess", Japanese game "Tales of Graces", European version of "Prince of Persia",etc.)

That is the reason I could never patch "Tales of" in Spanish correctly: the patcher is based on an older disc version than mine.

Nevertheless, the easiest method of all is to use Riivolution, and I have always focused on making it possible for people who actually own a disc to play their games.

The tutorial I provide for modifying an iso is only there because most of the time people (me included) dump their games into a hard drive, so they'll have faster access, and won't put their Wii disc reader to intense use.

I'm of course aware that not all users own a retail copy : if these people can't manage to patch their isos and don't find an answer here (and I have never refused to answer so far), they can always look for prepatched copies on the Internet.

Reactions: ChibiMofo

Daedalus015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is, unless you have a different iso, even by one byte.

I suppose you're aware that, apart from everything I mentioned, some games even had several versions of them released (US version of "Twilight Princess", Japanese game "Tales of Graces", European version of "Prince of Persia",etc.)

That is the reason I could never patch "Tales of" in Spanish correctly: the patcher is based on an older disc version than mine.

Nevertheless, the easiest method of all is to use Riivolution, and I have always focused on making it possible for people who actually own a disc to play their games.

The tutorial I provide for modifying an iso is only there because most of the time people (me included) dump their games into a hard drive, so they'll have faster access, and won't put their Wii disc reader to intense use.

I'm of course aware that not all users own a retail copy : if these people can't manage to patch their isos and don't find an answer here (and I have never refused to answer so far), they can always look for prepatched copies on the Internet.

I was actually thinking of creating a patcher program / wizard for our translation.

One that would offer two options:
1) ISO/WBFS Mode: Attempt to unpackage -> patch -> repackage an ISO / WBFS.
2) Riivolution SDCard Mode: Create the Riivolution directory structure and XML file placement automatically.

I can definitely see how game version mismatches would create all sorts of problems. But, I wonder if one could perform an MD5 hash on the provided ISO -> check it against a registry of versions available -> patch accordingly? And if not in the registry, then provide guidance to the user for doing so manually. It also seems with these older Wii games, there has to be a certain limit to the number of versions floating around.

That'll probably be the course I'll be taking. But I don't see why it couldn't work as a more generic patcher for any Wii game. Do you happen to know any existing libraries for automating the unpacking / repackage of ISO / WBFS? I've read about Wiimms ISO Tool and ISO Patcher, but both require extraneous dependencies such as Cygwin. Do you know of any .NET libraries (or possibly cross-platform) with little/no dependencies which can provide the unpackage / repackage logic?

Last edited by Daedalus015,

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I was actually thinking of creating a patcher program / wizard for our translation.

One that would offer two options:
1) ISO/WBFS Mode: Attempt to unpackage -> patch -> repackage an ISO / WBFS.
2) Riivolution SDCard Mode: Create the Riivolution directory structure and XML file placement automatically.

I can definitely see how game version mismatches would create all sorts of problems. But, I wonder if one could perform an MD5 hash on the provided ISO -> check it against a registry of versions available -> patch accordingly? And if not in the registry, then provide guidance to the user for doing so manually. It also seems with these older Wii games, there has to be a certain limit to the number of versions floating around.

That'll probably be the course I'll be taking. But I don't see why it couldn't work as a more generic patcher for any Wii game. Do you happen to know any existing libraries for automating the unpacking / repackage of ISO / WBFS? I've read about Wiimms ISO Tool and ISO Patcher, but both require extraneous dependencies such as Cygwin. Do you know of any .NET libraries (or possibly cross-platform) with little/no dependencies which can provide the unpackage / repackage logic?
Hello @Daedalus015 ,

I don't know about any library that would do that, but if your translation weighs less than 30 mega, I know Romhacking provides an on-the-fly patching system developed by Marc Robledo (https://github.com/marcrobledo/RomPatcher.js/)

Never tried it myself, and I guess it's primarly used for roms that are much smaller than an iso, but it might be worth a try to contact Marc and see if he can give you any advice ?

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
classified add.jpg

Good evening everyone,

The time has come for me to beta test the patch, and I'm looking for people willing to help me do so.

If you are interested, and have enough spare time to completely invest yourself in this, please leave me a message so we can discuss the subject.

If you already know the game and have played it to its full extend on Game Cube, that would be really helpful.

Depending on the amount of people who will contact me (if any), I'm thinking of having a group of 4 or 5 people max, so things don't get too messy.

The main purpose will be to identify bugs and freezes (let's hope there won't be any), as well as typos and "obscure" sentences.

Please remember this translation is not and couldn't be a perfect verbatim of the Game Cube version (please refer to my previous messages for the reasons why).

But I believe it's still very faithful, sometimes even more than the international release, may I say : I just want to emphasize that we won't be discussing the changes, unless they made things unclear, that type of things.

So if you're interested in having your name in the acknowledgments, please contact me here! :)

And for the "regular" players, please be a little bit more patient, you should play the game by the end of the year!

Yours truly.

FM_Wii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
View attachment 327762

Good evening everyone,

The time has come for me to beta test the patch, and I'm looking for people willing to help me do so.

If you are interested, and have enough spare time to completely invest yourself in this, please leave me a message so we can discuss the subject.

If you already know the game and have played it to its full extend on Game Cube, that would be really helpful.

Depending on the amount of people who will contact me (if any), I'm thinking of having a group of 4 or 5 people max, so things don't get too messy.

The main purpose will be to identify bugs and freezes (let's hope there won't be any), as well as typos and "obscure" sentences.

Please remember this translation is not and couldn't be a perfect verbatim of the Game Cube version (please refer to my previous messages for the reasons why).

But I believe it's still very faithful, sometimes even more than the international release, may I say : I just want to emphasize that we won't be discussing the changes, unless they made things unclear, that type of things.

So if you're interested in having your name in the acknowledgments, please contact me here! :)

And for the "regular" players, please be a little bit more patient, you should play the game by the end of the year!

Yours truly.

Hello, i would like to be part of the Beta testing program

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Hello, i would like to be part of the Beta testing program
Thanks for offering to help, @FM_Wii . I take it from your name that you're a fellow Wii lover? :)

I guess that concludes the "recruitment campaign" then. @FM_Wii , @FeminineEminem , @Legas3_14 , @Chao-Etta , @CAugustusM , you're in for a month or so of hardcore Chibi-Robo game sessions!

I'm preparing everything, and will come back to you soon on a private chat.

@Maeson , I enjoyed our previous collaborations very much. So if you're in for one more and got the time, don't hesitate to DM me!

See you soon everyone, I might publish some of our work here, and I'll be sure to come back when the patch is ready!

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Beta testing is going smoothly : the team we've gathered is very much involved, and I take the opportunity to thank them all for that.

Meanwhile, I'm working on the readme file, hoping Romhacking won't (as they did with the "Odekake Earth Seeker" patch) give me trouble for using some commercial artwork of a 20-something year-old games in it!

I wanna do something different this time, and am trying to give the readme a "washing machine instruction booklet" look.

What do you think of it? I, for one, like the "©Citrusoft 2005", and will try to find a picture of Giga-Robo which will, as you might have guessed, have a "©Citrusoft 1995" mention nearby! :)

Chibi README FIRST.jpg

Care to share your thoughts? Does it look too "austere" for you?

Looking forward to reading from you, have a nice WE!

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Can I please please me the final tester? Got a pal wii I want to use to test with.
Hello,

To be honest we're already fairly advanced in the beta testing, so by the time you reach the level the other testers are, I'll probably be ready to release the patch.

But don't worry, judging by our speed, and if nothing unexpected happens, the patch should be out this month!

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
The only thing that needs to be added to the patch instruction is a couple of checksums. The checksum of the original iso image and the checksum of the iso image that should be after the patch. The first ones are on gametdb. Then people won't have to play a guessing game whether they succeeded in patching or not as always.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

To be honest we're already fairly advanced in the beta testing, so by the time you reach the level the other testers are, I'll probably be ready to release the patch.

But don't worry, judging by our speed, and if nothing unexpected happens, the patch should be out this month!
Releasing the english patch on October? Spoooooooooky, kinda fitting seeing the toys come out at night.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Releasing the english patch on October? Spoooooooooky, kinda fitting seeing the toys come out at night.
That could work... Beta testers will probably be done before Halloween, but I still have to play the game thoroughly myself, and then there's the traditional trailer, for which I have already set my mind on the soundtrack (you all know what song it is).

I have a general idea of how the video will be, but this will be done last. So yeah, I guess Halloween's manageable, although I don't want to rush anything on the final line!

• Love

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
The only thing that needs to be added to the patch instruction is a couple of checksums. The checksum of the original iso image and the checksum of the iso image that should be after the patch. The first ones are on gametdb. Then people won't have to play a guessing game whether they succeeded in patching or not as always.
But would the checksum be the same for people who've dumped the "update" partition, compared to those who didn't, for example?

I was under the impression ISOS would be of the same size, only with more "blank" data for the ones without the update partition : that would necessarily change the checksum?

Anyway, while I'll admit checksum is a capital info for xdelta patches and such, and can certainly be convenient in any case, replacing files works differently, so as long as your ISO isn't corrupted, you don't need an exact copy of mine for the patch to work.

eduall

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Omg this is surreal, this is the only one chibi robo game than I never played... Already finished the 2 Ds and the 3ds games! Waiting for the release🙏

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
But would the checksum be the same for people who've dumped the "update" partition, compared to those who didn't, for example?

I was under the impression ISOS would be of the same size, only with more "blank" data for the ones without the update partition : that would necessarily change the checksum?
Sure, if something is removed, added or altered in the disk image, the checksum will change. That's the whole point of checksums.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...